Liked: 4

Default Best "practice" sim set up?

I'm looking for recommendations for the best sim configuration to keep in practice when not on the track.

I've raced karts for 14 years and in my 4th season of vintage Formula Ford.

What would you recommend to keep in practice between races?

I'm more interested in practicing driving track than "racing" on-line against others...besides crappy internet where we live.

Thanks!

Angus
    1969 Merlyn 11A

Liked: 67

I spend a LOT of time with vintage FF (and current FF) drivers using the Skip Barber school car in iRacing. So a simple, single screen setup would work fine. Main Computers in Atlanta is one of the first I would try, then Sim Seats in Richmond, VA. Then, buy a subscription to iRacing and have at it!
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

Liked: 830

Personally, I found iRacing quite cumbersome and very SPENDY for what I wanted.. sounds like you and I wanted the same thing.

I use rFactor and have been quite happy with it. I'm mostly 'stand alone', but occasionally get online with others from this forum. rFactor2 is out now, but I have not yet gone that route. rF1 has several small formula cars - including FF and FV, neither of which are yet available (at least last time I looked) for rF2.

The cost (beyond the sim setup) is minimal and there are NO additional fees for using it every day until you throw up .
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    Personally, I found iRacing quite cumbersome and very SPENDY for what I wanted.. sounds like you and I wanted the same thing.

I use rFactor and have been quite happy with it. I'm mostly 'stand alone', but occasionally get online with others from this forum. rFactor2 is out now, but I have not yet gone that route. rF1 has several small formula cars - including FF and FV, neither of which are yet available (at least last time I looked) for rF2.

The cost (beyond the sim setup) is minimal and there are NO additional fees for using it every day until you throw up .
    I second that. I use rFactor1 and there are sooo many cars and tracks... which all used to be no additional charge, but there might be a charge past some limit now?
    I just saved all the tracks to an external drive so I wouldn't lose the originals if something happened to the computer.

BUT I'm not that much of a "gamer" and really just use it to familiarize myself with new tracks.
    HendricksRacing Site:
    https://www.HendricksRacing.net

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

I also wanted a SIM for practice. iRacing has no small formula cars, and only one 4 speed manual car, and is expensive and cumbersome, as mentioned. rFactor is cheap, has a FF [Lola, with mods for gearing] and has good tracks, though not as good as iRacing's tracks. However, neither will do more than help you get familiar with a new track. The technology just isn't capable of real training at the level available to the home market. Maybe the $50,000 "home models" some places sell can do it, but nothing is available, IMHO, to the normal income home based racer. I built a true-to-scale mock up of my FF, got a good wheel, and rarely use it except on cold winter days.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Thread Information