Liked: 105

Default Anyone have the Story???

This happened before I started racing.

I have seen this picture many times and never bothered to ask what happened and how?

Looks like corner 1 at Mosport?

Looks like the car missed the gravel trap all together?

Anyone there for this?
    Last edited by nbrigido; 05.03.15 at 6:44 PM.
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

Liked: 304

No idea.

But that won't stop me from diagnosing the picture

The car hanging on the fence has a fence support to the topside of the car, indicating to me that he went over the fence from left to right in the picture.

The car to the left is stopped in a good position to serve as a launching ramp and has a destroyed front end which may have been hit by another car.

None of the tires appear to be dislodged, indicating the car over the fence flew over the tire wall and the car resting in the gravel did not hit the tire wall.

Could be something outside the photo to change the diagnosis, but it would appear to me the fence rider hit the car in the gravel front to front and launched up and over the catch fence.

I'll be interested in the actual circumstances.

YMMV

Liked: 18

I think Shane/Sam have the back story. That hanging car was to become one of the AVR cars.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4358

The actual incident is pretty obvious as noted. Brainless rental driver, who had been crashing cars all year, was starting from the back, after misadventure in the previous session, and apparently never lifted as cars spun in front of him, and ends up hanging from the fence.

What you don't see, is the fence was there because there is a ravine behind, and almost a shear drop off of 8-10 feet below the wall. We were shut down for over an hour as nobody could figure out how to get the car down. The driver was unhurt, and decided to climb out and down ...... with pictures and video to treasure as he disappeared into a boring life working in the family business.
    Last edited by problemchild; 11.25.14 at 9:33 AM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 200

At the time, the car was being run by TLM...I believe it was Taylor Near. He went on to drive with Brian Graham

Taylor had issues in qualifying and was forced to start at the back on Saturday's race. The driver of the yellow BRD is Carl Woychuk. He was an occasional racer, and this was his first race in quite some time, happy to be out there at the back. On the start of the race, Taylor decided he wanted to be at the front of the field after corner 1...Carl took his natural line, and the cars came together. Taylor went over top of Carl (this is how he missed the gravel trap all together), cartwheeled over the tires and then over the fence. Both drivers were ok, however neither one finished the weekend.

I was in this race, and remember sitting on the front straight during the red flag yelling at the other drivers back and forth. Nobody saw it because it happened at the back of the field, but rumors were circulating that a car was over the fence...never thought it could have been true!

The car ended up turning into the AVR #24 BRD
    Shane Viccary
    #27 Citation-Zink Z-16

Liked: 36

You could say it was a NEAR miss,talk about lucky!!! it could have turned out a lot worse for him.

Thread Information