Thread: windows 8.1

Liked: 27

Default windows 8.1

Got a new computer with Windows 8.1 , now thumbnail pics won't open. Any ideas ?? Thanks, Pops
    God is my pilot, I'm just the loose nut behind the wheel !

Liked: 296

Wait, there's a windows 8?
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

Liked: 157

Default Work Around

I have had this intermittently with 7. My workaround is to right click and do open in new tab. today my computer at work for the first time in months opened normally when I clicked on the pictures here on Apexspeed

Liked: 307

I have a box running 8.1 and IE11 - no problems. You may want to try changing your 'compatibility' setting for this site.

Contributing Member northarrowracing's Avatar
    Liked: 36

Default It's like relearning how to walk

Our old computer died 6 months ago and the new one came with 8.1, hate it, hate it, like everyone else. Finally got most things working but could not send e mails outgoing. A friend said stop using Explorer, which was all we had ever used. Downloaded FireFox and all emails will come in and go out fine now. But guess what? The only way to print something is to go back and use Explorer. I am pretty computer stupid but it works for us. I bet someone here is much better at this and has a fix. Better yet do you know any 6 year olds? They can show you how to do anything.

Ric

Liked: 1417

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Chevy View Post
    Got a new computer with Windows 8.1 , now thumbnail pics won't open. Any ideas ?? Thanks, Pops
    Quote Originally Posted by Roux View Post
    I have had this intermittently with 7. My workaround is to right click and do open in new tab. today my computer at work for the first time in months opened normally when I clicked on the pictures here on Apexspeed

29 years ago today, Microsoft released Windows 1.0, and they still haven't figured it out.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Windows 7 or XP
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 348

To quote Doug Carter, "everyone wants progress, it's change they don't like."

Every upgrade of every operating system I've ever worked with for the past 30 years has changed something and forced me to learn something else. Including Windows 8.1. I'm finding it to be more stable than Windows 7 on my work laptop running the same applications and several I don't run on the work computer.

I'm forced to use IE for certain functions at work, but otherwise, dump that and you should be able to find an answer through Google for anything you encounter.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Contributing Member Mike Scanlan's Avatar
    Liked: 94

I bought a Win 8 laptop last winter. Couldn't get it to work. Filed a claim against Best Buy to take it back thru an Amex claim. Best Buy pled no contest and didn't even want the thing back. I went out an d bought a Win 7 laptop. No problem. Gave the Win 8 desktop to my wife and she still can't get it to work.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Hey Mike, throw it my way, I'll give it to my 6 year old and he'll gt it working!!

I haven't used IE for years (except at work and even then, I downloaded both Firefox and Chrome! I use Chrome exclusively at home and have no issues. Love my laptop with Win8, especially since I sprung for the touch screen - so cool!
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 27

Roux had it right! Right click then open new tab. I've only been using it for a few days and am still learning my way around. The hard drive in my old computer (XP) was sounding like a meat grinder and locking up a lot. Thanks Guys !
    God is my pilot, I'm just the loose nut behind the wheel !

Liked: 1112

Transitioning from Linux to Win7 forced me to discover an app called Dexpot to give me the multiple desktops on which I'd come depend. When I loaded Dexpot on my next machine with Win8.1, it offered to install Pokki, which gave me back a functional Start button. I have minimal complaints.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 296

I ordered a Windows 8 notebook for the office last spring. I messed with it for a a few months, but was fairly dissatisfied. When 8.1 came out I was excited, thinking that it would fix the issues I had with it. After many failed attempts (a few weeks worth) to log into the Windows Store so that I could download the free update I just gave the notebook to a coworker. She can have it, I don't have the time to deal with it. I've moved all of our field users onto iPads over the last 18 months. The number of support calls versus the previous Windows platform have decreased by 95%. The writing is on the wall.
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

Liked: 102

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Chevy View Post
    Get a MAC!!!

I have a Win 8 laptop only because the racing software is only written for Windows.

EVERYTHING else is done on a Mac.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

Default Weird

My laptop with 8.1 initially had no problems opening the ApexSpeed thumbnails, but now it wont. If you give it a few seconds to attempt to open, then click on the "X" to close it, then click on it again to open it, it is successful. Weird.

Or as others indicated, I can open it with a right click / new tab.

Thread Information