Liked: 84

Default Live streaming to the Pits

I've been reading about a few different data systems that can stream live data to the pits. I think that is pretty neat. I called AIM to see if they have any such system or add on's that would do that and they told me that they don't have one because it's illegal in the a lot of sanctioning bodies and in particular SCCA. I've never heard of that and can't find it in the GCR.
    Does anyone know if that is correct? seems like a weird rule.
    "If you're not driving on the edge you're taking up too much space.... "

Liked: 218

I did read where it is illegal in SCCA but I'm not sure where. Probably an older GCR.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

what is the reason it would be illegal?

Liked: 530

I think it may have more to do with trying to keep the playing field more level for those who do not have the budget for engineers. Such support, with access to live data, could instruct the driver to make certain changes during the race whereas all other drivers must do these computations in their head with feedback only from onboard displays or their derriere.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

JP, I believe you are referring to "on board telemetry"?

Yes Glen that's what I be talkin' bout

Don't see any on track advantage to having send engine vitals etc to the pits

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
    Yes Glen that's what I be talkin' bout

Don't see any on track advantage to having send engine vitals etc to the pits
    Advantage is that what is sent one way may be sent another. It's a cost control thing. Those with money and with the use of Telemetry can receive information on exactly what the car is doing and then make instant changes to the cars performance from the pits while it's racing.
    That means actually controlling every aspect of the car from the pits. Ohhh, that's right, .. that called Formula 1.

Quote Originally Posted by greg V View Post
    Advantage is that what is sent one way may be sent another. It's a cost control thing. Those with money and with the use of Telemetry can receive information on exactly what the car is doing and then make instant changes to the cars performance from the pits while it's racing.
    That means actually controlling every aspect of the car from the pits. Ohhh, that's right, .. that called Formula 1.
    I'm not talking about that at all. I have no idea where to even begin to find a system that advanced. I'm talking about basic data systems that stream real time data to an iPad one way. Temps, pressures, lap times, AFR, G's etc

Contributing Member
    Liked: 5

I believe that Formula 1 is one way. While the data can and does stream from car to pits. It is not allowed to stream pits to car and make changes dynamically.
    But, that doesnt stop the engineers from passing instructions to the driver via radio. There are a lot of controls on the F1 steering wheels.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 79

Realtime telemetry.
    http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapturePro
    Costs less than you would think too.

Quote Originally Posted by ajpastore View Post
    Realtime telemetry.
    http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapturePro
    Costs less than you would think too.
    That's the system I'm talking about. It's only a couple of hundred dollars. Doesn't seem like a cost would be the issue
    Last edited by JohnPaul; 05.13.14 at 7:59 PM.

Thread Information