Thread: Weight

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 58

Default Weight

HI GUYS
    CAN WE TALK WEIGHT?????
    So the conversion is done and we are going to start testing in a couple of weekends, BUT
    the car is FAT!!! so the question is this,
    for the guys who have converted FC to FB did you fine out that because the car was built for FC it is hard to get the weight down for FB ?
    Does anyone one want to share what there cars weight is please?
    Any idea on how to lighten it?
    My West DSR was always 100 lbs overweight, nothing I could do but spend $20k for a carbon fiber body, (did not do that) just drove it.
    thanks
    dave

Contributing Member Brandon Dixon's Avatar
    Liked: 127

I'd start with smaller brakes

Liked: 43

How fat are you talking?

I did a lot of work to get my car down. Many items were included to shave weight. If I know how many pounds you are over I may be able to help you prioritize what you may want to change.

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Dixon View Post
    I'd start with smaller brakes
    Your mean.
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Liked: 273

Dave
    Getting down to minimum weight is the Holy Grail of any class, more so with the F1000 due to the low torque.

I can tell you from watching your build as it went along I could see it was going to be heavy.

I doubt that anyone that has done a conversion is going to tell you exactly what their car weighs. I do know that those that have done it have gone to great lengths to achieve it, ask Dan (northwind) about this. As I recall he built one of the lightest conversion cars built.

FAST WAY TO DROP WEIGHT:
    Go to smaller calipers and rotors. I believe there could be 4 or 5 pounds per corner to shave off.

TRIPOD AXLES:
    Get rid of those heavy FC halfshafts and convert to the small tripod FSAE ones that Taylor sells. That will most likely be the cheapest 9 lb loss (about $700)

You really have to look at the overall packaging on the car. Do you have redundant brackets, wiring, body work that might be repaired multiple times, or bodywork that is simply way too thick.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 84

I just shaved 40lbs off my cars overall weight by going on a diet. Didn't cost me anything
    "If you're not driving on the edge you're taking up too much space.... "

Liked: 8

Default WEIGHT

JPaul nice dude I didn't realize you had 40 to drop lol
    Jason Bell
    STOHR 2013
    F1000
    f1000bwracing@highwaysystemsinc.com

Liked: 84

I carry weight nicely...
    "If you're not driving on the edge you're taking up too much space.... "

Liked: 23

Get one of those small light weight batteries. There are more than one out there.

Also, maybe go to an aluminum floor if the one you have is steel.

Default WEIGHT

What's the weight of your car alone Dave
    Jason Bell
    STOHR 2013
    F1000

Liked: 49

My car was ridiculously overweight at the start of the season. here is my approach:
    Anti gravity Battery- saved 13 lbs
    New Wheels JongBlood instead of OZ Aluminum about 20 lbs total
    New diffuser from Gyrodynamics saved 9 lbs
    SS header and shorter exhaust- about 6 lbs

Still looking at:
    Lighter calipers and rotors - assume I can get another 2 lbs per corner
    Lighter bodywork and floor - another 10 to 20 lbs available
    removing full jabrock underfloor and replacing it with strips ??lbs
    Going on a starvation diet before each race - no fun!

If I do everything I can get my car close to minimum weight provided I don't eat too many sweets.
    Last edited by sprocketmensch; 09.04.14 at 9:06 PM.
    “THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.”
    Hunter S Thompson

Man I feel bad for you guys, I've got 60lbs of ballast on my car and I can eat whatever I feel like.

Buy a Phoenix.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Default WEIGHT

That's a lot yikes I'm around 1015 -1025 I'm not trying to peel the last 15lbs. I'm good with it.
    Jason Bell
    STOHR 2013
    F1000

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonrmbell View Post
    That's a lot yikes I'm around 1015 -1025 I'm not trying to peel the last 15lbs. I'm good with it.
    You can bet that the guys running in front of you are counting that 15 to 25 lbs. Ask JR or Brandon about that. Ballast with fuel and roll over the scales at 1006. Gotta push the limit. You just gave up a horse and a half.

I have a 3/16" thick steel plate bolted to the bottom of my car, as low as you can get it.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Default WEIGHT

I'm good Smalls. No worries
    Jason Bell
    STOHR 2013
    F1000

Liked: 159

Default weight

The JDR has to carry lots of ballast........even with heavy ss floors We can meet wt with a 230 lb driver. Apparently so can the phoenix according to Gary. The Piper that Novak won the runoffs with a couple years back was always near the min crossing the scales. I don't know about the converted cars.....but some good ideas at dropping some pounds have already listed.....give it a try.

Jerry

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 58

Default wheels

hi guys
    any ideas in what the OZ wheels weight is 6" and 8"
    I have 2 sets of the 3 piece youngblods now
    can we save a lot by going to OZ?
    dave

Default WEIGHT

We actually came across the scales at 1008 after the mid ohio race. Usually we come across at 1025 because we only have ran a half a lap lol.
    Jason Bell
    STOHR 2013
    F1000

Liked: 145

Default Oz

Oz 6 are a few more ounces, Oz rears are a few more pounds, I use mine for my rains and inters.

Liked: 442

Greg he has the same wheels i do so it might be the opposite direction weight wise. The jongbloeds made from lead shot not alum or mag

Liked: 23

I think my VD weighed about 1040 before WE went on a diet. The AP aluminum calipers, the light weight battery, and I am 10-15lbs lighter. We're close.

Liked: 896

We weighed in at 1006 after the race at last years Runoffs. To bad we had throttle cable problems in the race.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 0

Default Weight Saving

I guess first you need to quantify the components of the car and identify which are "heavy". Then asses how realistic modifications are to get weight out without compromising the integrity of the car.

The conversion looks awesome to me, I can't see a lot wrong with it. I think you are probably stuck with an overdesigned front end rather than your new rear end being the problem.

Only things I notice is the intermediate bulkhead has some lightweighting pockets to it but you could be more aggressive with them. The differential bearing housings also look solid alu in the photos, you could pocket out those. Also the rear wing supports could be pocketed. These are all aluminium though so weight gain versus the work involved may not be worth it.

It's been eluded to already with the talk of lighter wheels and brakes discs. Reducing rotating mass is a win win scenario. You reduce the overall car weight but also reduce the inertia of what the engine has to turn over. So savings in those areas would pay dividends in terms of overall lap time improvement.

Are the drive shafts solid? If so could you get them gun drilled? The material in the centre of a solid drive shaft is really doing sweet FA!!

Liked: 0

Default Drive shafts

While I mention lightweight drive shafts here's a little anecdote you may like.

I once worked for a well known transmission company and we designed a new drive shaft for Indycar. It was beautiful. It incorporated the CV trilobes on both ends as one piece with the rest of the shaft. It was a feat of maching and really looked the dogs bollocks! We also applied that age old engineering adage of if we increase the diameter we can reduce the wall thickness and maintain strength whilst reducing weight. Less rotating mass - win WIN!!!

As proud as punch we arrived at Indianapolis with our one piece, super lightweight, super strong, LARGE diameter drive shafts. Do you think increasing drive shaft diameter at a track like Indianapolis helps????? Apparently there is another age old race car adage called DRAG?!?!!??! D'OH!!!!! I think we made the car 10mph slower.

It was good on the road courses though.

Awesome post Frazer, I can appreciate how difficult that halfshaft must have been to machine.

When I first took my Taylor FSAE halfshafts out of the box my reaction was, "no way these will hold up". Well I've installed 3 sets of these now and they've got a total of 16 races on my personal ride.

The small tripods are holding up just fine, I was a bit worried about doing standing starts with them but so far so good. They weigh half of nothing compared to a Lobro CV.

This setup comes standard now on the new Phoenix F1000. We machine our own tripod drives so no conversion parts are needed, few parts less weight.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 9

I could not figure it out from the GCRs. Is it 1000lb with or with out driver?
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 947

1000lbs with driver.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Thread Information