Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rob St. Clair

Liked: 91

Default Rob St. Clair

It's with a heavy heart that I'm typing this message right now.

This afternoon Rob St. Clair passed away. I've known Rob since 2005, and over the years I've come to know what an amazing guy he was. Aside from running an extremely successful race team, Rob was a genuinely great guy, and an extremely hard worker. Rob was like family to me, and I'm sure he will be greatly missed by everyone that knew him.

Rest in Peace Robby Rob. You will be forever missed.

Liked: 79

Absolutely gutted, beyond sad.

Rest In Peace.
    Williams Racing Developments Inc
    704 658 0940 www.willrace.com

WE HAVE MOVED...... 503 Performance Road, Mooresville, NC, 28115

Liked: 1417

Wow, terrible news. I'm saddened to hear of Rob's passing. Amateur formula car racing lost a really good guy.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

Beyond sad, he was like an uncle to Cole and a great friend.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Absolutely terrible news.

Did not know Rob very well, but he never knew a stranger and welcomed everyone to his Runoffs parties like they were family.

We are losing too many good people.

Liked: 99

I am so sorry to hear of Rob's passing.What a great guy.

Mike Sauce

Liked: 141

Hopefully someone will post funeral/visitation details when known.

I'd be happy to organize appropriate floral arrangement and condolences (simple but sincere) on behalf of Apexspeed if that is desired.

Liked: 3279

Horrible news! Rob was one of the really great, genuine, guys in racing. He always was willing to help me and Sherrie whenever we needed it, without ever looking for anything in return. We will miss him more than words can say.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 0

Default Rob St Clair

God Speed my friend: you always be in my thoughts.

Sammy

Liked: 14

completely shocked by this news
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Contributing Member

So sad to hear this. Rob was a tremendous guy, always willing to help in any way. He will be missed. Gods Speed Rob!!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 862

one of the really good guys....
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Liked: 1871

Default Holy crap!

Shocking news! What the heck happened?

I didn't get to know Rob as well as many others here, but my experiences with him were always pleasant - to say that he had a good sense of humor would be a bit of an understatement.

Rest in peace, Rob.

Default Oh Man!!

What do you say.

He was one of the best friends I have. Just talked to him yesterday, and got the details from him, so Jonathon and I could come see him in hospital for his heart surgery on Tuesday. He was not himself, to say the least, during the phone call. He was my pal. He took care of Jason and me when he was just in his garage back in '96, and I earned an enourmous amount of respect for him, and for his wrenching abilities too. He cared for our safety more than anything, and I never had a car not make it back to pit lane in 2 full seasons, with him working on the car. He took such good care of my son too. I remember all the times with Rob, Jason, Dave Dixon and me at Road America and Mid-Ohio. The stories are never ending. A true frind he 'is'.

I will miss you forever 'Puts'.

Liked: 77

Will his family need any help with the services or anything? I would like to contribute back for all the free advice and help he has given me.

Contributing Member bryancohnracing's Avatar
    Liked: 16

Been away for awhile, saw Al's post on FB. Floored me to no end. Sad, sad indeed.
    Bryan Cohn
    bryancohnracing@yahoo.com
    417-540-2595 text

Liked: 3787

I first met Rob about ten years ago, at the Runoffs; I was looking for Mark. That was my first introduction to the peanuts. There were always dry roasted peanuts under his canopy. On a monday after a race one could always tell where the St Clair rig had been parked... peanut shells.

During that first meeting he explained his sign-off sheet system he used to make sure every car was ready to go to grid. Over the past ten years he has taught me a lot of valuable stuff.

I've had the pleasure of his company at more impounds the last four years than probably any other crew chief. He enjoyed coming to impound. It meant his team was competitive.

I grew to really admire his ability to stay focused on car prep when his canopy was always a three ring circus in terms of the social life of the paddock. In highschool there was always one kid's house that everyone hung out at. The St. Clair paddock was the racing eqivalet of that. Always a party going on, yet Rob and his mechanics stayed focused. Because i was sitting around eating the peanuts a lot, i witnessed just how many other crew chiefs came to him for help with parts, tools, whatever. He was always quick to help. Obviously he was highly respected among his peers.

This summer I had the pleasure of being a guest at Rob's home one evening in the middle of a hectic week. Robin fixed a great dinner and we sat around talking about mostly stuff having nothing to do with racing. That evening he convinced me to turn north the next morning and drive through the UP on my way to Road America. He gave me a list of places that were a must to be seen along the route.

He was not one to be loud or outspoken. Over the years I grew to know that he was very proud of the record of accomplishments of the cars and drivers that rolled out from under the St. Clair Motorsports canopy.

Janice has been trying to take a good picture of Rob for four years. The first few years if he saw the camera he would stick out his tongue. But, eventually over the years she was able to take some shots without resorting to using a 300mm lens while hiding out of his sight. I just spent about two hours going through our photo file, looking for shot of Rob. We seem to have many with his tongue out, but many more of him working on one car or another. Then there is a bunch of the posed pictures on many many podiums. It is hard to find any one picture that really captured his great personality.

The F2KCS family all know where ever he is going next, almost certainly he'll get there after the gates have been closed.

Last edited by Purple Frog; 01.08.11 at 5:02 PM.

One of my favorite photos of Rob St. Clair. This was minutes after winning the 2007 F2000 Championship. I owe most of my accomplishments to Rob.

No one deserved this more than Jose, Bobby, Tony, Matt, and especially Rob.
    Last edited by Cole Morgan; 10.30.10 at 12:06 AM.

Default NOOOOOO!!!!!

Goodbye Old Friend...damn it!
    Sincerely,
    Erik Skirmants
    SCCA Enterprises

Liked: 896

Default Rob St. Clair

Many tears tonight from Rob's MANY FRIENDS & FANS. There has never been a nicer guy that I have known in racing. We will all miss you Rob & will see you again someday.

Jay Novak

I'm wondering just how many guys have crewed for Rob? I've been looking through the files. I don't want to post any crew pictures because no one picture ever has everybody in it, and none should be left out.

I did just find a shot without the dark glasses he wore on pit lane.

Liked: 447

Wow, utter shock. When you read post titles like this before reading the content of the post, there's always that good possibility that something bad has happened. I'm so saddened to hear of Rob's untimely passing. Thoughts and condolences go out to Rob's close friends and family.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Forum Advertiser
    Liked: 5

Default Rob St.Clair

What a loss, Rob was a great guy, always willing to help. I was shocked when I heard yesterday.

Liked: 229

Shocked to hear this terrible news. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.
    Brian Graham.

Default Can't be....

I still can’t believe it.

Satchel called me while I was at work yesterday, and I don’t think it has sunk in.

Rob has been a friend and mentor for half of my life. I still remember the first day I went to work for him. Somehow my dad talked him into letting a 16 year old punk kid come help him out. He sat me in the back corner of his garage, and had me sand-blasting uprights and other suspension bits (for a Ralt RT-4 or 5). He made me sit on that stool for hours. I’ll bet he sent me back to that blast cabinet 20 times, making sure I cleaned off every last microscopic spec of black powder coat. When I finally had all of the bits cleaned up, to his standards, he said to me (in his usual matter-of-fact way), “I know that sucked, and it seems like I’m just giving you a bunch of busy-work, but this is where championships are decided.”

I worked for Rob, on and off, since that time. On the shop floor, he ran his team by those words. There were a lot of flogs over the years, but most of them were simply because Rob wouldn’t let a half-a$$ed build out of his shop. It didn’t matter if it was one of his usual guys, or a newby with crash damage - craftsmanship and driver safety were always at the top of his priority list. We've had a lot of fun at Rob's expense, but Horgas and Frog are right. Rob took an unbelievable amount of pride in the equipment, the engineering, and the drivers rolling out from under his tent. But what always amazed me…was that he managed to do it in a way in which you pushed yourself to a new level – just so you don’t disappoint him. One of the best compliments I could get was an, “Atta-boy,” from Rob St. Clair. Just ask Joe, Jose, and Bob.

I graduated college, and left Rob's shop for a few years, to go work for an auto company. Almost 2 years ago, I escaped what I thought was a failing member of the big 3, and I found myself working for Rob again. When I needed it most, he hired me full-time, and told me I had a job there as long as I wanted one. This is just the kind of friend/man he was. I can’t think of a single time he didn’t have my back. Even when I showed up out of the blue, to call-in,favors he didn’t owe me...he'd just grin and look out over his glasses shaking his head, "Tubby, you worthless F, now what do you want?" It was music to my ears. Hell, I wouldn’t have the job I have today without St. Clair Motorsports on my resume AND the recommendations from Rob, Tony and Matt. Half the parts on my Formula FST are donated from his shelves or fabricated in his shop. The tools in my tool box came from two men – my dad and Rob. He was partially my inspiration to become an engineer, and played a big part in me being where I am today.

"Uncle" Rob taught me a lot about racing and even more about life. I am certain I am a better person for having known and worked with him, and I cherish the friendship he offered me.

I will miss him deeply.
    Last edited by jsteeb; 10.31.10 at 3:59 PM.

Terrible news. My prayers are with Rob and his family.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Ah crap, how in hell does such a shining light get put out so early ?
    Our racing family is lessened by this.
    What a man.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 39

I didn't know Rob very well, but he was always very receptive and offered friendly advice & info. Whenever I was at his shop I always felt welcome. My thoughts and prayers to the St.Clair family..........Bruce MacDonald

Liked: 977

Our sincere condolences; he was certainly a great guy.

John

Liked: 601

Default Rob St.Clair

I remember the first time I saw Rob, he came to Waterford Hills to work on someones race car, can't remember the year, think it was a F/C Reynard, I'm sure his driver finished, and probably won. From that point on, he just seemed to be always around, wrenching some type of single seater racer. When his business grew, he called upon us for support of the kind of things we do.. I think it drove him nuts that he couldn't do it all himself. Sometimes he tried, but as most of in this racing business find out, sooner or later, you let some others in. That's when I got to know him better.
    He called me Thursday afternoon, to ask if he could send someone my way for a simple job, and then explained in detail, what I generally knew about his health. Normally Rob called for some part, needing it just before he was about to leave for a track (as most racers seem to do). But this time was different. So much so, that when I went home that night, I told Diane, guess who called me today?
    The news Friday (Mark Defer called first), couldn't be believed, I thought he must have made a mistake. Rob said he had an appointment on Tuesday, just a few days away, so how could this be?
    How many have spend some time under the St.Clair Motorsports tent, if not as a customer or competitor, than maybe as one who was invited to one of those Run-Offs party's they had during the years at Mid-Ohio?
    I will miss him too!
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 57

Default Rob St. Clair

For those of you who don't know, Rob and I worked very closely in the Pro Series this year. When Rob's truck blew up in New York after the Limerock Pro race, I was sitting on my recliner and the phone rang, it was Rob. "My truck blew up come get me" so of course off I went. Took his trailer back to MI, where I got to enjoy St. Clair Motorsports and had the steak that was promised but had never gotten till then. 2 weeks later on my way to St. Clair Motorsports to pick up Mark, Bill & Chris's cars, my trailer broke. So I called Rob and he came and got me. We used Rob's trailer and my truck and went to Road America. Friends like that are hard to find. He was the first one to answer when I needed something. I just talked to him this week about his condition and that things were to be fixed nexted Tuesday. I told him at that point if he needed anything I was here to help. This is a huge lose for us all. Rob became a great over the past season, we shared alot in a short amount of time. I will miss him deeply. My thoughts and prayers are with Robin and the rest of the St. Clair Team.

Kris Kaiser
    K-Hill Motorsports

P.S. Rob, I hope you took your dirt bike with you.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Rob, his family and friends. Just a huge loss !
    He taught me so much and always made me laugh. His trailer was one of the best places to be during The Runoffs and later at the pro series.

Rob Poma

Liked: 12

The St. Clair pit was always a welcome place for the EFCN crew. Cold beer was a given, as was witty banter and a smile. Damn, there's a big hole in our world now. Our hearts go out to Robin and the whole crew.

We'll always have the golf cart races at Sebring, right? ;-)

Godspeed, Rob. We're really, really, really going to miss you.

Rob Howden - EFCN
    Take care,

Rob Howden
    519-223-1152

Contributing Member

I am still numb after Joe's phone call Friday afternoon. Thursday afternoon I brought McDonalds to the shop and Joe and Rob and I had lunch and talked about next year. Rob was pretty upbeat, looked healthy and told me about Jose and others volunteering to help during his recovery so we still might be able to be ready for Florida in January.

He told me he was meeting with his Dr. Tuesday and hoped to have his surgery Wednesday. We looked at some things to do on the cars. When I left I asked him to be sure and call after he saw his Dr. and let me know if he needed any help. I wished him well, shook his hand and left.

Little did I know.

I remember Rob years ago starting to do some prep in Dave Dixon's shop. At first he would do some pre-race prep for me and I would trailer the car and run myself at the track. That evolved into a full prep arrive and drive arrangement. I learned Rob could be counted on to only do things one way. Correctly. I developed absolute confidence that my car would be safe every time.

At some point over the years Rob became more than the prep shop owner. He became a trusted friend. Somehow it doesn't seem enough to just say he will be missed.

Big Lew

Contributing Member
    Liked: 100

man, i'm gonna miss that guy.
    i'm also gonna miss pulling all the practical jokes i would constantly pull on him .
    poor rob.
    such as:
    i'm at mido, in pit lane. rob for whatever reason [probably a smoke break] is still back at the trailer. i radio him that i've got a flat tire. he grabs a jack and spare tire and comes running full tilt. as i recall, he actually tried jumping over the pit wall and fell. just kidding rob.....
    then there was the old joke with the horn. i had a horn on my 99 vd. when rob would be aligning the car with me sitting in it, i would discretly reach over and turn on the master. then when he'd lean over the front of the car i blow the horn. it always pissed him off and we'd all laugh at him.
    poor rob, we laughed at him a lot.
    at least once a weekend as i would go to leave the trailer for the false grid i'd look up at him and say "no clutch". he'd usually fall for it.
    of course he'd get me back in little ways.
    like the times i'd be on the radio with him and couldn't get an answer. smoke break.
    poor rob, gonna miss that guy.
    great fabricator, great wrench, great human being. just a fine damn man.

anyway, one last time [with feelin] for old times sake, the st clair fight song.
    sung to the tune of "buttercup baby".

why do you prep me up,
    robbie rob buddy?
    then the car breaks down,
    a defect is found.
    and then worst of all,
    you don't have it ready
    when you say you will.
    but we need you still.
    we need you, we need you,
    more than engineers robbie.
    this you have known from the start.
    so prep me up,
    robbie rob,
    hope the car starts.

be at the track by 10,
    you tell me time and again.
    but you're late,
    i wait around and then.
    i run to the gate,
    it's now more than late.
    it's not you,
    you've let me down again.
    hey, hey, hey, robbie rob
    try to find, a little time
    to make the car better.
    we'll be there,
    in nomex underwear,
    waiting for you,
    you hoo hoo, you hoo hoo...

why do you prep me up,
    robbie rob buddy?
    then the car breaks down,
    a defect is found.
    and then worst of all,
    you don't have it ready
    when you say you will.
    but we need you still.
    we need you, we need you,
    more than engineers robbie.
    this we have known from the start.
    so prep me up,
    robbie rob,
    hope the car starts.

mark d

36. The following members LIKED this post:

Those song lyrics might be the best thing you've ever done Mark. Glad we got to sing them to Robby Rob under the St. Clair tent at Mid-O one last time this year.

Liked: 896

Default From Hank Sleath

Hank has asked me to post this.

I met Rob decades ago when I went to the garage behind his house to have him rebuild a transmission for me. Most of you don't know me, many of you have never seen me, for you see, my son and I have the only "fendered car" permitted at "The Shop". And although you knew him best from the track, I knew him best at "The Shop" where we spent many non-race weekends and winter days together, he preparing for the next event, me just fiddling around. Often we would banter about whether to listen to my Oldies or his Disco on satellite radio, but most of the time just working in silence, each on his own task. Whenever I needed help he'd mutter, not quite under his breathe, "Damn Engineers", then help anyway. So tomorrow when I'm at "The Shop" awaiting the arrival of his out of town family, I'll listen to Disco, LOUD, Rob hated it loud.

I already miss my friend!

Hank, S2 #13

Liked: 160

Although I did not know Rob very well, I did know him as someone always willing to help. He will be missed by all in the paddock.

Our thoughts and prayers to the St. Clair Motorsports family.

David Clubine
    Britain West Motorsport/Audette Racing

A photo of Mark and Cole the first time they publically sang "Prep Me Up" at the F2KCS banquet in 2007.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

2007 was a fun year for St. Clair,Rob was so excited he even showed up at a couple of tracks on schedule.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information