Liked: 0

Default New guy with classification question

Ok, had my car for a wile and building on it. No time to do anything and finally I can. 1969 triumph GT6MKII: Suspension upgraded(no transverse spring in the rear anymore), Half shafts upgraded from the large doghnuts to (cv). Front suspenion upgraded to adjustable control arms and slightly overstock engine for now. I,m in Michigan and wondering what class I will be allowed to run in if any. Car has not seen the road during build time and probably wont till spring. I guess now is the time to figure what direction I need to take it to be able to drive it in a class. No cage as of yet.

Liked: 47

Keep it a street car and buy yourself a formula race car. Probably cheaper, safer, and less time consuming then building a race car out of the gt6. You will be hooked after a few laps in a formula car. Being in Mi, you may want to consider an older Formula Continental to race in the Great Lakes Challenge FC / CFC series.
    Ian Lenhart
    Level 11 Creative
    www.level11creative.com
    lenhart06@yahoo.com

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

You'd probably be in 'Production'. This is a Formula car forum. Check with your local SCCA tin top guys for better directions on how to proceed with your car. I gotta say, open wheel is a lot more fun I just started running a '90 Reynard. Very enjoyable. I am also putting a Spec Miata together this winter. As long as the run groups stay seperated by a class or two, I hope to run both cars next season. Good luck with the Triumph !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Class ITE..

Its an it class that each region does. I think the E is for everything

IT is very strict. ITE is race what you bring...
    I have a 240z that will be ITE. Its missing the original wiring harness, wipers, dash, etc. All required for classification as ITS....

The overstock motor will put you in ITE....

Our z was supposed to be a lemons car. Thats why it got stripped. My sons team fell apart so dad now has the project

BTW my son works for Moss. He'd say to leave it a street car.
    The only ones worth anything as racers are cars with history.
    It won't be competitive....

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lenhart View Post
    Keep it a street car and buy yourself a formula race car. Probably cheaper, safer, and less time consuming then building a race car out of the gt6. You will be hooked after a few laps in a formula car. Being in Mi, you may want to consider an older Formula Continental to race in the Great Lakes Challenge FC / CFC series.
    I did give the idea of formula some thought and it hasnt left my mind as of yet. Thanks for the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    Class ITE..

Its an it class that each region does. I think the E is for everything

IT is very strict. ITE is race what you bring...
    I have a 240z that will be ITE. Its missing the original wiring harness, wipers, dash, etc. All required for classification as ITS....

The overstock motor will put you in ITE....

Our z was supposed to be a lemons car. Thats why it got stripped. My sons team fell apart so dad now has the project

BTW my son works for Moss. He'd say to leave it a street car.
    The only ones worth anything as racers are cars with history.
    It won't be competitive....
    Thanks for the good info and you also racerdad2

Liked: 102

Default The Voice of Experience

Whatever you do, don't race a GT6. I owned two of them at the same time, and was only able to make both of them operational for one week out of 2 years. The thing that they did best was overheat. I learned what reliability isn't by owning those cars.

A race car must be 100% dependable, predictable, and trustworthy. It has to be both a faithful servant and a willing accomplice. If you don't trust the car or you have to baby it, your driving performance will also be compromised.

A well prepared formula car will run all day, and you can drive it as hard as you are able to every single lap. It will wear you out before you wear it out. I went straight from autocrossing the GT6es to FF with no problem. Try it: you will like it!

Liked: 210

Group 44 seemed to do okay with them in-the-day?? I seem to recall them whizzing around at the front of the pack on many occasions.

Cajun,

Don't forget that car is eligible for just about ALL Historics racing clubs too. If you build it to factory stock racing parts. In those years, Triumph supplied a lot of custom racing parts to their customers.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 7

Nice flickr collection DaddyO!
    "You GO Now"

Rick

Thread Information