DEGRAND SWEEPS TED POWELL MEMORIAL
CALABOGIE, ON (August 24, 2014) – Race 2 of the Motorsport Club of Ottawa’s Ted Powell Memorial at Calabogie Motorsports Park belonged to Eureka, MO’s Tristan DeGrand.
DeGrand led the field to a wild start, with several rows behind him 4 and 5 wide heading into turn 1. Zacharie Robichon took full advantage with some good moves and improved his position immediately jumping up to 2nd followed by Chase Pelletier and Craig Willis.
At the checkered flag it was DeGrand followed by Willis and Pelletier.
“It felt so good to come here and have a weekend like this,” said DeGrand. “After the disappointment I had in the Super Series finale in Trois-Rivieres I was really happy with today’s outcome. The car was perfect, I worked on some things overnight and it made everything that much better today. Plus I love this track so I am pretty happy.”
Robichon would close out a solid 4th place finish for the 2014 Piper in it’s debut and with some time to develop the car looks to be a very competitive addition to the BGR Team Grote stable.
Max Hanratty had a solid day after a rough Race 1 and drove to a very satisfying 5h place finish.
Bryson Schutte had an impressive weekend in his series debut and would be a very welcome addition on a full-time basis. Schutte waged a fantastic battle over the last couple of laps with Caitlin Johnston; the two crossing the line almost simultaneously in 6th and 7th respectively.
Reid Arnold rebounded from a disappointing qualifying to bring his car home in 8th ahead of Serge Lacroix, Bruno Chapinotti and Andre du Preez.
In the B Class battle Graham Lobban would steal a little thunder from points leader Connor Wagland and get the win. The two were nose to tail for the entire race, swapping positions a few times but Wagland felt it was best to play it cautious with his first Championship title on the line and bring it home in 2nd.
?
Amy Castell racked up another impressive finish with the final step on the podium and overcame some gearbox woes and a loss of power in the first race. Keith Lobban finished in 5th followed by David Graham in 6th and Mike Lee in 7th. Jean- Guy Fournier, Sean Gocher and Ghislain Theriault round out the top 10.
The race went green the entire distance. The margin of victory was 7.864 seconds and the fastest lap also went to DeGrand at 2:13.533.
Up next is the Series finale, September 13/14, 2014 at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park.
The Toyo Tires F1600 Championship Series is the premiere open wheel series in Ontario, sanctioned by CASC Ontario Region and proudly supported by Toyo Tires, Honda HPD, Lubrico Warranty, Heather’s Heros, Cove Dentistry, Stäubli, Lincoln Electric, Braille Battery, Jongbloed Racing Wheels, Johnston Research and Performance, MK Technologies, Jones Brown Motorsport Insurance and Rod Ends Mechanical. The series is comprised of a six event, double-header format and competes at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, the Honda Indy Toronto and Calabogie Motorsports Park.
###