Liked: 91

Default Schools or "Experiences" for FE?

Are there any schools, or "driving experiences" in the US that use the FE? I'd like to try one on, and see how I do.

Thanks!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

Jason Hohmann, the SFR region CSR, has one for rent. It's not a school but Jason is very driver friendly and can certainly get you going. We have frequent test days at Sears Point.

Are these rentals always around an SCCA weekend?

Liked: 605

1. Someone, or more than one someone, is always ready to rent a racecar for an SCCA weekend, especially a driver's school. If you don't have quite a bit of knowledge about your ride such that you know it's reliable, renting a car for a driver's school is not that bad of an idea - the owner will concentrate on having the car track worthy and ready to go for you - while you concentrate on the rest of what it will take to learn and finish the school.

2. Your profile is pretty slim - unless you've got a lot of prior experience, a FE car is a lot of car for a beginner - but speed will come

4 day road racing school, and 2 years of doing track days in my Ariel Atom. :-)

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRizzo View Post
    4 day road racing school, and 2 years of doing track days in my Ariel Atom. :-)
    And how many stained shorts

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    And how many stained shorts
    None. Only spun once. I tend to work UP to the limit, instead of throwing the car around, and seeing where it spins, and then backing it down.

https://www.youtube.com/user/frankrizzo890/videos

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

I concur with your method. Must be age...
    My son on the other hand spins and wonders why. I prefer not having to dig rocks out of the car.

Liked: 218

You're a bit geographically challenged for FE, but if you ever plan a trip to the Central US give me a call and we'll set up a test.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Liked: 4

To reiterate Jason from Bulldog motorsport offers a great service, I'm sure he will be able to accommodate you.

I jumped into an FE at the start of the year without any prior race car experience, wasn't really a problem. I was running my own car but Jason (as well as the other FE crews) were there giving me tons of helpful advice and parts support. SF Region has a great bunch of people running these cars, if only they all came out to play at race weekends!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRizzo View Post
    Are these rentals always around an SCCA weekend?
    Jason's aren't, since as I mentioned there are plenty of Sears Point test days on the calendar. Average of about 1/week. Of course the date preceding an SCCA weekend would probably be cheaper since he'd be going to the race anyway so you can share some of the cost, but if I were you I'd do a dedicated test day so you aren't having the racers cursing at you ...

FE is a big step up from an Atom.

If you're very tall, very short, very wide, etc, you might want to get fitted to the car beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by mousecatcher View Post
    If you're very tall, very short, very wide, etc, you might want to get fitted to the car beforehand.
    That's my OTHER concern. 6'3, 275. Built like a linebacker. Needless to say, I'm not thinking of F500.

Thread Information