Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 7

Default Caracal D Roller - SOLD

Late 80's/early 90's Caracal D with closed-top Razor bodywork. Engine has since been removed, but transmission is still installed. Chassis has always been garaged, and is in excellent shape. I'm figuring someone out there could appreciate this car and relatively rare bodywork. I was preparing to cut it months ago to allow my 6"2' 210lbs frame to fit in the car (that's why the masking tape is there), but I'm opting to sell it unmolested instead. Perhaps someone with an extra engine could put this rolling chassis to good use in SCCA. Includes extra set of wheels.

***UPDATE*** 05/24/2016: I have another engine for this car, but is not installed - yet. asking $1900. Located in southeast Michigan.

Matthew
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 08.07.16 at 8:34 AM. Reason: this car is still for sale!

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 6

Silly question: Is this thing still legal? Other than belts, etc.

Thanks!

C.

Quote Originally Posted by twofoot65 View Post
    Silly question: Is this thing still legal? Other than belts, etc.

Thanks!

C.
    I don't think the canopy is legal, and it's not great for forward vision, but the bodywork without the canopy is legal.

Liked: 174

Very Rare! Don't ever dispose of the Razor bodywork....

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Amon View Post
    Very Rare! Don't ever dispose of the Razor bodywork....

Mark
    Thanks Mark! I figured the "cool factor" was reason enough not to cut into it. Anyhow, its listed OBO for a reason. I could use the extra floor space. Someone make a reasonable offer! I'd like to set the record for fastest sale on ApexSpeed!

Default Lowered Price

$2700 OBO.

Really, someone should make an offer. It's a great platform for someone to build on (especially if you have a spare engine) and I'm wanting to free up some space!

Liked: 200

I know there weren't many of these...is there any historical significance to it? Past owners/drivers? Any success that you know of?
    Shane Viccary
    #27 Citation-Zink Z-16

Liked: 0

Default FV

What would it take to make it legal for vintage?
    Am located in SE Michigan

Liked: 3

Default Noble

Didn't Bill Noble win the runoffs in one in the early '80s? Or at least drive one?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by gla924sem View Post
    What would it take to make it legal for vintage?
    Am located in SE Michigan
    If you are racing this anywhere that uses Monoposto rules, this car is about 20 years too new for Vintage
    Shane Viccary
    #27 Citation-Zink Z-16

Mike,

I think there's a photo of Bill Noble's Razor around on the web, but I'm not sure
    if he won in one? Maybe Steven Davis or Lisa Noble can answer your question?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AVR_Shane View Post
    I know there weren't many of these...is there any historical significance to it? Past owners/drivers? Any success that you know of?
    No, there weren't many as far as I know. But I am not sure of the background of this particular car as I do not have the log book. Previous owner misplaced it over time but it was raced once in MI in 1994 and mothballed it in the corner of his garage until earlier this year when I bought it with plans to restore and race. Work responsibilities are keeping me from continuing the project.

14. The following members LIKED this post:

If you look on the chassis for an identification number of some sort, it might be worth investigating it a bit. Could add some interest to the sale of the car if there is any significance to it.
    Shane Viccary
    #27 Citation-Zink Z-16

Liked: 3

I was over at Fred Clark's shop (Caracalcars) and shared this post with him. He said the car looks original, especially with the low roll bar. The body is known as a Phase 2 body, the molds are right there at the shop and body panels/parts are still available.
    You should give Fred a call 904-234-5603, he may be able to help you figure out some of the car's history.
    Good luck with the sale,
    Neil

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 830

Mike,

I think there's a photo of Bill Noble's Razor around on the web, but I'm not sure
    if he won in one? Maybe Steven Davis or Lisa Noble can answer your question?

Mark
    I don't believe that ANYONE has ever Won the Runoffs with a Razor Car body. Bill Noble did bring one to the Atlanta Runoffs .. in about '81 IIRC. I'm pretty sure that's the year that it RAINED ... and he took a lap or too before blindly returning to the paddock to watch the rest of the race.
    Lisa could confirm.
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 144

There were several Razors at the '86 Runoffs (https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914...n/photostream/). George (Fizell) was running that bodywork for a while, but I don't know if he won that year in that configuration. I'll ask him.

JB

Default Fizell won in 86 and 88 in Razor bodywork

Just talked to George Fizell. He said both his '86 and '88 Runoffs wins were with the Razor bodywork. I forwarded him the info on this car. He was asking how much!

Default George's last car

George's last car: sold it to KP Jones right after the '88 Runoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Agitator View Post
    Just talked to George Fizell. He said both his '86 and '88 Runoffs wins were with the Razor bodywork. I forwarded him the info on this car. He was asking how much!
    George and I both had our own versions of the Caracal D cockpit car in 1986. I had pole and George was gridded 2nd. Race results were reversed after a terrific race long duel with 3 passes for the lead on the last lap down the back straight as I recall. I always enjoyed racing with George. Incredibly fast and always fair. Wish he would return.

SteveO

Steve,

Are these cars still legal to race in the SCCA?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by SOseth View Post
    George and I both had our own versions of the Caracal D cockpit car in 1986. I had pole and George was gridded 2nd. Race results were reversed after a terrific race long duel with 3 passes for the lead on the last lap down the back straight as I recall. I
    always enjoyed racing with George. Incredibly fast and always fair. Wish he would return.

SteveO
    George's response when I sent him the info on this car, telling him I'd be glad to go pick it up for him since my wife's family is in Michigan: "That ship has sailed." He and Sandy moved to Arizona a few years back. They travel quite a bit and he still picks up his surfboard every now and then. Great folks indeed.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but as you can tell, this car was an interesting part of Vee history, to be sure. We tried a version of the bubble cockpit in the early 80's on one of my dad's cars at Charlotte. If I recall, he did one practice session and said he was scared sh!tless because he couldn't see anything on the oval! It probably could have been tweaked, but it ended up in the corner of the shop along with other failed experiments!

Good luck with the sale! If I could afford a Vee museum, I'd buy it in a second.

James Brookshire IV

Steve,

Are these cars still legal to race in the SCCA?

Mark
    I can't say as I haven't seen the car. Perhaps the main issue might be roll bar height. Fred Clark would know better than I would. I can say this was the best car in the draft I have ever driven. Daytona anyone?

SteveO

I appreciate all of the notes and the education on razor-bodied cars! All the pictures are awesome! I'll get under the car tomorrow to try to find a build number. Does anyone have and idea where I should look for it?

Call Fred Clark at CaracalCars.com - he can tell you if the car was BUILT with anything specific on it and where it might be.
    Steve, FV80

Great. Thanks!
    Last edited by Max; 11.19.14 at 10:17 PM.

Liked: 0

Is this car still available? I'm near Lansing, MI

Liked: 896

Yes, is it still available.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 87

Default 1987 runoffs

I remember going to spectate my first runoffs in 1987 and looking at the G Fizell Caracal D and it looked space-age with that windscreen...If my memory is correct, Steven Davis won that year..? Steven , did you hold pole position as well?
    We took a million pics of the Vee race if anyone wants some...
    Mike Winebrenner

Quote Originally Posted by mdwracer View Post
    I remember going to spectate my first runoffs in 1987 and looking at the G Fizell Caracal D and it looked space-age with that windscreen...If my memory is correct, Steven Davis won that year..? Steven , did you hold pole position as well?
    We took a million pics of the Vee race if anyone wants some...
    Mike Winebrenner
    Thanks, Mike. Not related to this thread but I did win that year, but didn't sit on the pole. I actually have a little story and pix of the finish on my website for those who are interested in what a Runoffs finish looked like most of the time back in the Road Atlanta days (<1994).
    http://www.wedgeracing.com/win1987.htm

I'm sure the pole sitter is listed in the SCCA media book although they only list back to 2002 on the web. At my advanced age now, I just can't remember for sure - seems it MIGHT have been Jim Averett. I started back in 9th and managed to hang on to the lead pack to the end.
    Steve, FV80

Liked: 87

Thanks Steve, Sorry Jay did not mean to hijack thread, I just read entire thread and remembered that awesome race... those Atlanta Runoffs were real nail biters decided on last lap, last turn...Steve is a Road Atlanta MASTER!!!
    Mike W

Hello All,

I've forgotten about this thread. It's been a long year of work and haven't had much chance to play with any of the toys in the garage. This car is still for sale. Roller, with bodywork and canopy. I've got a spare set of wheels for it, the exhaust pipework, and extra transmission, though I dont know the ratios. I have measured the ratios in the installed one, but don't have that info on me right now. It is a "short" box though and I'll add the numbers in another post. I have a Waterford Hills logbook and some other bits and pieces for it as well.

I apologize to those who have expressed interest, I'll try to contact you all first to see if it's still a wanted car!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 18

Default Location of D car

Jay Where is the car now. I am near Waterford.

Liked: 301

Quote Originally Posted by Agitator View Post
    George's last car: sold it to KP Jones right after the '88 Runoffs.
    Hope you don't mind that I copied the photo to my computer.
    Always loved the sleek lines and graphics of Fizell's D-car.
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by fvracerone1 View Post
    Jay Where is the car now. I am near Waterford.
    The car is located in Romulus, Michigan. Near Metro Airport. Feel free to PM me for more info.

Additional pictures, still for sale, surprisingly.

39. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 18

Default D inquiry....

So "Max" , do you also have the "coupe body work or center section? How out exhaust and scoops?

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by fvracerone1 View Post
    So "Max" , do you also have the "coupe body work or center section? How out exhaust and scoops?

Frank
    Yes, as mentioned a few posts up, I have the exhaust and canopy included with the sale. Intake scoops are included as well. Also, an extra set of wheels.

For Sale Price Reduction $2300

Price Reduction to $2300

43. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 11

Default please call me

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Price Reduction to $2300
    561-722-8629 Ill send a deposit

Quote Originally Posted by egordon1 View Post
    561-722-8629 Ill send a deposit
    deposit not necessary. give me a call sometime today to discuss. 734-765-7064

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information