Liked: 3

Default VRG - 2015 Calendar

2015 VRG Calendar

(before making plans, please check the VRG website for any corrections, changes or updates)

http://www.vrgonline.org/

March 7: Pittsburgh Racers Dinner (Date is tentative) Event Chairman: Keith Lawrence, Tel: 724-941-5330 Email: keith@vrgonline.org

April 10-12: VDCA “Wild Hare Run,” Virginia International Raceway, Alton, Va Event Chairman: Mike Jackson, Tel: 561-622-7554 Email: vdca@vintagedrive.com

May 13-17: “Jefferson 500” at Summit Point Motorsports Park, Wv(May 16-18) with free Open Practice Day, Thursday, May 14 - VRG Drivers School (May 13-14) Featured Marque is Triumph, 14th Annual Triumph Kas Kastner Cup (Kas Kastner will be in attendance) IMSA RS/SCCA 2.5L Sedan Series Brian Redman - Grand Marshal Co-Event Chairmen: Cal Trumbo and Jim Karamanis, Tel: 304-449-7050 Email: j500@vrgonline.org

June 18-21: The Vintage Motorsports Festival at Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park - Thompson, Ct Co-Sanctioned with the VSCCA Event Chairmen: Paul King, Chairman, and Paul Bova, Co-Chairman, Tel: 508-847-4809 Email: paulking@vrgonline.org

July 10-12: PVGP Historic Races, PITT-RACE Wampum, Pa Featured Marque is Fiat * Enduro * Formula Ford Feature Race Opening Event on the Expanded Road Course to 4.1 Miles Event Chairman: Keith Lawrence, Tel: 724-941-5330 Email: keith@vrgonline.org

August TBA Possible Test Day at Whiskey Hill Raceway, Palmer, Ma, or Possible Test Day at Pocono Raceway, Long Pond, Pa

September. 18-20: New Jersey Historic Races, Lightning Circuit, New Jersey Motorsports Park, Millville, Nj * Featured Marque is Elva (60th Anniversary) * Mark Donohue Cup for Best Prepared and Raced Elva Courier Event Chairman: Butch O’Connor, Tel: 973-295-3674 Email: bfo@spsk.com

October. 9-11: Inaugural Vintage Event at Dominion Raceway, Thornburg, Va, New 2 Mile road course Event Chairmen: Cal Trumbo and Jim Karamanis, Tel: 304-449-7050 Email: dominion@vrgonline.org

November 27-29: Turkey Bowl XIX, Summit Point Motorsports Park, West Va Event Chairman: Michael Oritt, Tel: 305-793-9467 Email: michael@vrgonline.org

2. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 1

Default VRG 2015 Schedule and FF/CF

Thanks, Nial for this posting. Just sent yesterday is a condensation of this list of a 5 race FF/CF series that begins with the Wild Hare Run @ VIR, then on to the Jefferson 500, PVGP @ PIRC, adding Historics 33 @ Lime Rock Park on Labor Day Weekend, and concluding at the New Jersey Historics on Lightning @ NJMP. We had such a successful turnout for Chris Shoemaker's Royale Formula Ford Challenge in 2014, there was a suggestion to promote another series. We had 20-30 entries for the three races. Murray Smith will give the FF group their own race at LRP if he gets 20-25 entries. That piggyback's on his 33 Formula Jr. entry in 2014. Nick Grewal expects a larger FJr entry this year. We have a challeng for LRP Historics 33 - the loser buys the beer. We continue to have CF drivers from SCCA join us, becoming members of VRG, as the fields of CF in SCCA in the Northeast have not been up to the vintage fields. There are no points or trophies. There is good racing and lots of track time.

Anyone reading this, who may join us, needs to look at Monoposto Racing Rules for Club Ford. You will get a season from your treaded tires, now made by Avon instead of Dunlop. You will be given a one year by on your canisters attached to your shocks. All I have spoken to have not thought their removal made any difference. Same for the aluminum head - a one year by. It makes a difference. The Avons from Sasco are mandated.

Liked: 9

Default Tires ??

I switched to CF recently to be able to continue racing with a bit of cost effectiveness. Did the Jefferson 500 with VRG last year. First event with VRG, first time back to Summit Point in 40 years +, and first time ever on treaded tires (Dunlops). Great event. Great fun!

Have been planning on doing the Wild Hare at VIR and the Jeff 500 again this year. However, after reading your post I'm curious about mandating Avons. A by for shocks. A by for Aluminum heads. No by for Dunlops at least for a year as with the other bys? Really? If so, I hope that you folks may reconsider.
    Cheers,
    Chris

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Old Dunlops Welcome

Chris, The mandate on Avons was only in response to lack of availability of the Dunlops. We hear rumors but no one really knows...You can run the Dunlops !
    Thanks, Dave

Contributing Member

Default VRG 2015 Schedule

Chris ,
    Dave alerted me this morning of your concern. Dunlops are fine and no longer available new. Avons are available from Sasco. The by on the canisters and aluminum head is a VRG courtesy - good for a year. We expect all entries to adhere to Monoposto Rules. Check them online if you have questions. The Club Fords from SCCA that run with us have made the changes on their cars to conform to Monoposto Rules. All FF entries will be tech'd by a Monoposto representative. If your car does meet Monoposto spec it will be noted in your log book. We had over 30 entries last year at J500. We should get more this year. VIR should get a very good entry. We look forward to seeing you.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 9

Default Dunlops

Whew! Great news on the Dunlops. I have no problem switching to anything that becomes more readily available. My only issue was being able to do a bit more damage to the Dunlops I already have before they're totally destroyed.

Everything else on my car is Monoposto compliant. Looking forward to another trip to the Jeff 500. Running with 30 + cars last year was the most fun racing I'd experienced in too many years. Great people, competitors, and cars. More entries this coming year?! Oh, boy!

Thanks to all for responding so quickly to my inquiry.
    Chris

Contributing Member Mark Walthew's Avatar
    Liked: 34

Do SCCA licensed drivers need to obtain a license from your group?

Mark, Check out our site for more info...

http://www.vrgonline.org/rules/#driver_eligibility

Contributing Member

Default VRG 2015 Season

Mark, your SCCA license is valid as long as your medical is up to date. If you have not raced with us you will be required to take the Driver Orientation (DOP), as the mind set and attitude is less aggressive. You are not even racing for beers. While it is racing, you are meant to be aware of everyone's safety. VRG's role is to get you and your car home safely on Sunday.

Thread Information