Thread: Snell 2015

Liked: 0

Default Snell 2015

I need a new helmet and just checked the release date for the Snell 2015 rating... they won't be available for sale until October, 2015 at the earliest. Effectively, they won't be available until the 2016 season. This means I'll end up buying some Snell 2005 POS to get me through next season so that I don't waste 5 years of a good helmet. Is there anybody else who thinks manufacturers should start date-stamping helmets, which should become the basis for expiration? The only recent major change in Snell criteria came with the advent of HANS, et al, devices, which was addressed in the 2010 rating. I understand that the 2015 rating is little changed from 2010, and that 2005 was little changed from 2000.

Snell could probably care less and manufacturers probably care little, but I'm sure retailers would welcome a smoother cycle. Probably the one way to make this happen would be to have all the racing clubs in the country accept purchase receipts as proof of helmet manufacture date. This would, of course, invite blatant fraud, to which the only solution would be helmets with manufacture dates.

VMAX

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Good idea or Date of Expiration like belts ?
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 0

Default Snell 2015

I believe some racing organizations require replacement every 5 years while others require it every 10 years. Providing manufacture dates allows each club to set it's own requirement. Currently, the Snell rating is equivalent to manufacture dates provided by manufacturers that close their doors for four out of every five years.

VMAX

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

If you run scca the 05 should be good until the 16 are out for some period of time [ 6 months to 1yr]. Other series I do not know.

Liked: 76

SCCA has allowed a full calendar year + to update the helmet requirements. If they follow past president then 2005 snell stickers would no longer be good after Jan 1,2016. The 2015 helmets having been available aprox 14 months at that time. Snell updates their standard every five years with new requirements reflecting better safety because of new technology for the helmet manufactures to take advantage of. Many manufacturers update there product as technologies become available. A helmet manufactured in 2014 is probably better than one manufactured in 2011 although they both have the same snell sticker.
    butch deer

Liked: 49

If you run SCCA, you will probably be able to use a Snell 2010 helmet until January 2021.. Basically 5 and 1/2 years.. That doesn't seem like a bad run for a helmet if you use it often enough!

But I guess if you can still find a cheap Snell 2005 that fits you well enough, it may be worth it.. I'd divide the price of a good helmet by 5 years and if you can find something cheaper than that, it'd be worth it - Given the average $1000 decent helmet, that's $200/year.. So yeah, if there's a Snell 2005 helmet you can grab for $200, and you can stand to wear it for a season, do it!

I agree that it would be better for us if helmets expired based on their manufacture date, but that could just as easily backfire. We really don't want them to realize that the chin straps on our helmets are probably made from the same webbing that forces us to replace our belts every two years.

Liked: 601

Default Snell 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Tiago Santos View Post
    We really don't want them to realize that the chin straps on our helmets are probably made from the same webbing that forces us to replace our belts every two years.
    "Chin Strap" on a Bell helmet is Kevlar, not seat belt material (SFI and FIA are different).
    Snell controls when those with the new stickers can be sold, not the helmet companies.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 146

Quote Originally Posted by Tiago Santos View Post
    If you run SCCA, you will probably be able to use a Snell 2010 helmet until January 2021.. Basically 5 and 1/2 years.. That doesn't seem like a bad run for a helmet if you use it often enough!
    This is what I usually do...buy 5 years off the new standard and use them for 5 years. VERY nice SA2010 lids available soon at discount prices.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Thread Information