Thread: Patrick Mackey

Liked: 20

Default Patrick Mackey

Patrick Mackey of Maple Grove, MN passed away August 15, 2014 at the age of 68 after an 18 week battle with Glioblastoma Brain Cancer. He was courageous throughout his remaining days and passed peacefully in his sleep.

Patrick raced a Datsun 240Z in autocross in the late 60's and won every event he entered. He then moved on to Formula Ford and raced a Lotus 18 and a Crossle 16F in the early 70's in the pacific northwest with the Northwest Motorsports Club in Spokane, WA. He then took some time off to raise a family.

After 35 years away from the sport, he began racing a Swift SC94 again in 2006-2010. In 2011 he hung up his helmet for health reasons and focused his energy on being the crew chief for his son, Ethan. His optimistic energy and his "never give up" attitude led the team to win the SCCA Central Division Regional Championship in Formula F in 2011 and 2012, something he was very proud of.

He was a great competitor on the track and he was a true sportsman in the paddock, always willing to lend a hand to a fellow competitor. He always felt that win or lose, club racing is about the friends and memories you make along the way. He will be remembered for his big smile, great sense of humor and his passion for the sport of racing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Thankful I had the opportunity to know Pat, however briefly. Men such as Pat make this World a far better place. Godspeed !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 42

Ethan,

So so sorry for the loss of your dad. The big smile in those pics just doesn't do justice to the real pride he showed for your racing efforts. He was truly proud, always with a big smile.

Anybody that spent time talking with Pat, could easily see what a GENTLEman he was.

Glad that I had many chances to meet and talk with him, from the time while he was still racing, to visiting with us at our shop, to seeing him at the track working so close with you.

He will be missed.

RIP Pat
    FFCoalition.com
    Marc Blanc

Liked: 78

Default So Sorry

Ethan,

My Dad and I are so sorry to hear about the passing of your father. I know what a great experience racing with your Dad can be.

You and your family are in our prayers.

Meg Sauce
    SowDiv FF10

Liked: 8

Sorry for you and your family, Ethan.

He was such a memorable man - always kind to offer a hand or just great conversation.

-Mike
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

Contributing Member racingflyboy's Avatar
    Liked: 71

We're so sorry for your loss. Pat will be missed by everyone that knew him. I'm grateful that I got to be his friend. I'm sorry for those of you that never met him, you missed out.

Steve
    Steve Barkley
    1969 Palliser-Winkelmann WDF1 FF1600

Liked: 0

Default Man of Character

Ethan,
    I have tried to respond to you via my phone but don't think you ever received. You and your mom have been in my thoughts and prayers for the last week. Terri and I have some awesome memories of you and your family. (The most recent being the Brainerd) You go through life expriencing alot of people of character, but your Father had true character, always a smile on his face and a positive outlook. The look of pride he had for you was noticable a mile away. Thank you for the memories. What a great guy to sit down and exchange stories with. Again, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Todd Rhoades

Liked: 1432

Thoughts and well wishes to all who knew Pat.

I will always remember him as a guy with a huge smile and equal warmth. Only person I can think of who would get rear ended, and then apologize to the guy who hit him and not hear any other way.

....and Pat, that was MY fault.

Godspeed.

Thread Information