Liked: 29

Default Why aren't you racing?

This is to all the drivers who have cars parked in a garage, shed, backyard, anywhere.. that aren't racing them at the track. Why aren't you racing? Let us know what the reason is. I think we can all agree we want more cars on the track, lets find real ways to get those cars back on track.
    Reinventing the world, one wheel at a time.

Liked: 530

i'd imagine you'll find answers similar to this exact question asked in the FM forum.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62591

Liked: 123

Why did I stop racing? Well... I blew up both motors, one in each car. I had rebuilt the Ford engine and installed it when my Mother died. That led to me being responsible for my father, who had a dementia disease, so I was on deck every weekend for visits and support. So time marched on and I bought a retirement place in Nova Scotia. Time marched again and I was de-jobbed and found myself retired at 55 (living the dream). Another year or two and all is great, I have a couple of "customer" cars (really "friend" cars in my shop, and I'll be going racing again this year but as an arrive-and-drive purveyor, not driving one of my cars. It's 99 - 1 that either of my cars will ever turn a wheel in anger again. One I will probably part out, and the other I will probably restore as a museum piece, to the eventual horror of my executor...

Brian

Liked: 2

I stopped racing my car after coming up a lap and a half short of getting my license. Driver error I take full responsibility for, but still hard to justify the expense to do my novice permit all over again.

Started a frame up rebuild almost done with the rebuild but know I'm looking to turned into a CM Solo car give up on club racing.

Reasons for going Solo over Club Racing.
    1. Local Solo more cost effective on a limited budget.
    2. Lack of FV's in club racing in Midiv.
    3. Club racing entry fees are too high (hard to justify the entry fee when your the only FV on track)
    4. SCCA changes to club racing.
    5. Tires cost was never a factor in my limited club racing experience.
    Since I was still learning I purchased used tires from John Berget

Liked: 0

Would love to as I've just purchased a FV and yes it's sitting in my garage.

Need comp license and both local schools here on the left coast have came and gone a few months ago. ThunderHill and ButtonWillow to be specific.

I'm exploring other options however i'm staying plenty busy with sorting out things with the car for the time being. Wish the driving schools were a little more spaced apart but understand that it's most likely scheduled that way due to others wanting to gain their license at beginning of the race season.

Wishful thinking...

Liked: 605

Default soon...and.....twice the cars, twice the budget

Four years ago at Sebring I crushed a couple of vertebrae - because I didn't get in a tuck and had my leg still on the brake pedal - so I crushed my heel bone too - hit a non tire barrier protected guard rail which is in an area used for starts - duh! [are you listening ISC?] - going from about 60 to zero in the space of about 18 inches. The CF Crossle was toast and the FC was in dry dock at the same time needing a virtual frame up.

Blue Cross / Shield picked up most of the bill and then the SCCA insurance probably saved me about $25,000 which would have otherwise been my bill. The business took a hit of about $100,000 but I and the business survived........so it took a while to simply get back to even.

After that it was find out how I measure up. Thanks to Dr. Trammell and OrthoIndy I learned I could possibly race [not crash] again but only in an EPP seat. Then the task was to save money for the car's rebuilds and the $4,000 EPP seat......there goes another year plus. Then start buying parts mostly one at a time which turned out to be each time a step that took 2 - 3 - 4 months each time. The front bulkhead from Crossle was a unique piece made in England from scratch. The shocks are not an off the shelf item. BAT didn't have a new header for months and it took a while to get it coated once it arrived. The EPP seat was a near six month process. Then there's the time spent doing the tear down.....and other issues too.

The seat getting made was the key so then the effort could actually get to being car rebuilt and roll hoop reconstruction so as to add four inches to the main hoop. It must be done so as to not require rehomologation and also pass Tech but that was figured out with consult....then find a qualified welder.

The FC might be ready in a month, maybe make the August grid a Daytona. The Crossle might be ready some time later in the year and then it will be sold. In the mean time I'm going nuts just watching cars while flagging a corner from time to time....but at least once a year two days in a row getting to turn some "station wagon" laps being an Instructor at an SCCA Driver's School....and at the last Daytona race when I flagged the Bus Stop I also got to throw a fishing line into Lake Lloyd. How many out there have fished at Daytona? The fish was this >------------------------:> big!!!!

Thread Information