Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Default SCCA Website Runoff Results Pathetic

It takes half a day or more for results to appear on the website. Unacceptable for 2015.
    Trap speeds and split times are nice, but get the damn results up in minutes .... not days!

You don't attract followers, build interest, etc with performance like that!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 235

Solo Nationals (and the National Tour and Pro events) have live timing. Times pop up as each driver comes through the finish.
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Liked: 96

Q3 is up via the "Results" link already. (5:17pm Weds - about an hour after it ended)

I don't know if it is my server here at work, but the Live Timing seems to lag compared to Race Monitor.
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Live timing is different than posting results. I'm working on our car. I don't have time to watch sessions or watch live timing. I would like to check in when I have a few minutes and find out how other classes went. That, and friends and family who are not here, is why you post results online. Apexspeed news is much quicker for a few classes, but not all.

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 33

All the results I have looked up are posted to the website within a hour of the end of the session.

Liked: 285

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    Live timing is different than posting results. I'm working on our car. I don't have time to watch sessions or watch live timing. I would like to check in when I have a few minutes and find out how other classes went.
    If you go to the live timing link, there is a tab with the results of all the previous sessions. Yes, they aren't the official results, but the raw data (how did someone do today, what were there speeds, etc) is all there.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Liked: 175

All week about half of the cars in the P1, P2, and FB classes have shown "Need Engine" in both the live timing and provisional results. Seriously?? I've never seen this in Regional results, much less in U.S. Majors results or Runoffs results. So I guess the first question is whether anyone is making any effort to determine which engines these cars are running, and, if not, I suppose the next question is whether the results will go into the 2015 Club Racing Media Guide and Record Book this way. Simply bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferguson View Post
    If you go to the live timing link, there is a tab with the results of all the previous sessions. Yes, they aren't the official results, but the raw data (how did someone do today, what were there speeds, etc) is all there.
    If so, that's typical of the SCCA website. If you follow the "results" link on the website, its half a day behind. For example, FV results for yesterday were not updated until this morning. FV results from 9.20 this morning were not posted by mid afternoon.

Liked: 8

where can we watch the races on the web.

good luck to all
    Anthony Carbone Jr.
    SCCA SRF Gen3 #16
    05 Porsche 997

Liked: 442

Well results for GT1 should be easy they just have to put up one maybe two names the way its going.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

My local BOD member acknowledges that the new website is not good.

Hopefully more of the powers that be will recognize same and get it fixed.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Question from an electronically challenged runoffs watcher.
    How can I get rid of the two not very knowledgeable "announcers" and get JUST Dorsey and Rick Benjamn in real time ?
    The two crappy guys have at least a 20 second lag, aside form being horrible announcers who should be looking for other work in my opinion anyway....
    Having the dual audio sucks as bad as listening to the idiots with the huge lag...
    I suspect I did something but no idea what it might be.....

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Rand, before you click on the video feed, pause the live audio.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 127

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rand View Post
    Question from an electronically challenged runoffs watcher.
    How can I get rid of the two not very knowledgeable "announcers" and get JUST Dorsey and Rick Benjamn in real time ?
    The two crappy guys have at least a 20 second lag, aside form being horrible announcers who should be looking for other work in my opinion anyway....
    Having the dual audio sucks as bad as listening to the idiots with the huge lag...
    I suspect I did something but no idea what it might be.....
    I noticed that when I put the video onto full screen, I had to pause the small video stream, otherwise there was two separate audios going at once.

Make sure you don't have two audios playing at once, you'll have to pause one of them.
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

Liked: 447

You had the audio stream playing along with the video stream. Click "pause" on the audio stream to shut the other guys up.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Thanks to all for the advice, sure makes watching better !

Maybe SCCA can publish a user manual for their website

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default Manual

The user manual is on-line. Except your computer will freeze up when you try and open it. Just like mine did as soon at the green flag dropped in the FF race

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 307

Quote Originally Posted by EACIII View Post
    The user manual is on-line. Except your computer will freeze up when you try and open it. Just like mine did as soon at the green flag dropped in the FF race
    Didn't get my computer to freeze; however, I don't think the same can be said for the SCCA server feed. I am think they had more people viewing than they had server horsepower to handle.

Liked: 66

Default SCCA Video streaming - fix the webpage and add capacity

My suggestion is that if the SCCA is not going to use speedcast then they should scale their infrastructure up to handle the demand.

I had about a dozen people send me text messages stating they would only see about 10 seconds of live video at a time, then it would freeze up. That sounds like there wasn't enough server capacity for the demand.

The video servers should automatically scale up to the number of people trying to view the video. It's not difficult to incorporate intelligent load balancing and auto provisioning (fire up new servers as demand increases) for video events streamed online - that's how speedcast tv (and thousands of other web sites) can handle large volumes of viewers while still delivering quality video.

Additionally, the layout of the web page for watching the live video was not optimal, which is why there were people who had two streams going on at once (this also doubles the demand on the servers unnecessarily). If the web page had just a separate link for the audio/video - not a small window on the same page - it would have been very clear as to what to do to watch it. However, because of the layout, it confused many people and likely doubled the load per user on the video servers, which contributed to the poor quality many viewers experienced.

So first, clean up the web page for viewing the video - don't encourage people to have two streams occurring at once. And second, add more capacity to the video servers.

This will greatly improve the online viewing experience for the fans.

As always, just my $.02.

23. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1417

For such a large organization, they sometimes operate their business like the corner bakery. They could do SO much more for their keystone events, and yet, every year, the disappointment seems to swell.

Poor planning, poor marketing, poor production, poor execution.

But, like pops says, "a blind man would be glad to see it."

25. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1432

I had the same issues as well. Constant freezing, second stream starting as a new race begins, choppy, etc. I think I saw about two laps of the SM race if you sew together all the choppy parts over the 50 min broadcast.

In previous years, on Speedcasttv.com, it was great. Last year I watched all of Saturday straight through with no issues.

Leave it to SCCA to try and get their hands in the cookie jar. Speedcast had a great product. Maybe SCCA saw that as 'hey, we can do that to gain web traffic to our awesome new site and do it ourselves. It's not that hard'...and this is what we get. Hey...that kind of sounds like F4 now.

The 'live' timing was not much better. It was a lap or two behind when it worked, often stuck on the last race group. RaceMonitor was running just fine.

Liked: 307

Viewing the races after the event isn't much easier. I would get 10 seconds of video, 20 seconds of hang up and so on.

I was able to right click with IE8 and get a 'save video as' drop down box, which, while still slow, would eventually capture the entire race and then I could watch the saved file at a normal speed. Neither Chrome or Firefox gave me that 'save video as' option when right clicked.

Liked: 302

I downloaded the FV race in about 5 minutes.

While I had issues watching live, I've had no problems watching since. Might be the time of day you try to watch.

Okay, I will give the SCCA credit for getting the videos posted in a very timely fashion. Since they posted them I've had no issues with the quality of the video on demand.

And yes, you can right click with Chrome or Firefox and choose Save Link As to download it to your PC if you are not using Internet Explorer. That guarantees you will have a good viewing experience.

Liked: 442

Am i blind or is the P1 race still missing?

It's there - bottom left, the last one in the list.

Thread Information