TED POWELL RACE 1 GOES TO DEGRAND
CALABOGIE, ON (August 23, 2014) - Race 1 of the Ted Powell Memorial at Calabogie Motorsports Park was a wild one with the victory going to Tristan DeGrand.
The Eureka, MO native led every lap but was kept in close contact by both Pelletier and eventual 2nd place finisher Craig Willis.
“This has become my favourite track,” said a jubilant DeGrand. “I love the long track format and the way it flows it’s just amazing. The race went pretty much the way I wanted it to. We had a good start and Max (Hanratty) managed to get in behind me, then I saw all of the action behind me and thought I had a good gap but Chase (Pelletier) was right there with me until the end.”
The start of the race had some fairly intense action with a couple of off-track adventures and some changes in the running order. DeGrand held the lead through the first couple of corners, with Hanratty, Pelletier and Robichon in tow. Robichon made a bold move to overtake Hanratty and he was forced off track.
Willis was the big beneficiary with all of the action in front of him and slipped up into the 4th position.
The front 4 gapped the pack slightly and stayed in formation for most of the race until Willis slipped by Robichon to take the 3rd spot.
There was one full-course caution for contact between Keith Lobban and David Graham, both cars unable to finish the race. Once the field was collected behind the pace car there was only enough time for one green flag lap.
DeGrand got a good start and was unchallenged to take the checkered flag, his 8th win on the season. Willis capped off a great drive by getting by Chase Pelletier on the final lap and took the 2nd step on the podium. Pelletier was 3rd, Zacharie Robichon would close out the new Piper’s debut with a solid 4th and Bryson Schutte finished 5th in his series debut.
In the B Class battle Connor Wagland was back on form after a major rebuild in the weeks between this event and the Honda Indy Toronto, where he suffered
?
significant damage to both his car and his lead in the points. In addition to his win he finished 7th overall.
“That was a great race, I am really happy,” said Wagland. “I got off to a good start and was racing with the A Class car of Serge Lacroix. All the while I was looking in the mirror for that black car of (Stephen) Adams and it just kept getting closer and closer. It was great to get the win.”
Wagland increased his lead in the championship with the win and was followed by 2nd place finisher Stephen Adams and 3rd place finisher Graham Lobban.
Amy Castell, 2nd in B Class points suffered a gearbox failure and lost some ground to Wagland.
Race 2 for the Ted Powell Memorial at Calabogie Motorsports Park will take place Sunday afternoon.
The Toyo Tires F1600 Championship Series is the premiere open wheel series in Ontario, sanctioned by CASC Ontario Region and proudly supported by Toyo Tires, Honda HPD, Lubrico Warranty, Heather’s Heros, Cove Dentistry, Stäubli, Lincoln Electric, Braille Battery, Jongbloed Racing Wheels, Johnston Research and Performance, MK Technologies, Jones Brown Motorsport Insurance and Rod Ends Mechanical. The series is comprised of a six event, double-header format and competes at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, the Honda Indy Toronto and Calabogie Motorsports Park.
###