Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked: 105

Default What do WE need to do...

There has been a lot of posts about attracting new drivers, bringing old one's out, how to increase car counts. Everyone seems to have their own opinion, which is great. Each region will face challenges to specific to that region.

Whether Canadian or US series, I think most face the same issues/challenges.

So let's put some ideas out there that everyone can draw from.

So how to increase car counts?
    What is the Target Audience?
    What has worked on not worked?
    Whose responsibility Sanctioning Body or Series?
    What are drivers not participating saying?
    Cross Boarder / Cross Region Events or Series?
    Do Potential Drivers know that FV/F1200 is available?

Let's not get into specfic Car modifications (Brakes, Racks (unless Bill wants to post his special FV rack) turbo chargers, fuel injection....)
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

Liked: 36

The majority of the population whether race-drivers or whatever I BET HAVE never HEARD OF F1200 OR FV...Ill even bet the majority of Karters have never heard of it either,attracting people to the class is a steep hill and a lot of work.

Liked: 1417

First, the class needs to figure out what they want to be—a vintage race group or an entry-level formula class? It won't do anything until the gate keepers decide what they want FV to be, which is the problem it has faced for many years. Staying the same will only cement its eventual demise, unfortunately. There are too many reasons why this is true.

Then figure out who you want your audience to be—older racers with no intent of moving to other classes ever, middle-aged guys with money, kids coming out of college looking to race on a budget, or someone else? You can't talk to someone intelligently until you know who you are talking to.

Until the two targets above are determined, NOTHING else can or should happen. Not parts discussions, not spec tires, not engine options, class growth, cross-border rules... nothing.

The class is wandering aimlessly until there is a map and a direction. You can't plot a course until you know where you want to go.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

All of amateur racing is fighting for market share of a population that is at best static and at worst shrinking. The strategy needs to come from the sanctioning bodies to grow the pool. Then it is up to each individual class to make a case for why a new entrant should join it rather than one of the many alternatives.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 59

Default A look at the costs of FV vs. other classes

Having just completed my novice year in an FV, I feel qualified to offer some perspective on the class from one distinct point of view - the old guy (58) new entry into racing.

After flagging some of the local venues in the 2012 season (including SOVREN, SCCA and ICSCC) I was able to review the typical entry level choices: CF, FF, FC, FV, vintage vee. There are no FST's running up here, so I did not consider that class.

I wanted to do open wheel, always have, and leaned mightily towards CF since those are the cars I grew up watching since the 70's; but was given sage advice by Brian McCarthy, Jim Cutts, Stephen Saslow, Bob Posner and many others that Vee is the way to learn momentum driving which is a prerequisite for driving anything. Made complete sense.

With the good sized contingent of vintage vees, here in the PNW, that choice was viable, but I liked the zero-roll of the FV so that's where I went. I spent $6k for a good, well-set up regional Caracal that needed the engine freshened and some tires, etc. So I was all set.

Started the season with driver's school, entered every race I could get to without a passport and completed every race, practice, qualifying and test and tune I entered thanks to my reliable - but expensive - Noble motor. Put 27 hours on the engine (Hobbs Meter), got lots of seat time, learned tons from a great group of very generous FV drivers, actually finished 2nd in one race of three cars (having actually passed the leader once when he wasn't paying attention, then got passed back - but it WAS quite a thrill for a novice).

I decided to race in ICSCC because there were other FV's in conference and they have 14 races compared to SCCA's 3 regionals. In the majors I would have been a moving cone for the national drivers, so ICSCC was a natural choice for me and they have an excellent novice program (shameless plug).

What would I have done differently? Nothing, except perhaps buy a more modern FV with a brand newly overhauled National engine for about $3k less than what I have invested in this car - but there's only one way to learn the economics of racing and I do not regret my choices. I've had a great time with the car and I now truly believe that learning to drive a momentum car like an FV is the way for a novice driver to start in open wheel.

So, long-winded opening complete - on to the opinion about FV:

For the same money I could have bought a decent CF. There's a tight run group here of CF guys that are having as much fun as the FV run group - maybe more because they have more cars on track typically - and they're not afraid to race in the rain.

For maybe the same or a little less, I could have bought an FC - some smoking deals out there for FC's - but reality says that would have been a mistake with complications of wings and the much higher operating costs of engine rebuilds, tranny issues and if I bent the front of it, a good used VW beam won't bolt right on ;-)

For less money I could have gone vintage vee which has a very stable and tight knit run group here in SOVREN. Plus they have those tires that last forever.

So - those are the open wheel entry level choices for an old guy with money. It will be different for a young guy with money. They will be looking to move up fast. It will be different again for a young, middle-aged or old guy on a fixed income (less money) they will be looking for the cheapest way to go racing - and that my friends is in tin tops - so they really have to WANT to race open wheel.

In retrospect I believe I did the right thing starting in FV - however I see novices showing up with CF's. They will have the same learning curve as I, their learning curve steepness depends on many variables, most with the driver - not the car, mostly. They have already decided that they want to run a CF (or more) and that's what they bought.

I have not yet decided if I want to stay with FV (after at least another year of learning to drive, which I need); move "up" to a CF - or stay with FV because it's fun, has a good group of guys and I still have a lot to learn.

I could sell the FV at the end of next season at a huge loss and move up to a CF - makes the novice CF guys' decision to just start with CF a very wise move - if that's the logical next step for a new-entrant open wheel novice.

So, the answer to the question lies within the FV's "cost competition" for new drivers of all sorts, old, young, millionaires or misers - the costs are very much the same whether it's FV, vintage vee or CF (FST in some regions as well) - maybe CF is a little more, but it all depends on your damage and engine rebuilds - running costs do not appear to be much different.

Fuel, entry fees, lodging and travel are the highest expenses for most racers. Routine maintenance of the car, tires and safety equipment are additional costs - but again, regardless of class.

For just about the same money - which class would a novice racer choose to gain entry into open wheel racing? FV, Vintage Vee, FST or CF?

In my opinion, if we want them to choose FV, then it needs to be a lot less expensive than the other choices.

I'm glad I did because vees are a blast, trouble free in my case and a really great group of racers!

Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by nbrigido View Post
    There has been a lot of posts about attracting new drivers, bringing old one's out, how to increase car counts. Everyone seems to have their own opinion, which is great. Each region will face challenges to specific to that region.

Let's not get into specfic Car modifications (Brakes, Racks (unless Bill wants to post his special FV rack) turbo chargers, fuel injection....)

You need to get people in your area off the couch and promote yourselves period. It does not matter what class, if you promote numbers will increase.

Just like we have done

http://nefv.org/North_East_Formula_Vee/Welcome.html

It works despite all the negativity being thrown around "class is dying" "Class is dead" "old technology" "drum brakes" "skinny tires" " not steering racks" it's all means nothing to a newbie wanting to live his or her dream of driving a race car.

We put 12 drivers in our FVs this year at a NH event because we are motivated to increase our already acceptable fields. It was so nice to see so many people with smiles after getting off track for the first time, and not 1 person the entire weekend asked me about the brakes, tires, ugly bump in the body work, how much HP or how old that cars were. They just said thank you for giving me a chance to do something I have always wanted to do. Not all 12 will be in cars but maybe 1 or 2 will and that helps.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64838

Look how the Formula Vee Challenge Cup Series has taken off! It took a few people that were motivated to make it happen and it did.
    Mark Filip

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 26

Better awareness is a good thing. Sure there was a day when your next door neighbor had an FV or FF car that rolled up onto the open trailer every couple of weekends, but I don't know any one (to my knowledge) who has an open wheel car. Want people to race? Get out there and sell the brand. The idea of club racing these days invokes ideas of cubic dollars. If you have a class that's not that don't hide it.

Get out to autocrosses and pitch the idea to folks. There are passionate motorsports people out there that might jump at the chance to move over. And make it clear the financial impact. I'd guess that a successful year of racing FV's is substantially less expensive than a season of running a high end autocross car. I know which I'd rather do.

Same goes for track days. Get the car there, show people what they could do with a little more (or maybe even less) money than a weekend at the track. I know I'm spending $360 on a weekend at Laguna Seca, before tires, gas, oil, etc. Unless I'm really missing the finances on racing FV, I wouldn't be out a whole lot more to race the same weekend and I bought a car that's super easy on consumables. Trust me, I'd rather be wheel to wheel.

Also, work with track day groups to find a home for open wheelers/sports racers. I didn't really want another Miata, I wanted a purpose built. Unfortunately I want to learn to drive the thing fast before racing, and there's not a good home for them at track days. Thus the Miata.

I know it's the last thing FV guys want to think about, but at some point you should seriously consider chassis/powertrain options. I don't need high tech, whizzy bits, but FV calls for parts designed fifty years before I was born. Going to FV would mean learning new skills literally none of my other cars will ever need (and buying tools for such). FST doesn't address this (well I guess they're only 40 years older than I am).

Quote Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
    Going to FV would mean learning new skills literally none of my other cars will ever need (and buying tools for such). FST doesn't address this (well I guess they're only 40 years older than I am).
    This is the problem.... no one is willing to learn new things anymore.

You would be really surprised as to how much you could learn from FV. You want to learn how to drive fast? I do not think there is a better car to make a driver faster. FV is under powered and relies on momentum 100% of the time. If you can drive a FV fast everything else is easy.

If I go 1 day without learning something new I feel cheated.
    Mark Filip

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1417

Quote Originally Posted by fvracer27 View Post
    This is the problem.... no one is willing to learn new things anymore.
    No, I think younger generations are not eager to tackle something that doesn't have a practical application to use on other cars. Learning to set up a FV is a huge time waster to many wanting to move to something faster down the road. How much FV setup knowledge can you use on a pushrod car next season? You will put in the time and effort if you think you will be in a FV for a while, but if you have FF or winged car aspirations, a FV is not appealing at all.

Yes, learning to be fast in a FV is a great base for being faster in other cars, but it's not required. You can do the same in a FF.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    No, I think younger generations are not eager to tackle something that doesn't have a practical application to use on other cars. Learning to set up a FV is a huge time waster to many wanting to move to something faster down the road. How much FV setup knowledge can you use on a pushrod car next season? You will put in the time and effort if you think you will be in a FV for a while, but if you have FF or winged car aspirations, a FV is not appealing at all.

Yes, learning to be fast in a FV is a great base for being faster in other cars, but it's not required. You can do the same in a FF.
    Sorry Doug I totally disagree and that's fine.
    Mark Filip

Liked: 12

Without getting into car modifications and the purpose of a proposed modification, and without getting into determining the future direction or the class (those posts seem to be written with invisible ink) there is one simple low-cost thing that can be done.

If you are actually interested in attracting new participants . . .

Every February and March, hundreds of malls all across the continent are full of local dirt track cars and karts in Race Car Shows. Most of these are supported by the local dirt tracks. Rarely do you see ever see a road race car of any kind. It should be the goal of every regional series to have, or encourage, their participants show their cars in these shows. With no visibility, anyone interested in racing is only seeing one side. These potential "new" participants need not be non-racers. Some of the experienced local racers may be looking to move on. An information sheet should be displayed explaining the class and explaining to potential racers that they too can race at famous road race facilities like Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Mid-Ohio, Road America, Laguna Seca, and (name your favorite track).

With SCCA regional events not being particularly spectator friendly, this could be the only exposure regional road racing gets.

Wow do you ever have me wrong, Doug got to exactly the point I was trying to make. A lot of what I love about motorsports is the opportunity to learn, whether it's car construction, setup or driving. Extremely outdated technology though is something else.

I have no doubt that I can get a carb working, but learning the skills to quickly set one up to run perfectly for the day's conditions is more nuanced, and a skill that really only applies to racing FV, FF and FC cars these days. Same goes for beam suspensions, puck suspensions in F5/600 etc. If the other alternative is learning how to dial in the same systems as the vast majority of other cars on earth, it's an easy choice. That said, I'll take what my budget can handle, which in the near future is ITA, FV or F50. Whatever group offers the best value will get my (eventual) entry.

Also, watch the stereotyping of younger generations. We're the people you want to race against in the future. It pops up in a lot of these threads, if that's really how the group feels, I'll go find somewhere I'm welcome.

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Clark View Post
    Without getting into car modifications and the purpose of a proposed modification, and without getting into determining the future direction or the class (those posts seem to be written with invisible ink) there is one simple low-cost thing that can be done.

If you are actually interested in attracting new participants . . .

Every February and March, hundreds of malls all across the continent are full of local dirt track cars and karts in Race Car Shows. Most of these are supported by the local dirt tracks. Rarely do you see ever see a road race car of any kind. It should be the goal of every regional series to have, or encourage, their participants show their cars in these shows. With no visibility, anyone interested in racing is only seeing one side. These potential "new" participants need not be non-racers. Some of the experienced local racers may be looking to move on. An information sheet should be displayed explaining the class and explaining to potential racers that they too can race at famous road race facilities like Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Mid-Ohio, Road America, Laguna Seca, and (name your favorite track).

With SCCA regional events not being particularly spectator friendly, this could be the only exposure regional road racing gets.

This is exactly what I was getting at (and all classes should be doing it). Autocross, track days, local malls, kart tracks, movie theaters when car movies open, etc. Will you get people every time? Nope, some of the time? Maybe. At least it might put some people in the stands to watch or a couple more corner workers.

It's also easy to forget a lot of people don't even know that amateur motorsports exists. One friend over the past year has been surprised to learn F1 exists, introduced a few to formula and endurance racing, etc. Will they ever do anything more than a track day (if that)? Probably not, but if you kiss enough frogs...

I just don't understand

I ran 4 seasons on a single engine rebuild
    Not once in that time have I adjusted the carb
    In fact I never even pulled a stupid spark plug out
    I adjust brakes once a weekend
    Adjusted the valves once a weekend
    Changed the oil every other weekend
    Changed gearbox oil once a year
    Ran 1 set of tires for six weekends plus Friday practice
    3 years on a set of brake shoes
    Set my car up in April with minor adjustments at the track

Am I the only one that does this?

This year I didn't even buy tires for the 3 weekends I was able to run.

Setting up a FV takes no more time than any other car maybe even less.
    Mark Filip

Default Addendum to my earlier post

Earlier, I said "In my opinion, if we want them to choose FV, then it needs to be a lot less expensive than the other choices.".

I would like to add that the cost factor becomes less important as the local run group gets larger. The local PRO 3 run group is very big, at least 20 PRO 3 's at every single race, some races 40 or even 50 very equally matched Beemers banging around the track. That run group is large, friendly, growing and very supportive - and they attract a lot of attention (real spectators) and grow every year. They did an exhibition race at this years SOVREN July 4th extravaganza to attract even more attention to themselves.

So, either the FV class becomes attractive due to less cost - or it becomes attractive because there's really good racing for all levels, thereby becoming hugely fun - like the NEFV guys are working towards - more power to you guys!

The FC guys up here in the PNW are doing the same thing with some good success - but if you're going to race FC, watch out in Spokane because they OWN that track !! That is another great bunch of open wheel fanatics that will try to lure you into their lair of Pintos - and it's easy to be tempted by FC cars being sold for the price of a regional FV.

I just don't understand

Mark, I think my maintenance experience is the same as yours so far. Except I do a compression test after every weekend to make sure something isn't going bad. My used Hoosiers lasted 3 slow novice weekends, but now I'm on AR's and they're good for a while. Especially since we race half the season on rains!

I hope my engine will last four seasons - but that's a different thread. I volunteered to be Chief of Tech next year partly because once I've checked the oil and plugged in the battery charger, there's not much left to do between sessions except air up those AR's

You need to get people in your area off the couch and promote yourselves period. It does not matter what class, if you promote numbers will increase.

Just like we have done

http://nefv.org/North_East_Formula_Vee/Welcome.html.
    Good Job on the Website. it does explain alot and walk people through the basics, so how do we get people there...

Is it the Karters, that you want attract? they have their foot in racing and some might want to continue into Road Racing.

Is it the guys who are out at track days with their personal cars? Do you promote to the car clubs as an alternative. That brings forth real racing instead of going round and round.

How do you get to the guy/girl that has always wanted to race, but has no idea the it can be "Relativity" in-expensive to race a Vee.

The people that have parked their cars. People that used to race but stopped for one reason or another.
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

Liked: 33

SpacemanSpiff,

I don't believe anyone is downing younger people who are interested in racing but don't have specific knowledge about the class they're interested in. Most comments are generalized perceptions about it; I would say most are pretty true, but does not pertain to everyone.

If you are interested in checking out a FVee I am located in Petaluma and you can come check one out and would be more than happy to answer any questions you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    First, the class needs to figure out what they want to be—a vintage race group or an entry-level formula class? It won't do anything until the gate keepers decide what they want FV to be, which is the problem it has faced for many years. Staying the same will only cement its eventual demise, unfortunately. There are too many reasons why this is true.

Then figure out who you want your audience to be—older racers with no intent of moving to other classes ever, middle-aged guys with money, kids coming out of college looking to race on a budget, or someone else? You can't talk to someone intelligently until you know who you are talking to.

Until the two targets above are determined, NOTHING else can or should happen. Not parts discussions, not spec tires, not engine options, class growth, cross-border rules... nothing.

The class is wandering aimlessly until there is a map and a direction. You can't plot a course until you know where you want to go.
    I don't think the Focus on FV/F1200 has changed? Supposed to be entry level open wheel racing. Promoting driver development? Cost Controlled (To a certain degree). Sure certain aspects have changed over time for various reasons, and change will still happen for the right reason moving forward.

As for the "Target Audience", I don't see a limit, 15-80..All Age Groups, All financial abilities. Anyone who wants to race and have fun doing it.
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

First of all, I'm impressed that air and go is all the cars take. It's certainly a selling point for some, and something I honestly didn't know. In the days of arrive and drive ops, this should be more trumpeted (much of the convenience, none of the price).

Thank you for the offer, I may take you up on that at some point. At this point I'm not looking to move to another class right away, but I like to chime in to these threads because it seems as though they're always missing the voice of someone who's somewhat informed (apparently not as well as I thought I was), but unsure where they'll end up.

I didn't think anyone was specifically after me due to my generation, but there have been any number of references in similar threads across several classes about appealing to the paddle shifters and Xbox generation. While I'm sure there are shades of that, the truth is somewhat more nuanced than that.

And now I want a Vee (and maybe to be back in the Northeast, those fields are huge). Wonder if I could pull one with a Miata.

Good Job on the Website. it does explain alot and walk people through the basics, so how do we get people there...

Is it the Karters, that you want attract? they have their foot in racing and some might want to continue into Road Racing.

Is it the guys who are out at track days with their personal cars? Do you promote to the car clubs as an alternative. That brings forth real racing instead of going round and round.

How do you get to the guy/girl that has always wanted to race, but has no idea the it can be "Relativity" in-expensive to race a Vee.

The people that have parked their cars. People that used to race but stopped for one reason or another.
    We target anyone who wants to race, that's it. It does not matter who and I don't think it's necessary to target a certain group. The open wheel driving experience we did worked really well and I can see us doing it again. We had a wide range of people, men and women some with no experience in racing, some with a little, some karting people and some that thought they would never get a chance to do it.

Getting people back on track that have parked the car is a little different. They had a reason to park it so it's hard to say.
    Mark Filip

Quote Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
    And now I want a Vee (and maybe to be back in the Northeast, those fields are huge). Wonder if I could pull one with a Miata.

Hope you don't mind Nick Love that picture
    Mark Filip

Liked: 56

Hope you don't mind Nick Love that picture
    I don't mind at all. I must be vain because I love that picture too! We drove all the way to the 50th anniversary in GA getting nearly 24 mpg. SpacemanSpiff-you should easily be able to get that mileage but you can do it with the top down!

I just don't understand

Pretty darn close to what I do, accept you adjust your brake shoe more often than I. I do pull my spark plugs at the end of the year

Heck, if you don't take Terran up on his offer, I might! He appears to be a young guy that doesn't mind old technology, oh, and he can drive....

Liked: 304

Just to clear up the "old Tech" canard, double wishbone suspension commonly used on other (lesser) formula cars were in common use from about 1930. Really old stuff. Our FV suspension was later used on the venerable Porsche 356.

Learning to set up a FV will not be a waste of time should you decide to go backwards to that '30's suspension. Basic principles remain the same, toe, camber, and caster. How those are adjusted are different.

Single throat carb Vs F.I.? No contest as to which is simpler and easier to learn. The Carb.

Yes, we have drum brakes. No mystery there. Still in use on many cars in the rear because of the simplicity of the design when requiring an E brake. Might not seem sexy but it works.

The VW front beam and swing axle rear is perfect for a low cost to build and maintain formula class, which is why it got started and why it is still in use, and one of the reasons it is still the most popular SCCA formula class and the most popular formula class around the world.

While I remain in favor of some updating, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

My 2 cents,
    Barry

Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

Liked: 29

Default What we need to do

Doug asked two questions. The answer to the first is and always will be, an entry level class. As long as there are modern cars available then we don't become a vintage class. Not to say anyone can't run a vintage vee. But we should aim to be an entry level class.

The second question is who do we want to address, what's our target audience. Our target audience is anyone who wants to get in a car. Why limit it? What makes up most race organizations now? All those groups of people; old guys who aren't going to change, guys with cash, young college kids, and everyone else.

What got me into FV a few years ago, was the idea of an entry level formula car. I bought a car for $4500, got some tires, and with a LOT of guidance from smarter people managed to get on track. The idea that nobody wants to learn to setup drum brakes cause it's old technology is flawed. There is so much more to learning to race then just adjusting drum brakes. Learning to prep the car, getting to the track, the total race day experience, wrenching on the car after practice or qualifying, then getting out there for the race. There's a lot more to the vee then old technology and drum brakes.

I knew from the beginning my $4500 car wasn't going to win a runoffs. But then again I didn't have the skill to, even with Varacin's car. Certainly we should do our best to keep costs reasonable. But there will always be people willing to spend money on racing, so that will keep costs up.

Bottom line really deals with promotion. I hear about the "secret" club of SCCA. Talk about it to people and they have no idea what it is. The true death knell for all classes and clubs is not promoting it. At a time when we have to compete with so many other distractions, we have to push ourselves to the front.

The folks on the FST side put together a video promoting their class. Maybe we should do the same. Get out to those events that we can showcase our car. We all probably have Facebook, promote the sport there.
    Reinventing the world, one wheel at a time.

Liked: 126

Formula Vee Challenge Cup will be in its third year this coming year we have a group of guys that talk every month and work on how to get cars out of the garage we have switch to the radial tire which has cut cost, also we try and make sure saturday nights we have a get together and all the guys can bench race eat and have a beer. I get tired of everyone saying the class will die, it will die if we let it but if we try and orginaize events with regions get sponsors, like the challenge cup did you will get some people out. As for attracting new people not sure since regionals are non spectator events. Doing car show is great thing I have done them in the past, I think now we need someone who is a good markerting person and we are working on that for the Challenge cup events. We are hoping to have our schedule out soon and I hope the guys here on this forum will join the group this year. we are currently working on getting a web site up with info any one willing to help is welcome. We have a great group of guys trying to make a difference and race and have a good time.

Raymond Carmody
    FV81

32. The following 9 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rcarmody View Post
    Formula Vee Challenge Cup will be in its third year this coming year we have a group of guys that talk every month and work on how to get cars out of the garage we have switch to the radial tire which has cut cost, also we try and make sure saturday nights we have a get together and all the guys can bench race eat and have a beer. I get tired of everyone saying the class will die, it will die if we let it but if we try and orginaize events with regions get sponsors, like the challenge cup did you will get some people out. As for attracting new people not sure since regionals are non spectator events. Doing car show is great thing I have done them in the past, I think now we need someone who is a good markerting person and we are working on that for the Challenge cup events. We are hoping to have our schedule out soon and I hope the guys here on this forum will join the group this year. we are currently working on getting a web site up with info any one willing to help is welcome. We have a great group of guys trying to make a difference and race and have a good time.

Raymond Carmody
    FV81
    Seeing as the Web seems to be a great starting point for infomation in this day and age.

Does every region a web presence?
    Is there a social media presence?

One feature that I personally liked, and used many times while following races in the 1600/2000 pro was live twitter feed during the race.

Problem, all these elements take time and effort. Requiring someone to keep the ball rolling.

It might even be value of each of the FV/F1200 cross promotes the other regions in NA. Allowing drivers, potential drivers to see different scheduales, run a different track they may have always wanted to run.

It could be a starting point of everyone working together to one common goal.
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

If all else fails....
    Last edited by nbrigido; 06.26.15 at 8:11 PM.
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

35. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 22

If all else fails....
    Are they the next generation of drivers or mechanics?

How many of the regions have a web presence?
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

We target anyone who wants to race, that's it. It does not matter who and I don't think it's necessary to target a certain group. The open wheel driving experience we did worked really well and I can see us doing it again. We had a wide range of people, men and women some with no experience in racing, some with a little, some karting people and some that thought they would never get a chance to do it.

Getting people back on track that have parked the car is a little different. They had a reason to park it so it's hard to say.
    How did you promote the Driving experience? The reason I ask, Websites are great for people who are searching for info on Vee racing and how to get started. But how do we introduce Vee racing to those that do not know that it even exists? People that want to race, thought of racing??

Car Shows?
    Car Clubs that sponsor track days?
    In-door Karting?
    Magazines?
    Other websites?

Keeping in mind that everything cost $$ and promotion needs to be cost effective.
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

Contributing Member
    Liked: 83

How did you promote the Driving experience? The reason I ask, Websites are great for people who are searching for info on Vee racing and how to get started. But how do we introduce Vee racing to those that do not know that it even exists? People that want to race, thought of racing??

Car Shows?
    Car Clubs that sponsor track days?
    In-door Karting?
    Magazines?
    Other websites?

Keeping in mind that everything cost $$ and promotion needs to be cost effective.
    Noel, this is a great thread, thanks for starting it. In the NE, promotion has been key. We've done the following:

- Promotion at racing-related shows: dirt track, modifiers, karting shows. These guys are mostly already racers.
    - Promotion at car shows: these are custom car shows where anything goes. These are attended mostly by car buffs, and they love watching our videos.
    - Driving Experience: SCCA is now supporting - at a limited level - getting non-racers into race cars during a race weekend to try it out and "run" in a separate group. We worked with our local region to do this with vees this year. We had in our cars crew, friends, and new unknown folks. We tried to fit anyone who was interested. Several people who wanted to run in this event just to have fun but with no prior intention to go racing are now thinking about racing. Every Vee group should do this!
    - Web site for the region
    - Videos and pictures to post on the web site
    - Pamphlet and business cards to give out. I carry both with me in my briefcase.

This does take time, mostly in the first year, but does pay off. Contact the NEFV.org guys (contact links on the web site) if you want tips of what worked for us, and the time, effort, and funds it takes to pull things off.

The SCCA has been very helpful helpful...
    Shows: In our area, the Region has booths at several of these car shows and at times they pay and we get to join them for free - we always bring a car. Other times we just pay and have our own booth - again, always with a car. Since we're not selling anything, they charge us much less to have a booth.
    Driving Experience: The National SCCA office helped us by defining and figuring out how to run our promotional open-wheel on-track event - it being an open wheel event meant it needed special attention to keep it safe. It worked as well as anyone would have hoped.

To answer your question about the Drivers Experience, we did not promote it. It being a first for us and the SCCA, we didn’t want to mess up so we kept it limited. We started talking with interested folks early in the season, and kept them updated with regard to how it was going to be run, which was developing all season. As we spoke with people at races and at shows, we spoke about this event. Between newly interested folks and crew/friends and word of mouth, we filled every car that was available.

About getting people interested, the car shows / racing shows are the best way I think. At racing shows, racers are racers and some see road racing as a step up. Regular car shows have folks that are car buffs, and some see that they actually can race a “real” race car after talking with us and seeing our videos.
    John

40. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 83

Quote Originally Posted by jhenn4716 View Post
    The folks on the FST side put together a video promoting their class. Maybe we should do the same. Get out to those events that we can showcase our car. We all probably have Facebook, promote the sport there.
    It would be good if we could get some support from the SCCA for helping with a National FV promotional / SCCA promotional video - two birds with one stone - promoting FV as well as racing in the SCCA, if we come up with the right approach.

The videos really go far for promotion, but are hard to do well. One of my sons is a working member of the film industry with access to a full crew experienced in documentary style work who could help put something together.

Who would we approach at the SCCA who might be interested in doing something like this?

John

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

Exactly how many new FV competitors have been created from the NE efforts? Competitors that are doing 3-4 races a year.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    Exactly how many new FV competitors have been created from the NE efforts? Competitors that are doing 3-4 races a year.

Brian
    More than doing nothing and its increasing.
    Mark Filip

Liked: 29

Quote Originally Posted by jpetillo View Post
    Who would we approach at the SCCA who might be interested in doing something like this?

John
    I'm going to start asking in my region and work my way up to the national office. We'll figure out something.
    Reinventing the world, one wheel at a time.

Liked: 72

Generally speaking, SCCA does not do class specific promotion. There is a provision on the web site "What can I do with my car?" that addresses some of the specific car issues.

There is a new web site coming on line in 2015 that will have a significant social media element and members will be able to share class specific issues there and reach out to visitors.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post

Brian
    In the end, Increasing by 1 or not lossing anyone would be considered a win..
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

It is funny how we can start a discussion about a modification request, spec. change, or a new part that is available, and everyone will have an opinion how it will benifti the class, how it will hurt the class, how things will never change.... I will agree that cost control is vital to survival and does need discussion.

Now it is time to see what we can ALL do to grow, and maintain the class. With-out new blood there won't be many cars to modify shortly.

The whole point of starting the thread was to draw from everyone's experience's on what may or may not work. To brain storm on ideas for ALL regions nad see how we can promote the class to the "new" driver..The driver that does not know vee/f1200 exists.

How we can work at getting more cars out of the garage, back onto the track.

I don't think there is any Right or Wrong answer, what works for one, may not work for another.
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information