Thread: June Sprints

Liked: 0

Hi all,

For those interested, here's the top-10 from morning practice at the sprints.

J. LaRue 2:23.574
    J. Pritchard 2:23.624
    J. Byers 2:23.860
    D. Hopple 2:25.742
    J. Roberts 2:26.454
    T. Reinsel 2:27.658
    M. Kolthoff 2:27.963
    J. Ott 2:28.346
    J. Copple 2:29.651
    R. Valine 2:29.762

Cheers,

Al.
    Allan Craighead
    eFormulaCarNews.com Managing Editor
    (226) 808-9472 Cell
    acraighead@howdenmediagroup.com

Top-10 from afternoon practice session

J. Byers 2:24.534
    J. LaRue 2:24.694
    J. Pritchard 2:26.173
    M. Kolthoff 2:26.571
    T. Reinsel 2:26.578
    J. Roberts 2:26.787
    R. Valine 2:27.329
    D. Hopple 2:27.559
    J. Vlasis 2:28.629
    J. Ott 2:29.226
    Allan Craighead
    (226) 808-9472 Cell

Turns out it was a qualifying session, not a second practice.

Cheers,

Al.
    Allan Craighead
    (226) 808-9472 Cell

Top-10 following final qualifying.

J. Byers 2:23.863
    J. LaRue 2:24.344
    J. Pritchard 2:24.546
    M. Kolthoff 2:26.571
    T. Reinsel 2:26.578
    J. Roberts 2:27.787
    R. Valine 2:27.329
    D. Hopple 2:27.458
    J. Vlasis 2:28.629
    J. Ott 2:29.226

Cheers,

Al.
    Allan Craighead
    (226) 808-9472 Cell

Hi Everybody,

Well it was a hell of a race. Byers had the pole, but on the opening lap fell back to ninth. This allowed Pritchard to take the lead, followed closely by LaRue. In the opening laps Pritchard and LaRue ran nose-to-tail, with several other great battles going on. By the midway point of the race Byers had caught the lead duo. For the next few laps Pritchard, LaRue and Byers battled for the lead, going three-abreast several times. Running alone in fourth was Reinsel. Late in the race the leaders went three-wide into turn one, with Pritchard ending up in the gravel trap. After leading briefly, Byers fell back giving LRue the win by a comfortable margin. Completing the top-five was Reinsel, Kolthoff and Roberts.

Provisional top-10

LaRue
    Byers
    Reinsel
    Kolthoff
    Roberts
    Hopple
    Valine
    Ott
    Velden
    Luxon

Cheers,

Al.
    Allan Craighead
    (226) 808-9472 Cell

This race was one of the very best I have ever seen at the Sprints, and that goes back to the late 70's. Too bad the car count was so low and the last lap couldn't be like the 12 before it.

Liked: 77

I noticed that in the FA race, Jason Byres was faster that the Pro drivers dipping into the sprints.

I always enjoy seeing things like that.

Hi all,

Definitely was a great race. Watching them come down to five three-wide several times was awesome.

As for Byers, not super surprising he was quickest of the three Zetecs, he's a very good driver.

For any of you drivers who raced, I have photos for sale. I had hoped to come around with them on a cd, but got tied up. If your interested, send me an email and will arrange something cheap.

Cheers,

Al.
    Allan Craighead
    (226) 808-9472 Cell

Well, I have to say that even though I get bonehead move of the year, it was one hell of a race! Jason must have started off in fourth gear or something as he forgot to go and I got a great start to lead into one. Got a bit of a gap for about a lap and then Larue and I had a great time swapping positions, most times two or three times a lap. My car sucked as the leader as I needed to slow early and gently roll into the corners, can't do that when they are trying to outbrake me. Larue was much quicker in 14, Canada and 3, I was quicker in the carousel and kink. Jason must have been pissed because he set some really fast times to catch us and for a while we were swapping positions constantly. Sitting in one corner you were only getting a small picture. It was wild! We all gave each other enough room and were three wide quite a bit. Two wide gives the third place guy a huge vacuum! I got screwed the worst when we came on a pack of F440's in the carousel and lost a lot of time, but I put my head down, yelled alot on the radio and set about catching back up. Thinking it may be the last lap I tried going around the outside to make it three wide into Canada corner and simply out braked myself into the gravel. Jason tried to do the same thing the next lap, except on the inside, and (I only saw the end) and almost met me in the gravel. Congats to John for winning and to Jason for a fun race, I would rather end in the gravel after a race like this than drive around to a win like the second Blackhawk any day.

Thanks to all that helped me: Gib, Tommy, Hoosier, Amy, Lukie, Louie, Curtis and,of course,(sorry about the paint) Don.

I usually don't post much but this is a exception. Congrates to LaRue, Byers,Reinsel with a word of "hats off" to Pritchard for going for it. Thats not the reason for my post. I finished 4th [no appause] but the racing that I along with Roberts,Hopple,Valine etc were doing was so much fun and professional that it begs to be examined. Passing with no blocking, faints etc, sometimes 3 and 4 times a lap. No we did not have the speed to challenge the top 2 but wow this was sure fun running back and forth with guys you trust [their engine builders excluded, not for their engines but their williness to serve you cocktails at Seibikens] No staying inline would have caught the front so we decided to make a race among ourselves. What a race it was... With this being said I encourage us [all racers] to relay to the Chicago region "enough" no more bs with the paddock, late date for race entry on a Sunday [give me a break] This race is expensive enough,hotel rooms, schedule, etc that I think we need to stop and wonder why we need fast broadband web access and have TWO printed entry packets, one mailed, one given to you at registration and the two schedules did not match. Printing costs a lot of money, why dupicate all of the BS just give us the facts. It is the GREATEST race just don't give us the GREATEST number of reasons not to run it. It happened this year. Fix it. I want to come back.
    On a positive note the drivers's meeting was short and to the point..Terry spoke to us as adults without the usual "I am in charge, here" attitude....We must have listened the start was a poster for how SCCA wants us to behave. What a race! MK

Thread Information