Thread: Points update

Liked: 15

Default Points update

Just wondering if there is going to be an update on the point from the last weekend??

Thanks
    Kapelke Tuned

RF93 Van Diemen FF1600

Liked: 200

Done
    Sorry for the delay
    Shake up at the top of the points after the last weekend!

http://formula1200.com/championship/standings/
    Shane Viccary
    #27 Citation-Zink Z-16

Points have been updated

FYI, with the last race at Calabogie being classified as a tie, the decision has been made to award both drivers with 1st place points, and nobody will get 2nd place points.

Points are also updated showing what the points are with 2 drops

http://formula1200.com/championship/standings/
    Shane Viccary
    #27 Citation-Zink Z-16

Liked: 15

In every race organization I have ever raced in if there is a tie the points go to the driver that has the most overall points up to that point before drops. I have never heard of this method being used???

The following I don't want to be construded as whining or complaining. This is just an example of what I have been trying to say at the meetings of how our points structure is too far apart once you get out of the top 3.

With having one bad weekend as a result of engine trouble all weekend. My two drops got used (thats fine thats what there for) and the one 5th place finish that I can't drop (engine starting to blow) i am now over 100 points back. Even if I were too win the next 6 races and the other two finish in their average position it would almost be impossible to win or get second. Thats winning 9 races of the 18 and always finishing in the top 3 except for one 5th. I think we should all be able to drop 3 races each season. In case of a crash or mechanical failure than you don't get penalized for the entire weekend.

Having a points structure that is closer togeather would also keep other people in the hunt a little longer and more of chance. And also build more motivation for people too show up.

I know what some people are going to say is "well thats racing!" Were not trying to be an all win or nothing organization. I think it would be a beneficial way to get people interested as well. Were all out there for fun, but part of the fun is competition.

In Karting we had a structure that unless there was pure domination by one individual. The top 5 would have reasonable chance of winning the championship. Finshing consistancy is what mattered. In the 1200s it seems like if your not on the podium every race your out of luck.

Again please dont construde this post as a whining person who lost. Just an observation I have been making well before I even raced a full season. As this is my first full season I have raced with the 1200s this is first time it has affected me.

Thanks. Any thoughts or input would be great as I would like to talk about this at the next meeting.
    Kapelke Tuned

RF93 Van Diemen FF1600

Liked: 36

I was always at the back...................being an old fart had its bonus tho..I have 7 trophies with second place or third place printed on them....guess what I tell my friends when they visit(cos they know nothig about what a masters class means)After 5 beers I tell them how i just missed out on first place while showing them my ("MASTERS Trophies) SSShhhhhhhhhh please dont say anything Guys.

Liked: 22

The current point structure started in 2007. Frank Steinhausen and I battled for the championship the previous year, but Frank suffered a lot of bad luck that year and so he and Harry devised this system of two dropped scores. It is just two so you cannot skip a complete weekend and win the championship.
    I cannot say I like the system, but as the main beneficiary of Frank’s bad luck, it seemed churlish to complain.
    Personally, I would like to see a return to previous system where all races counted. Its less confusing.

Kevin, the points system was changed a few years ago to promote consistency and "showing up", and IMO it's working. A couple years ago, Steve Bamford won the CASC points on the old points structure, where Michael won the FTDA points on the new structure. Steve had more wins, but Michael had more top 5's.

This year, if you use two drops for Michael and Phil, neither one of them have a finish outside of the top 2. I'm sorry, but any points structure will have them well ahead of anyone else.

Another indication that it's working properly is that the top 6 in the championship are the only 6 drivers that have entered every weekend thus far. These are exactly the type of results we were looking for when we changed the points structure.

As the drops go, what Guy mentioned is exactly why we have two drops. referencing the masters points, Kevin Deevey has raced one extra weekend over Bill Mitchell. With two drops, Kevin has a 40 point lead. With three drops, Bill has a 48 point lead. Shouldn't we be encouraging for drivers to come out to every event? Shouldn't Kevin be rewarded for coming out to every weekend?
    Shane Viccary
    #27 Citation-Zink Z-16

Thread Information