Thread: Rear Attenuator

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Default Rear Attenuator

Looking for a rear crush box for '90 Reynard. Reynard-Mk 9 transaxle.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 3787

For the last 25 years that has been called a rear wing assembly.

You'll have to build your own, i'm afraid.

Thx Frog. Watching my buddy back into the wall at BIR got me thinking a little cushion on the tranny cover might be a good idea. Having 'practiced' several spins myself this summer I believe I'll find some honeycombed aluminium & see what I can come up with.

Larry Oliver made up a very nice crush box for the front end. I still admire the craftsmanship every time I put on the front wing.

John LaRue's rear attenuator on his beautiful Citation is one of the best in our form of racing. It is Carbon Fiber.
    But... you could craft something in its dimensions using aluminum.
    I think I have pictures somewhere...

I saw a photo of one of John's carbon fiber masterpieces a while ago. Probably beyond my craftsmanship capabilities as I've never worked with carbon fiber.

Some photos would be greatly appreciated.

Liked: 977

Default pics

Wing mounts off of the rear aluminum plates. Forward straps bolt into the side of the LD200. Sorry the pic is upside down, but every one I post from my IPAD shows up like this.
    Last edited by John LaRue; 10.19.14 at 12:14 PM.

John,
    Hold your iPad upside down before you hit send.

Seriously, you may be able to flip the picture within the iPad before you attach it.

Liked: 601

Default Rear Attenuator

Kirk,
    We can talk what you want it at Waterford next weekend.
    Besides selling racing parts, one of the things I do around here is fold, spindle and mutilate aluminum.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Quote I received from Ethan, " Having Keith work on your car is like having Warren Buffett manage your portfolio ! "

My thinking about the rear crush box is more about saving another car's nose and perhaps saving the tranny backing into concrete.

John, that's truly an impeccable piece !

Just got off the phone with Warren. He doesn't manage portfolios of $47.16.....

Liked: 1397

Default Attenuator

I have attached a picture of the attenuator that John LaRue has posted a pictures. This is the original application on the Citation F1000.

For LaRue I build adapters/mounts to install the carbon structure on the Hewland LD200. The aluminum plates on the side of John's picture help distribute the loads to mounting bosses on the side of the LD200. The attenuator also mounts to the wing mount on the rear of the LD200.

The Attenuator serves to purposes: 1. is to protect the driver in the case of a severe rear end impact and 2. to protect the rest of the race car as much as possible. In particular, The mounting system has resulted in no damage to the gear box in the couple accidents that John's car has had. The carbon fiber parts have been replaced after one accident.

Given the cost of replacing the transmission on a Reynard, I would think the cost of this attenuator setup would be cheap by comparison. Contact Mike at hurleyracingproducts.com for the carbon attenuator. The trick will be how to mount the attenuator to a MK8/9 gearbox.

Thx Steve. I'm beginning to grow very fond of this old Reynard & just now beginning to appreciate Adrian's design for the time period. It has a Reynard stamping on the case & I would especially like to preserve it. I've already had several near misses with the concrete at BIR all on my own.

Thread Information