Thread: Robin Williams

Liked: 1880

Default Robin Williams

Not a racer, but still.... Holy Crap.

May you finally be rid of whatever demons haunted you, Mork.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Sad News, indeed.... a fine line between genius & madness. It appears he crossed it. Godspeed Robin. You brought many smiles to many faces.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 102

Unfortunately, he discovered that money and fame are not the source of true happiness and contentment.

Liked: 27

Amen to that !
    God is my pilot, I'm just the loose nut behind the wheel !

Liked: 0

This is the first "celebrity death," though I think we can all agree that this more like a death of loved one, that has really hit me. He is so gifted. I remember what he said in the Aristocrats, I believe, that great comedians are usually burdened with great sorrow, and that it often helps them express on film what they truly lack in their hearts. Mannnnnnnnn

Liked: 6

Arichase, well said

Liked: 1432

Let's take this as best we can, and try to find something to take from it. Be kind to one another, you never know who might seem fine, but is fighting some deamons we will never see. Truly sad, and even sadder that this happens thousands of times a day and we never hear about it. If someone is looks down, pick them up, you never know the impact you can have on them.

Liked: 80

Default stunning, but i guess not surprising...

my professional training was in clinical psychology. did everything but a dissertation for a ph.d.

my internship was with the v.a. drug counselor. the nurse on our ward was one of the nurses that ken kesey used in the composite that was "big nurse" in "one flew over the cuckoo's nest".

for a lot of different reasons, i decided that being a clinician was not for me. too many people who were far too impressed with their certitude that they could explain human behavior.

when r. pare mentioned demons, i knew it had to be suicide.

i read the usa today story.

sent an email to my munchkin. she's a marin sheriff deputy.

it will be interesting to hear what she has to say. probably the same kind of reaction as her dad.

this is what my munchkin used to look like......before she grew up and had to start dealing with "real life". i liked it better when she didn't have to deal with this kind of real life.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46681980@N03/14130956187

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46681980@N03/14317526265
    Last edited by marc sproule; 08.12.14 at 2:36 PM.

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    Let's take this as best we can, and try to find something to take from it. Be kind to one another, you never know who might seem fine, but is fighting some deamons we will never see. Truly sad, and even sadder that this happens thousands of times a day and we never hear about it. If someone is looks down, pick them up, you never know the impact you can have on them.
    Well said. I agree. I had a long struggle with depression myself and it is always nice when someone makes you smile or takes time for you.

Default When you have an hour....

Last edited by R. Pare; 08.12.14 at 5:31 PM.

Liked: 106

Default Godspeed

Don't know who said it but.... "my childhood just got punched in the stomach" ...felt appropriate

Liked: 1417

Depression is a werewolf that wants to lock you in a room and kill you.

Default Not a good day.....

Just read the we also lost Lauren Bacall today - to old age, thankfully.

Liked: 80

not surprisingly charlie rose did a robin williams retrospective this evening. hilarious and extremely poignant too. vignettes from past shows together.

i've never seen charlie laugh so hard.

one of the most poignant moments was when they were discussing one of robin's returns from rehab. robin was saying how glad he was to still be alive.

my daughter..see above..said she listened to the press conference in her office, just behind the wall where the podium was.

Liked: 307

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    Depression is a werewolf that wants to lock you in a room and kill you.
    Couple that with knowledge that you have a wasting disease -

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/ce...184324914.html

Well, IF you believe in reincarnation (life's recycling center) Robin will be back

Life & Movies are a lot alike. Hang on until the last credits role. There just may be a surprise happy ending !

Liked: 123

The news that he had Parkinson's brings it into perspective for me. Parkinson's is caused by Lewy bodies in the brain which impair neurotransmitter function. It can present as a mostly physical impairment but also can be significantly dementia related and be either Parkinson's Disease Dementia or Lewy Body Disease. I became somewhat of a layman's expert as my father had what was probably, in hindsight, Parkinson's Disease Dementia for 7 years. The only way to get a positive diagnosis is a post-mortem, so naming the ailment definitively is impossible while the patient lives. My father suffered greatly for the last three years of his life, was unable to walk, turn over in bed, hold or read a book, even watch television. There is no question in my mind that if I develop the same disease I will, at an appropriate time and place, end my life under my terms.

Parkinson's is seen as a simple trembling, a physical ailment and not really a mental disease, but a degree of mental impairment is present in around a third of cases, and more so when the disease begins at a more advanced age. The early symptom is a simple slowing of the thought process, and for a genius of imagination like Robin Williams the knowledge that he was almost sure to lose that, and to know that he was losing that and to watch that happen to himself, would have been a fate worse than death, in a very literal sense. Also, Parkinson's creates changes in brain chemistry that make moderate or severe depression a key symptom - and a very real problem.

Rest in peace, Robin, and say "Hey" to my Dad for me.

Brian
    Last edited by Brian; 08.15.14 at 8:00 PM.

Thx Brian ! You bring clarity to Robin's seemingly untimely death. I'm with you on ending this on my terms. I've watched too many friends & family live too long....

Hey Robin ! Thx for the memories

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    ...Parkinson's is seen as a simple trembling, a physical ailment and not really a mental disease, Brian
    My brother has Parkinson's and it's getting worse every year. No mental impairment yet that we can see. He still goes to work but is wondering how long that will last.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Robin's explanation of golf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnFbCCgTo4

21. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information