Thread: spider breakage

Liked: 2

Default spider breakage

This weekend was running at BIR. During qualifying put out a HUGE cloud of smoke that was referred to by other racers as "spectacular". Got back to pits and found there was oil out the back of the engine and it looks like the majority is from the left side almost to the front of the engine. From a quick look I did not see a hole in the braided line from the cooler to the front of the engine. Is there a typical problem point the oil comes from? Also had the top two legs of the spider break about 3" up from the bolt in points. The breaks were relatively clean and across the tube with no buckling. Almost like it was cut. Thought it was an odd place to break. Is there a typical reason these break?

Was hoping to learn some more from the community so I can prevent (if possible) in the future.

Steve Flaten

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

Quote Originally Posted by sflaten View Post
    This weekend was running at BIR. During qualifying put out a HUGE cloud of smoke that was referred to by other racers as "spectacular". Got back to pits and found there was oil out the back of the engine and it looks like the majority is from the left side almost to the front of the engine. From a quick look I did not see a hole in the braided line from the cooler to the front of the engine. Is there a typical problem point the oil comes from? Also had the top two legs of the spider break about 3" up from the bolt in points. The breaks were relatively clean and across the tube with no buckling. Almost like it was cut. Thought it was an odd place to break. Is there a typical reason these break?

Was hoping to learn some more from the community so I can prevent (if possible) in the future.

Steve Flaten
    "Typical" as far as oil leaks go is from the engine oil pan area & various points on the gearbox (particularly the end case and the left side case). When you re-do the oil line make sure you put some sort anti-chafing material anywhere the lines touch each other or metal parts like the frame or bellhousing adapter.

Spider breakage is due to age and/or the bushings getting worn out. There's six polyurethane bushings with alumnum inserts: four where the spider bolts to the frame and two on the lower transmission mounts to the frame.
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

Thanks Sam,
    The oil leak is more than the trans. Know that one well. This really dumps oil at a high rate. The spider is only on the second season following replacement.

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

Quote Originally Posted by sflaten View Post
    Thanks Sam,
    The oil leak is more than the trans. Know that one well. This really dumps oil at a high rate. The spider is only on the second season following replacement.
    It's probably the line, I can't think of anything else that has oil pressure at the left front of the engine.
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

Thanks, that really helps. Wanted to get parts on order and I wont have time to start pulling it apart till this weekend.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

That truly was spectacular ! Glad to hear you've got it sorted. Hope to see you back in July !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Default Same smoke plume

from Darryl's car a few weeks ago at MSR Houston. It was a pinhole in one of the braided lines to the oil cooler where the two lines touched and the one wore through from several years abrasion.

And the spider on Russ's car broke at the race in NOLA... fatigue break.

regards,

Stuart

Thanks guys. I am also considering it may be a couple of the small lines on the oil pump on the bottom front of the engine. The spider may have broken first and fell down on these small lines. I remember that going into turn2 I was shifting into 4/5 and seemed that it was difficult getting the lever full to the right side. Possibly a sign that engine shifted. I just thought it was the "red mist" in pushing harder during qualifying. Will get back here once I know the solution.

Default Found the answer

Repaired the car and ran this last weekend. Had to take a break for some eye surgery. Found it was the L shaped AN fitting from the oil cooler going into the block. When the spider broke it touched the AN fitting to the frame diagonal and it was enough to loosen the coupling nut just enough to make it leak and spray right onto the muffler. It also damaged the throttle cable where it went through the seat back panel A small ding not even visible till it was pulled out. the ding seized the cable.

Thread Information