Thread: Fair Price?

Liked: 8

Default Fair Price?

OK guys, what is a reasonable price to pay for a fly-in race mechanic? Mechanic is fully trained, able to work without direct supervision, and easy to work with.

Other than covering all costs, what is a reasonable daily rate?

I know this is a sensitive issue and if you like PM me with your thoughts. I just want to confirm my thoughts.

Thanks, Tom
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Liked: 384

1k a day.
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

Liked: 0

there is a lot of depends,if it's me going to help you
    ,it would be get me there,feed me and house me.
    ken kaplowitz

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Ask him.

Quote Originally Posted by ken kaplowitz View Post
    there is a lot of depends,if it's me going to help you
    ,it would be get me there,feed me and house me.
    ken kaplowitz
    Kenny, I would LOVE to have you helping me....we would have too much fun! This is for some work I just completed for a friend at the Rolex Historics...and I wanted to know the going rate(s).

Working on old cars is a lot more fun than working on these new-fangled cars....a whole lot fewer wires in the way!

Best, T
    Tom Owen

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Tell him the going rate is "FREE" after all expenses were paid...that (A) he's a friend and (B) you enjoyed working on the ol' stuff. If he still insists on paying you for your time then 1/2 your shop rate should be fair as you have zero overhead that he didn't already pay for.

Just my $.02

Tough question. An experienced tech, minimum 10/hr. regardless. A good one, 65/Hr for the work he actually does. I'd try 200-300 a day in addition to expenses with unlimited hours, meaning if things go well, or if it requires midnight engine swap, same money. That way I could budget for it. Hire Reid, and you'll get driver's tips too

Darryl, your a miser

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

All costs in get'm there, housing and the going daily rate for the geographical area that he will be working. Advise him there could be some long days xtra hours beyond 8/day. If he lives up to his fine reputation and stays the necessary time needed - bonus of $100/day at completion of agreed stay time. If this "new hire" lives up to his reputation and what your real intentions are is to hire a person full time without telling him such, give him the bonus as agreed and ask him to stay-if thats your real intention. These days a "new hire" is told it's a temporary job and is later informed- you want him to stay, if he works out. The net result is a new hire that you're happy with-working for you at your regional rate. Everybodys happy: you got a good worker, knows his "stuff" dependable and your paying him/her a fair salary/rate. Or, he's gone without having to teminate because as agreed it was just a temporary job that has been completed. C'est ca!

Liked: 7

I have done that several times with drag teams. Usually it's $200/day and expenses.

Jerry

Liked: 84

$200-300
    "If you're not driving on the edge you're taking up too much space.... "

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by marshall9 View Post
    Darryl, your a miser
    I may be, but that's irrelevant in this case because Tom is the one who provided the labor. In other words if I was helping a friend and he paid all my expenses and I enjoyed working on the cars my services would be provided for free. If my friend insisted then 1/2 my professional shop rate would be "fair".

Default CanAM Cars

A couple of years ago I worked for a team...we ran a total of 8 CanAm cars. I worked with a team of four guys on 5 cars. A LOT of responsibility...working with everything from tube frame Mark 1's to a Mk20! I was OK with working on the cars as I grew up with them but these cars have the ability to hurt somebody....something that I have grown to respect a lot more since I was in my twenties.....and honestly running five cars with four wrenches was a bit "thin", especially as one of the four was the tire guy.

At the end of the deal I did not get paid out, had to travel home on my own dime (credit card) and had to chase them down for my expenses. Ended up getting paid half of the agreed expenses, had my car damaged by one of the customer's "cling-on" friends, and never got reimbursed for my travel time or expenses. Needless to say those folks are no longer considered friends.....

I don't do this for income; I make a lot more money in my own business. I do it to help a good friend, to enjoy new venues, and the pleasure of doing things right.

I have never had to pay for crew at the track; just lucky I guess. Some of my best friends are very accomplished guys...and we have always helped each other out. I have always paid all expenses, all meals, even bought souvenirs for everyone...that is how I was raised. Anyone who has ever raced with us KNOWS how well you eat with us! Same as most of you folks. But after this past couple of weeks, the lack of knowledge of "what things cost" has gnawed away at me a little bit.

Thanks to all who have replied, and those of you who PM'd me. I appreciate the guys who do this professionally sharing their (personal and private) experience; At the age I am (58) I am not looking to start a new business or to change my career. This has been illuminating to say the least!

To be sure, the wrenching I just completed was less demanding, the cars arrived prepped perfectly, we had one "late-night" session to sort out a mechanical issue, and the drivers/friends were awesome folks! Both cars ran the whole two weekends without major faults. Two weeks of great fun with super people. A wonderful experience.

Thanks all for sharing; it is interesting to see the different perspectives in the racing community about what things cost.

Best, Tom
    Tom Owen

Liked: 0

Hey I thought I would pitch in !

We pay 175$ per day for our crew/mechanics in GT3 Cup. Since the races are pretty far from our shop, the crew gets paid the moment they leave the shop to the moment they arrive back . We travel in the team's motorhome. All expenses are paid for, and we eat REALLY well, no hot dogs and burgers here !

So for example, we go testing in Sebring: we leave Montreal on tuesday and arrive in Sebring thursday at noon. We do odd jobs on the car Friday-Saturday-Sunday, test on Monday-Tuesday, pack up and leave Wednesday to arrive back in Montreal Friday. 11 days total.

The crew gets paid 11 days (1925$) regardless of the fact there was 6 days of traveling out of 11 days. So If you flew them in you'd split the 1925$/5days=385$/day

Hope that helps !

Thread Information