Thread: Car Mods Q

Liked: 9

Default Car Mods Q

Good to see you all at Nationals. Great fun as usual.
    I figure all of you must be back by now as most live further away than I do
    I talked to several people about car set up(I know, the nut behind the wheel of my car needs some major help) and I am inspired to experiment with my car to see if I can make it better. I was wondering how much on power oversteer you all are running? Is it possible to dial in a bit and if so, should I do it with less rear negative camber to less rear bar? Please let me know what you think.
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 1112

I'm no expert but would say that in general reducing rear grip (less camber/more bar/etc.) can be a fun way to get the car rotating but is probably not quicker. If you want more oversteer the first step should be to maximize front grip. Depending on tires you may need very little front bar if you're willing to deal with the rotation.

Looking forward to input from those who really know what they're doing...
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 102

Especially with an open diff, the rear toe adjustment can be used to adjust the compromise between power oversteer and inside wheelspin. Rear toe in reduces the slip angle of the inside rear tire relative to the outside rear, so it has more of its longitudinal capability available to reduce wheelspin. Too much rear toe in produces power oversteer, and not enough produces inside wheelspin. The optimum setting depends on the turn radius and the proportions of power and grip. Of course camber and roll stiffness distribution have powerful effects as well.

Thanks for the replies. I will ck my toe in before the next event.
    Mark
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 3

Mark, if you want some setup help in real time at events, I can help. My car is now officially gone and I don't have anything I "need" to drive for now

Before playing with alignment (which I believe was done by Kraus?), I'd suggest figuring out where you are with spring/wheel rates. Last time we spoke, I think you were not certain where you were at...

Quote Originally Posted by mwood View Post
    Mark, if you want some setup help in real time at events, I can help. My car is now officially gone and I don't have anything I "need" to drive for now

Before playing with alignment (which I believe was done by Kraus?), I'd suggest figuring out where you are with spring/wheel rates. Last time we spoke, I think you were not certain where you were at...
    Ok.
    Mark

Thread Information