Liked: 32

Default Reynard 88SF Fuel Cell Question

Anybody familiar with and able to identify the manufacturer of this fuel cell bladder in a Reynard 88SF? It's 6.5 gallons in capacity. Cannot find any markings and looking to repair or replace. Appreciate any ideas.
    Thanks!
    Bob
    Last edited by tapandrack; 02.14.16 at 8:51 PM.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

original? Probably Premier.

Send to ATS in Santa Fe Springs CA. They test, repair, and re-certify neoprene bladders

Thanks Rick, I'll call them Monday and see what it might cost compared to a new cell. I really appreciate the help. This forum is the best.
    Bob

Liked: 2

I owned a 88 Reynard FC several years ago and had a new tank built by Eagle. Not sure of the contact info but think they are in Wisconsin.

Quick service and a reasonable price.

Thanks Dennis, I'll try them too.

Liked: 103

Default bladder

I just acquired an 84Reynard FC. My fuel bladder looks similar but the inlet is on the opposite corner. Mine is marked FIA FT-3 certified etc. So I can assume yours is not original if it has no markings.

Mine is also fully enclosed in an aluminum cover the same shape as the bladder. I am surprised yours is not enclosed.

Follow Rick's lead and send yours off to be recertified. He's been doing FC a lot longer than me and is a great source of leads for stuff like this.

You can also try Harmon Racing in Corona, CA...but they will only make you a new cel off the old one. You mail them the old one and the replicate it for around $550. I tried to get them to repair my 1980 Lola T540E FF cel and they would not do it because of possible delamination. They want to make a new one due to the liability issue or trying to repair the old one.

Harmon Racing 2891 Sampson Ave. Corona, CA 92879 P: (951) 737-7220 F: (951) 737-7266 Email: jim@harmonracingcells.com

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

I am sure that the cover that completed the container was removed for clarity.

Aluminum or steel enclosures for fuel cells have been a SCCA requirement for 20+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    I am sure that the cover that completed the container was removed for clarity.

Aluminum or steel enclosures for fuel cells have been a SCCA requirement for 20+ years.
    Not everyone runs SCCA...

Liked: 3787

Even if I was doing track days with the redneck racing club I would want to contain the fuel cell in metal.
    I always designed my cell containers so that if there was a leak, it would leak out the bottom and away from the driver's compartment. Anything to give me a few more seconds to get out and get some hot dogs.
    But, I'm scared of fire... so... as always YMMV.

with the way these cars change hands, you never know if a previous owner was 6' 6" and 300 lbs who stripped everything out of the cockpit so he could fit....including the seat and fuel cel box with the thought that he could use the fuel cell as his seat cushion...and while he only ran the car on track days when there is no tech inspection....

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Even if I was doing track days with the redneck racing club I would want to contain the fuel cell in metal.
    The other advantage to the enclosure is, when you don't open it up for the next 15 to 20 years the enclosure will keep all that seeping fuel and slimy dirt contained.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Hey Guys,

Yeah the old cell had an aluminum enclosure on 3 sides and a removable cover on front. I just removed the front cover for the photo.

However, once I got the old cell out and removed the enclosure, I found the old aluminum enclosure did not meet SCCA GCR requirements of 0.59" for minimum aluminum thickness. So next I need to fabricate a new enclosure per GCR specs and reinstall the new cell.

The old cell was junk so I had another one made. I checked out several manufacturers and ended up using Eagle Manufacturing Custom shop. Thanks Denis for the suggestion.

Working with EMC Owner Jim Baxter I got a new custom cell made in a week and a half for $800.00. I just need to install the access panel closure plate. These guys were so reliable, easy and honest to work with. I really recommend them very highly.

When the old cell was out I did have a chance to clean out years of sludge from the pan located under the fuel cell enclosure. Before and after shots are below. So glad that was done.

Thanks again all for the advice, it was very helpful!
    Last edited by tapandrack; 03.02.16 at 1:26 PM.

13. The following 3 users liked this post:

Thread Information