Thread: Electric Start

Liked: 0

Default Electric Start

New to forum and F500. Purchased 1987 Red Devil that is in classified and looking to add electric start as wife stated "I am not your starter". So looking to add electric start and looking for parts list any help would be appreciated.

Liked: 2

You will need to give info on what motor you have in the car. There are different starter motors for different motors. Is your drive clutch equipped with a ring gear?

Liked: 28

In a quick list, you will need the following:
    1) Clutch with ring gear-Most expensive part as you can not just attach a ring gear to any primary clutch
    2) Bracket to attach starter to motor
    3) Starter-E bay Item I can get the exact item number if you want.
    4) Battery
    5) Starter Solenoid
    6) Switches to activate
    7) Wiring for starter
    If you want to discuss, just send me a PM and I can give you a call. I am located in Beaverton area so you can come by and check on the details if you want.

Lance

Default electric starter

Marc 21 Sorry I forgot to add motor it is a 494 non-rave.

Lance thanks will do.

Liked: 5

Also recommend a quick disconnect/big battery cables and a strong auxiliary battery to help the small onboard battery start when cold (with rear wheels OFF the ground) via a quick jack. If auxtoxing, it will be needed for running the radiator fans and inline water pump between runs to cool the motor down to the low 100's - very important.

Newbie, start reading all the threads here and on the more popular F500 forum - www.formula500.org/forum.php and learn everything that you can asap BEFORE you spend any more money. Become an educated consumer. You have one critical step done already and that is a local F5 driver to help you while you crew for him with hands-on learning. Find some more local drivers to learn different approaches to all that is involved. With a 1987 F500 I am guessing that you will be autoxing - correct?

Jim
    Been messing with these cars since 1982.

Jim,
    Thanks for info and I am reading as much as I can and yes plan on talking and possibly working with local F5 owner.
    You are exactly right my plan is to work on car over the winter to get ready to autocross and hill climb next year.

Ken

Liked: 227

Default Electric Start

Also check out the forums at F500.us for lots of great Rotax engine info.

Thread Information