Liked: 56

Default Thompson Speedway July11-13

Come join us for the "Back to the Future" NERRC & NYSRRC Regional Races held on
    Friday, July 11, 2014 — Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park in Thompson, CT. It the first time the SCCA will revisit Thompson since the 70's with an officially sanctioned event. We have 12 FV's entered at the time of my post and expect another 6-10 entries. Stop by our NEFV "VeeHive" to learn how to get started in the largest open wheel group in the northeast. If the racing is anything like Memorial Day in NH, it should be a fantastic event!

It's a good competitive field lining up for the first official SCCA race at Thompson Speedway on July 11-13. The FV field currently has 15 entries with a few more expected to join the fray (Colin-that means you). Please come join us for the weekend. It's expected to be a fantastic event!

164 total entries so far.

16 FV's entered and counting.

2nd highest class total for the weekend so far (next to SM).

There is still time to inaugural race. I hope to see you there!

Liked: 22

Gentlemen,

Following the SCCA soft opening weekend at Thompson, can anyone answer the following questions:-

How big is the paddock area and is it likely to be congested?

Is the paddock paved?

Is there going to be an FV corral?

Is the paddock on the inside or outside of the track? If on the inside, is accessible when the track is live?

Thanks,
    Guy.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 83

Guy, I'll try to answer some of your questions...
    Quote Originally Posted by G.B. View Post
    How big is the paddock area and is it likely to be congested?
    The Paddock is not that big and it is expected to be congested.
    Is the paddock paved?
    I don't think all of it is paved.
    Is there going to be an FV corral?
    Nothing has developed yet, but, hopefully, yes.
    Is the paddock on the inside or outside of the track? If on the inside, is accessible when the track is live?
    The paddock is on the inside, and there is a bridge over the track so it's accessible when live.
    John

Liked: 0

Most likely they will open the oval infield to use as paddock space also. This can be a great area as you can find spots that put you on grass for your rest area and a paved area for the car.
    I believe all the area intended as paddock space in fact is paved.
    The bridge to the infield is a one lane with traffic lights on either end. My advice is to ignore the red light and at least crest the bridge and see if anyone is coming the other way. Other wise it will take 10 times as long.
    I will be there watching, even though SCCA is a "non spectator" event ... . Have fun everyone!

Liked: 20

Well we are up to 19 FVs and we were looking like a all FV group until today with 1 F500
    Mark Filip

Liked: 22

Thank you for the information.

Why do they insist in putting the lone F500 in with Vees? Would he be better suited with FF (Group 6), after all their lap times should be similar?

Guy.

I think we should petition for a split start or at least have Richard start 10 sec. early prior to the green flag. We all just have to behave on the start....

Contributing Member captaineddie1975's Avatar
    Liked: 19

You may want to go for the split start route as you may wind up with 3 F5s. Ryan Soucy who attended the "soft opening" in my old Red Devil plans to enter and there may be an entry from Ed Forer and possibly even Mike Brent. As Pit Lane Chief I will look forward to seeing all of you in Pit Lane.

Liked: 20

The problem is not a F500 on track it's only a problem with that car is racing with a 60hp FV all race rocketing by us on straights and stopping in the corners, or desides to dive in on the FV leaders and brake a 5 car pack that is racing for the win. A F500 in therapy should have no problems staying out front of FVs and should have a easy time picking and choosing when to pass so not to ruin a race with 19 cars.... It's happened many times.
    Mark Filip

Thanks Captain Eddie
    That is very good information. We've always had very successful split starts at NHMS (even without a pace car) and I see no reason why it won't work at Thompson. I'll see you in the pits!

Liked: 174

Mark,

Are you guys going to the Watkins Glen Dbl. Regional in September and what is the schedule for the remainder of the year?

Mark

88' Citation 002'

Anyone have the schedule? Link? Thanks.

Greg
    See if this link works....

http://www.ner.org/sites/ner.org/fil...w-sanction.pdf

Mark

I'm not planning on attending the double in Sept. but plan on the July Sprints in a little over a week. You may see a few from NE but not too many typically head to the Glen in Sept.

Nick

Thanks!

Congrats To Mark on first first and second win! You drove flawlessly all weekend. I guess that left front suspension adjustment we made on Sat at turn one really worked!

It was a great weekend. You would think that Guy would get the award for the farthest traveler, but then there is Colin, all the way from China! It is always great driving with everyone throughout the pack. The track raced well for an under powered open wheel car with more passing zones than anticipated. It was a really strong field by talent and numbers and everyone did a fantastic job to keep the whole weekend full course caution free. Well done to everyone.

I look forward to seeing everyone again.

Nick

Thread Information