Thread: SCCA 2015 gcr

Liked: 51

Default SCCA 2015 gcr

Some interesting reading

Liked: 15

2015? All that I can find is 2014. What area in particular?
    Kapelke Tuned

RF93 Van Diemen FF1600

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...%20Minutes.pdf

I believe it is page 3, 4 & 5 that we're be referred to by Desmond.
    Steve Bamford

Liked: 200

There you have it Kevin, start building your dream car.
    Shane Viccary
    #27 Citation-Zink Z-16

Quote Originally Posted by AVR_Shane View Post
    There you have it Kevin, start building your dream car.
    I guess Christmas came early this year!
    Kapelke Tuned

RF93 Van Diemen FF1600

Quote Originally Posted by blackhole View Post
    I guess Christmas came early this year!
    I wouldn't think so for running at CTMP/Mosport it won't be Christmas. Adding the extra 25 lbs if you are already at or near the weight limit will be an issue in my opinion. Think about the breaking points at Mosport in a F1200, other then maybe 5 I don't see that you are using them enough to get any advantage & carrying around the extra weight & rotating weight will sure cost lap time.
    Last edited by Steve Bamford; 05.13.14 at 8:31 AM.
    Steve Bamford

Liked: 18

Damn...change comes slow to fvee.

I was trying to understand the changes as they effect steering.
    Can we go with a rack like FST or do we still have to use the old steering box.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4358

CASC writes their rules based on the SCCA rules from the previous season, so you will have another year (if SCCA ever passes the changes) to figure it out.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 22

This is probably the biggest single rule change in the history of FV in North America. If the FTDA is made aware of the wording of the rule change early enough, it probably could be forced through for 2015.

However, Greg is right, it usual to CASC’s F1200 rules to lag a year behind SCCA and with a certain amount of uncertainty over the wording; it would probably be wise to wait a year.

But then again, what would happen next year if a US legal car (equipped with disc brakes and ball-joint beam) arrived at Mosport, would F1200 turn them away?
    Also, the FTDA needs to consider the rims. I doubt there is 14”x6” rim on the market for a 4-bolt x 130mm pitch circle diameter. So rims may have to be specially manufactured.

As I understand it the Steering Box will remain.

Here is the Front Ball Joint Brake Conversion Kit.

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.as...CC-C10-4121-BO

Here is the Back Brake Kit.

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.as...CC-C10-4125-KT

With these kits we would have to change our wheels.

or this if we want to keep our wheels...

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.as...de=C13-22-2895

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.as...de=C13-22-2905

Dont know if the rules would allow for this? Plus these I would imagine would be very heavy.
    Last edited by blackhole; 05.14.14 at 11:52 PM.
    Kapelke Tuned

RF93 Van Diemen FF1600

Liked: 22

Quote Originally Posted by blackhole View Post
    Here is the Front Ball Joint Brake Conversion Kit.

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.as...CC-C10-4121-BO

Here is the Back Brake Kit.

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.as...CC-C10-4125-KT

With these kits we would have to change our wheels.

or this if we want to keep our wheels...

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.as...de=C13-22-2895

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.as...de=C13-22-2905

Dont know if the rules would allow for this? Plus these I would imagine would be very heavy.

The last two disc brake kits are the type the FV Ad-hoc committee did not want to use as they do not know if they are good enough quality to withstand the rigors of racing.

I will try and explain their reasoning as it was explained to me. Historically FV has resisted change as nothing drives people way from a formula faster than constant rule changes, FV1600 (Formula F1rst) in Ontario is an example of this. As FV has lasted 50 years, way longer than anyone originally expected, I would say this policy has worked. So naturally the FV Ad-Hoc committee has resisted calls for change regarding disc brakes and ball-joint beam. However their position changed recently when Carbotech brake shoes became scare and the alternatives cost over $120 per axle.

Now it started to make economic sense to convert to disc brakes, once you’ve paid the conversion cost, replacement pads would cost a fraction of the shoes.

Initially, they considered the 5-bolt disc brake conversion for the link-pin beam, but no one knows if this aftermarket kit is safe to race on and the Ad-Hoc committee were wary about recommending it.

Meanwhile there were also calls to allow the ball-joint beam. Now the disc brake set up for the Ball-Joint beam has been extensively tested, by FST as well as in FV other countries and is known to work. Thus allowing the Ball-Joint beam, disc brakes and the 4-bolt VW rim package seems obvious way to go for SCCA.

In short the choices are:
    Link-Pin Beam, 5-bolt rim, Drum brakes.
    Or
    Ball-Joint Beam, 4-bolt rim, Disc or Drum Brakes.

So what happens in F1200? It has been policy to keep the F1200 cars in line with SCCA (with the exception of rims and tires and more recently the inlet manifold). It allows cars to be bought and sold across the border and means cars can race in both countries with relatively little change. But F1200 doesn’t have to follow SCCA’s lead.

Whilst adopting the conversion kits identified by Kevin is a possible solution, this is the very style of rotor rejected by the Ad-Hoc Committee and would mean adding one more difference between the Canadian and US cars.

And finally as Steve Bamford points out, with the relatively small amount of braking required at Mosport, it is doubtfully that if there is any performance advantage it would outweigh the weight disadvantage. In fact the biggest gain maybe the ability to get more camber into the front radials.

If the conversion kit was rejected by the SCCA due to possible safety solutions I wouldn't think the F1200/CASC would even consider it.

Keep in mind that there is a set rim & tire package so something would need to be adapted for that as well.

But really who is going to spend the $'s to convert as some numbers I have heard are 3-5 k to do so....besides the weight disadvantage will likely be a bigger issue then anything else.

Personally I don't see the advantage for F1200 to adopt this change.
    Steve Bamford

Thread Information