Liked: 5

Default Problems downshifting with Flatshifter Max

I seem to be having a problem down shifting with my Flatshifter Max system. Up shifting is pretty flawless, only a miss shift here and there but lately down shifting passed 4th gear has become quite an issue. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try to fix this? Can/does that solenoid get weak over time? The system came on the car when we bought it used 3 years ago. It worked fine the first year, had only a few issues with it last year, but this year no such luck. We did install a new motor over the winter and I made sure to install the shift lever in the correct location. I do not have the funds or time to switch over to another system so that is not an option. Thanks for any help you can give.

Liked: 273

I would recommend contacting Richard at Rilltech, he imported most of these systems from the UK and he might have some idea as to what might be wrong with it.

My personal observation is that the solenoid actuated shift systems tend to be problematic. They are dramatically affected by heat.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 896

check for vacuum leaks in anything and everything. Also check to see if the downshift blipper is opening the throttle.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Thanks Jay

I did inspect the vacuum lines and the auto bliper. No problems found with either of them. I call Richard and he did say to that adding a vent or can to the solenoid should help.

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by openwheeler37 View Post
    Thanks Jay

I did inspect the vacuum lines and the auto bliper. No problems found with either of them. I call Richard and he did say to that adding a vent or can to the solenoid should help.
    Email Flatshifter themselves in the uk and they will do everything they can to help you.

I did email them also. Just waiting to hear back.

Liked: 2

This may sound strange, but here goes:
    If the drive chain is too loose, it can create issues. A loose chain causes the gearbox to be in a sort of "limbo" state longer than a tight chain. I have had issues with this with the FB I built and with both type of shifter kart systems (cable and direct linkage).

Liked: 9

Default Downshift

I've found that if the engine idle speed setting (throttle stop adjustment) is too low then blipping is sometimes insufficient to effect a downshift. If this seems a possibility, then up your idle speed and see what happens. I'm using around 2000rpm.

Good luck.

Liked: 0

Default Downshift

For a tip sheets on common installation and set up problems with any of the Flatshifter kits or lost installation manuals etc just email us and we will reply to you as soon as possible.
    Regards
    Graham www.flatshifter.com

Liked: 17

I had the same issue found that the blipped shaft had a slight blind you need to confirm that manually

Thread Information