Liked: 72

Default New go kart track in Georgia... First impressions not good

Today my team mate and I went to a go kart track (which will be left unnamed but is located in Covington GA and is visible from interstate right next to sunbelt rentals) for the grand opening and left highly disappointed. Let me start out by saying that I have never complained about a go kart track in my life. As a matter of fact I have always done my best to help them out in any way I can.

Some people reading this have been to functions I have put together in the past when it comes to karting (endurance mainly but sometimes just 50-100 people getting together for a good time). So, getting back to it I was excited to finally have a full fledged go kart track within a reasonable driving distance from my house!

Upon arrival we took notice to the karts and was immediately pumped up. We got our arm band, listened to instruction and suited up. After a brief conversation with the management to congratulate them on their grand opening we jumped on the karts and were ready to go out!

I immediately was having a blast! Karts were ok equal, track was strange but ok, but better yet i'm racing my teammate AND WINNING We were having a good time to say the least. When we were done with our session we went in to cool off and bench race a bit. After a brief break we were ready to hit the track again. When jumping in the kart we noticed that the owner was out there giving a hand. This is something I admire about a business owner.

We went out onto the track and on the first lap we noticed the owner shaking and pointing a black flag at us!!!!?????? OOOOOOOOOOOOK, normally this isn't a unusual thing. Today we were baffled to see it as these karts were fast enough to race with unlike the usual kart tracks not being fast enough to race with but usually is only good for bumper karts. Keep in mind we had went a session before this with no issues and here we are on the first lap receiving a black flag with no difference in driving. We were racing as clean as it gets and was looking at each other wondering WTF? I was thinking maybe he got us confused with someone else.

So, we kept going still shaking our heads but didn't think much of it. Two laps later the owner is waiving, shaking, and pointing the black flag at us yet again but this time yelling for us to get the F$$$ off of the track! OOOOOk????, I went into the pits and asked why we were being thrown out. The owner started yelling, turned red faced, and to say he was acting unprofessional would only be a compliment . For the first time ever, I was being thrown out of a go kart track and didn't have the first clue as to why. After waiting for him to take a breath so we could ask again, he said " you were 2ft over the white line, driving up on people way too fast, and was constantly looking over your shoulder to see where your buddy was". Then points at my teammate and said "And you were pushing him down the straights, do you think this is a race track or something?

This isn't a race track!!!!! We were thrown off a bit by that statement by having to wear a helmet and safety gear that was located on shelves that said "racing gear." At this point I was kinda speechless. Let me describe the track layout so you can have a idea of what the track looks like. The track is a huge open parking lot with a "track" defined with white lines and about 5 cones and in between the white lines and the 5 cones there's new asphalt sealant that gives a look of a track. 20-30ft off of the white lines is nascar tires laying on their sides acting as a barrier. It was kinda strange at first but I competed in solo events for so long it didn't bother me.

After digesting what was just said to us and looking for the "you just got pranked" cameras with no luck locating them, I realized this guy was serious. My teammate asked what the first black flag was for. The owner said "I cant remember but it was something bad." At this point we started leaving. Its one of those things that you're not going to be able to even reason with. When we went inside to put our gear back on the shelf the owner followed us in and said "You had better not say a word to any of the customers on your way out either or I will ban you from the track."

Considering we were leaving without a fight, I considered that uncalled for. I wish I had this on the go-pro but I don't. If I would've had it on the go-pro I can promise that this guy wouldn't have had too much business by the people that viewed it. All I can do at this point is make people aware so they cant say "I wished you had told me about this place before I wasted my time and money there."

I know there's going to be some people that reads this that will think there's more to this story than what's posted. I'm ok with that as I would be a bit skeptical if this were someone else's story also. However, anyone who knows me will say different and that I'm usually the first one to brag about getting thrown out of a place but this time I can say that I'm not only baffled at the mindset of the business owner but also very disappointed. If it were me running a place of business on the grand opening day and had to coach someone with the use of a black flag, I believe I would pull them into the pits on the first warning and explain why the black flag was being given and what the next step would be. This way it gives the person a chance to correct themselves before being thrown out. Also, if I did give the black flag I would definitely remember why I threw it in the first place instead of simply saying "I don't remember but it was something bad".

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

PMS !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Contributing Member flat tappet's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Clint.......wish we had a track near us here in rural Vermont. Closest one to me is at NHMS(Loudon,NH) where we run SCCA and they run NASCAR. The course varies between a parking lot course(like the one you were at), using part of the road racing course..and even using part of the NASCAR/SCCA oval at times. But it is a great organization that is very friendly to new racers,run really well..and realizes that when you are racing,you are racing. As with SCCA, dangerous drivers will not be appreciated.

Hope your new track owner comes around.....but if it is really a mixed use kart track, that might not happen. Plus, the owner I am sure has no info on F500/F600 racers and their experience levels.

This particular track has a "defined" track outline and is made to be the outline of a "permanent course".

The thing that got me was that the guy was livid about us going a couple of feet over the line when the nearest thing to hit was over 25ft away. I could understand it if this was a real course and the drop off of the pavement was tearing the bottom of the kart up, but that's not the case here. Its more of a "gentlemen's agreement track".This guy was complaining about us "racing" at a kart track that "wasn't a race track" but then complaining about us not staying in the lines which relate to obeying racing educate?!?!

I'm a bit confused here, we are not causing any damage nor harming anyone and we are being thrown out. At a normal kiddy track were the karts aren't fast enough to race we resort to turning it into a bumper kart track. I must say at some of these tracks I've had to work pretty hard to get thrown out. We have hit each other so hard one person said he stopped seeing in color and was seeing in black and white for a while. We still didn't get thrown out that day, instead the management asked us if we wanted more tickets.

This track however, we were using a lot of caution as the karts were fast enough to race on and they were brand new. Pushing someone down a straight away and going a couple of feet over the white line that's 25ft or more from anything you can hit is not justification to be thrown out. As for the guy not knowing our previous race experience, looking back at it now I don't think it would've been a good idea to say anything.

Liked: 530

were you instructed to color between the lines before you started?

Liked: 11

You have to realize that it takes a special kind of moron to think that a commercial kart facility of any kind is a good business idea. I have looked at a number of track business proposals over the years and see zero chance for a profit with high property cost and zoning issues near any population, paving and insurance cost and then figure any income will be 95% Saturday and Sundays, then only when the weather is nice. If you are dealing with the public then at least half of your customers will be drunk and at some point a 16 year old girl will freak out and confuse the gas with the brake and drive at top speed in to the hardest object she can find. Your track will be out of business in two years tops, unless the moron owner is very wealthy

i can see where youre coming from and ive seen everything you just said happen in the past. I think the thing that will run him out of buisness is his mindset.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Ha!

YEARS ago I learned from my buddy Hud, that you never, ever, EVER make eye contact with the flag person at a kart track...

When Talladega Grand Prix Raceway opened up in '86, ALL the top knee dragers showed up at the little track in Anniston.
    The crew had never seen anything like it - about 50 of the top motorcycle roadracers in the country, all jacked up on contingency money from Yamaha, Honda AND Suzuki (paying $500 to $1000 for a win!) and testosterone, mixed with equal parts adrenaline.

First they wave a flag at you for bumping, then they vigorously wave a flag at you for rubbing, then they blow a whistle at you for bumping and rubbing, then they really get excited and STEP INTO THE TRACK, blowing the whistle, waving the flag, and shouting "SIR, PIT NOW!"...

By this time, I'm hyperventilating and basically HAD to pit and get out of the kart cause it had been about 3 minutes since I had actually taken a breath.
    The "officials" cornered my buddy Hud and demanded to know why he didn't stop when ordered to - his reply was classic - "I never saw you" - all with a straight face, which is something I could never muster.

As for the owner of the place coming unglued, I applaud your efforts to not grab the black flag and shove it up inside him, sideways - I don't know that I have that level of decorum!

I live about 3 minutes from the Andretti karting deal in Roswell and have been there a few times over the years, but find the karts I usually end up with are usually understeering pigs with shot out tires - hardly what I would call fun.

There was a pretty cool indoor track near Road Atlanta several years ago, maybe Goldspeed if memory serves which was quite cool, and went away.

Definitely a tough way to try and make a buck...

Yep, goldspeed was the name. We were very good friends with the owner and had some really good races there. It was just in the wrong location in my opinion. I too have been to the track in anniston and at that place, about all you can do is beat and bang. The guy blew the whistle and stepped out in front of me too. Then he proceeded to drill into me about saftey. The first thing he asked was if I was on drugs or had been drinking. The next thing he said was "thats a 350lb kart going 15 mph and you could have killed me". I very nicely asked if he was on drugs, because anyone that would step out in front of a "350lb kart thats going 15 mph and could have killed you" has to be on drugs. At that point the owner just heard that and said "I appreciate your buisness and I hope to see you back............just not tonight". Then he had a talk with his employee about customer relations. I stuck around for a little while to see who else was going to thrown out and made friends with the owner. He offerd to let me go back out and I told him not to say that too loud. He asked why? My response was " who ever doesnt get thrown out of the local go kart track gets picked on for the rest of the weekend". The owners response " Freakin racers". I just smiled from ear to ear, shook his hand and said I looked foward to next time.

Clint.. i suggest you try a 250cc superkart at the Isle of Man course in the Irish sea. You will be far to busy trying to dodge buildings and stone walls to worry about anything else.

The only black flag you will receive is the one they drape on your pine box if you hit one of those immovable objects.

I would love to!

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    I would love to!
    Clint, have you been up to AMP near
    Dawsonville? I have been on the full size track with my Ralt & Cobra but have not driven the karts. They have a dedicated road course that looks pretty cool with some elevation changes.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

AMP's Rental Kart track is short but LOTS of fun. Very laid back when I was there. Would love to run the full kart track. Definitely worth the drive !

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

From Minnesota?????

Yep ! I'm in Hotlanta from time to time & ALWAYS try to find time for recreational activities. Have considered a relocation just to be near AMP

And to clarify. ... worth the drive up from the Atlanta Airport

Liked: 605

Living well is the best revenge.

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by racerdad2 View Post
    AMP's Rental Kart track is short but LOTS of fun. Very laid back when I was there. Would love to run the full kart track. Definitely worth the drive !
    Catch a quick flight down, this is posted on the AMP site: Do NOT miss the NEW karts, running the ENTIRE pro kart track, for nearly 20% more time. TOMORROW ONLY!!! Closed Sat for a race and Sunday for Mother's Day. General public welcome.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

DANG ! Way too tempting !!! However, I've got to work on the Reynard this weekend To all you other matters out there. By all means, go run that track !!! Bucket list !!!

??? Dang auto spell. All you KARTERS !!!

Liked: 8

[QUOTE)

Pushing someone down a straight away and going a couple of feet over the white line that's 25ft or more from anything you can hit is not justification to be thrown out. .[/QUOTE]

Actually it is.

First of all, was this a race? No. So why were you racing?

You seem to forget that there were other people on the track, both watching and participating. perhaps YOU knew what was safe or not, but the rest of the folks do not. The whole point of the white lines were to define the LIMITS of the course and to CONTAIN your karts within it. I assume there are points where, if you were to leave the track, you COULD possibly re-enter another part of the course at 90 degrees or even head on?

So, if everyone were to ignore the white lines and drive elsewhere, could there not be a chance of a collision resulting in damage, injury, or worse?

Then there is the concern that you were pounding around the course at speeds much greater than the other participants? Perhaps they do not have the skills that you have....so how would YOU feel about your 7 or 8 year old child out on the track with a couple of dudes driving deep into corners, pushing each other around the track, and generally tearing up? I would be pissed! In fact, I would have been in your face!

Then, as a business owner I KNOW how much things cost. Any idea how much capital the track owner just laid out? His equipment, his insurance? I am sure it is well over a couple hundred grand....and he sees his brand new karts being bashed around by a couple of guys who show his equipment no respect? Really?

I bet if you were to go back to the track in a few weeks you will find the karts are governed back down to the usual snails pace that you see at other tracks...because to do so limits the risk of damage, injury and lawsuits. And your actions will have had a direct affect on that decision....you PROVED to him that people cannot be trusted to respect his equipment and his other customers.

Did you guys drive at the speed limit while traveling to and from the track? Or did you drive 30 over, cut in and out of traffic, cutting off other drivers? I am sure you did not. So why would you do exactly this on a track with young kids?

Race tracks are for racing. Go-kart tracks (not to be confused with kart RACING tracks) are for "go-karting" which is NOT the same as racing....you put the owners equipment, yourselves and all the other participants at risk.

And I know you will not understand anything I just said; otherwise you would not have posted your indiscretions in the first place.
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

A voice of reason & maturity. Our local rental kart tracks have 'race events' for those so inclined. They keep a watchful eye out ( & the black flag on the ready ) when the general public is on the track. Abusing equipment & being a hazard to others is never tolerated. I do like AMP's rental agreement. You break it. You buy it. They list replacement costs for the expendables on their karts. Tie rods. Spindles. Bumpers. Etc.

Default Point

My point exactly. How would you feel, Clint if I rented your F500 and used it to push my buddy down the front straight at RA?

In the end, it is all about respect. Simple, really.
    Tom Owen

Liked: 68

Quote Originally Posted by brownslane View Post
    Then there is the concern that you were pounding around the course at speeds much greater than the other participants? Perhaps they do not have the skills that you have..
    While your points are generally well taken, I have to ask why you said this. I can't imagine a situation on a track where I wouldn't be running at my fastest pace - with the possible exception of a driving school where I was doing "follow-the-leader" to indicate the racing line.

Certainly it is reasonable (and intelligent) to not dive-bomb slower drivers and give them plenty of room, but why would you ever expect someone to intentionally drive slow on a track? Driving as fast as we can go is what most of us drivers do whenever we get onto a track - am I missing something?

How would you feel, Clint if I rented your F500 and used it to push my buddy down the front straight at RA?
    If you (or any other experienced driver) rented my FE and took it out for a track test day, I would expect you to be pushing it as fast as you are capable of. As long as you don't abuse it or hit something, that's what it's built for - and I would be disappointed if you couldn't get within striking distance of my lap times.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Marshall, you just made my point.

This was NOT a race, or even race practice; it was lapping in rentals with inexperienced and/or young people on the track. I would EXPECT them to not know the line, to not expect dive bombs and be slow....it was NOT a racing event or lapping for experienced folks.

I started my kids on rental karts; in what I EXPECTED to be a closed course environment where my kids could begin to experience for the first time control over a powered vehicle. I wanted and expected that they would be in an environment where they would not be put a risk, not be frightened by over-aggressive drivers, and that they could enjoy the experience. From what I heard these two fellows did just the opposite for all the others on the "track" at the time.

Race tracks are for going to your limit; rental go-karts are to expose people to a different and exciting experience.

As well, if I were to rent your FE, I am sure you would not be happy if I was pushing the front of your car against the gearbox of a car ahead of me; that is exactly what the OP said he did. The very thing you just said you would not countenance.

I stand by my remarks.
    Tom Owen

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Mauney View Post
    If you (or any other experienced driver) rented my FE and took it out for a track test day, I would expect you to be pushing it as fast as you are capable of. As long as you don't abuse it or hit something, that's what it's built for - and I would be disappointed if I couldn't get within striking distance of your lap times.
    Fixed that for you

If you want to race karts, buy a race kart, and go to the track and mix it up with other racers. Or go to the rent-a-kart places when they are having organized races. Going to those rent-a-kart places in an open group is what you do with your non-racing co-workers and cousins visiting from out of town...or your kids.

Exactly !

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    Fixed that for you

If you want to race karts, buy a race kart, and go to the track and mix it up with other racers. Or go to the rent-a-kart places when they are having organized races. Going to those rent-a-kart places in an open group is what you do with your non-racing co-workers and cousins visiting from out of town...or your kids.
    At NHKA in Loudon,NH, they vary the racing course between the S3 parking lot and part of the road racing course.Race groups are run according to class(TAG,KT100) etc.

No matter what course is being used, fools are not suffered gladly.They want everyone to race safely......and have fun.

This was NOT a race, or even race practice; it was lapping in rentals with inexperienced and/or young people on the track. I would EXPECT them to not know the line, to not expect dive bombs and be slow....it was NOT a racing event or lapping for experienced folks.

I started my kids on rental karts; in what I EXPECTED to be a closed course environment where my kids could begin to experience for the first time control over a powered vehicle. I wanted and expected that they would be in an environment where they would not be put a risk, not be frightened by over-aggressive drivers, and that they could enjoy the experience. From what I heard these two fellows did just the opposite for all the others on the "track" at the time.

Race tracks are for going to your limit; rental go-karts are to expose people to a different and exciting experience.

As well, if I were to rent your FE, I am sure you would not be happy if I was pushing the front of your car against the gearbox of a car ahead of me; that is exactly what the OP said he did. The very thing you just said you would not countenance.

I stand by my remarks.
    I don't know how old you are or what you would consider a young person to be, but there were no "young" people on the track at the time. Everyone on the track for both sessions were a minimum of 18yrs or older.

When we were running we never touched anyone else. HOWEVER, we had three other inexperienced drivers SLAM into us from the side. People like yourself put "young" drivers onto a course in vehicles that are far above their skill set then you want to complain when other drivers that are capable of taking full advantage of the vehicle capabilities are out on the course driving them to their limits. You sound like a parent at a little league game getting upset because the pitcher is throwing the ball too fast for your kid to hit it. I would imagine you would stand up and say "can all the kids that are above my child's capabilities please clear the field so he can get onto base?" . Its people like you that put their kids in danger as well as EVERYONE ELSE AROUND THEM in danger by allowing them to drive vehicles that are far above their capabilities. If you truly want them to "have a learning experience" find a double seat kart. THEN put them into a vehicle that's their speed and level. This way you don't endanger other people by your ignorance. I say this with confidence because when Goldspeed indoor karting was open, we didn't judge by age we judged by ability. If a kid could drive, they were out there with adults. If they couldn't we sent them out with a limited group and turned the karts motor WAYYYYYYY down. We had a kid run a 3 hour enduro and finish very high in the rankings with adults and that was the ONLY kid allowed out there that day for that event. At the same time, there were some adults that we said no to and politely informed them that they would have to get a bit better at driving educate before being allowed to run. That held true with everyday operations as well. Did we turn down their business? NO, we turned down their kart. So trust me when I say I know a bit about how to separate skillsets appropriately. As far as you "hearing" certain things, I suspect you are very good friends with the owner or this is the owner posting. Either way it doesn't matter because if you nor the owner can get out of this mindset you or them wont be in business very long at all. To put this into perspective, just how many times do you think a kid is going to "enjoy" the experience before becoming competitive? Guess what? When they get competitive they will also start driving the kart to the limit. What are you going to tell them at that point? "Ok little pete, slow down a bit, there's other people on the track and I don't want you driving at greater speeds then them even though you are capable I don't want you learning how to push a vehicle to its point, this isn't a race nor lapping its just so you can have a "experience"". Are you out of your mind? Its the same thing as giving them a candy bar, letting them take a bite, asking them if they like it and when they say yes you take the candy bar away and throw it away because everyone else around them doesn't have a candy bar to eat at that same time.

As far as you asking what I would do if someone starting "pushing my rental cars around the track" goes, I would slap them on their back and say "good job!" That's because I expect things like this.

One last thing, just how many people do you think will go to this particular "rental facility" and " enjoy the experience" before wanting to become more competitive? On that same note, I talked to the owners son and he said that professional driving instructors were going to be available for their customers so that the customers would have the opportunity to get the most out of their karts that they possibly can. If this is true, how do you go about showing someone how to drive the kart to its limit if your going to scald them every time they attempt to do so? I don't need to pay a professional driver to instruct me, so im not interested ( I know a ton of people in solo competition that I consider to better than most racing professionals but just don't have the money to go professional)however if I were to pay money to learn this and then told not to attempt it or else I will be black flagged I think I or anyone else would be PISSED OFF!!!!! Whats the point in boasting you have "far above average speed karts" if you never let people drive them above the "average" speeds? Heres your Ferrari Sir, please don't go above the "average" speed limit while youre enjoying your "track experience here at xxxxxx". I don't think you or you're friend will be in business very long with this mindset anyways so its not worth talking about much anymore, this is my last post.

Default A lot to learn

Clint. Your post clearly demonstrates your maturity! Is how you conducted yourself at the kart track?

Remember you are the one who started this thread....I guess you are surprised that more people disagree with you than are willing to underwrite your behavior. You asked for our opinions; you got it!

I have been making a successful living in the racing business for almost 40 years now. I have seen people come and go. I enjoy working with people that have the right attitude and who are grateful for the opportunities that racing brings. I quickly dismiss those who feel they are entitled to things not earned or that they are somehow better than others.

In my businesses I recognize the 80/20 rule. I get 80% of my business from 20% of my customers. I also get 80% of the problems from the bottom 20%. I work hard to determine which group each customer fits into; the ones that throw attitude quickly find themselves looking for a new provider.....which group do you think you fit into?

When you are earning a living in the racing business come back and tell me my attitude needs adjustment or my business model is ineffective.

Tom Owen

Clint. Your post clearly demonstrates your maturity! Is how you conducted yourself at the kart track?

Remember you are the one who started this thread....I guess you are surprised that more people disagree with you than are willing to underwrite your behavior. You asked for our opinions; you got it!

I have been making a successful living in the racing business for almost 40 years now. I have seen people come and go. I enjoy working with people that have the right attitude and who are grateful for the opportunities that racing brings. I quickly dismiss those who feel they are entitled to things not earned or that they are somehow better than others.

In my businesses I recognize the 80/20 rule. I get 80% of my business from 20% of my customers. I also get 80% of the problems from the bottom 20%. I work hard to determine which group each customer fits into; the ones that throw attitude quickly find themselves looking for a new provider.....which group do you think you fit into?

When you are earning a living in the racing business come back and tell me my attitude needs adjustment or my business model is ineffective.

OMG......suspect it would be difficult(tongue in cheek) for a gent in Ontario to be friends with a new gokart track owner in Georgia....but i am only a mediocre racer whose only goal on track was to stay the hell away from the experienced racers...and finish a race without causing damage to others...or me..so what do I know

Liked: 1115

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    Heres your Ferrari Sir, please don't go above the "average" speed limit while youre enjoying your "track experience here at xxxxxx". I don't think you or you're friend will be in business very long with this mindset anyways so its not worth talking about much anymore, this is my last post.
    Well, in case you keep reading rather than take all your toys and go home, it should be noted that the "track experience" guys who sell a few laps in supercars are indeed pretty quick to black flag anyone REALLY driving the things. I don't blame them for being a tad protective of their six-figure hardware.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Perhaps the lads renting were a bit over-exuberant & the owner a bit too concerned ? A little less throttle & a little less black flagging I'm 60 yrs old & I usually get one rolled up black flag every time I go play racer in rental karts. I'm not out there tearing up equipment. Just finding the limits & practicing some 'gentle' bump & runs on my son

Liked: 605

Clint - you did nothing wrong - you were out on a track that you'd paid admission to be on and you were enjoying the freedom that came with it.

The owner did and did not do something wrong - [the did not]...he was within his prerogative as the owner to throw someone out of his private business. [the did something rather wrong part]......apparently showed extreme lack of self control and essentially acted like a crazed idiot (to hear your description) as to how he addressed you thereby alienating you and maybe some others

He may very well show his lack of class to others over time as it likely is a small personality flaw he exhibited that night. Which is not a way to exactly run a small business.

You catch more flies with sugar than with salt.

If he had instead addressed you thusly..........."Dude! I see you're quite the racer and probably very experienced. Here's my problem.....I don't want you to scare the newbies so they never come back. So, for now may I ask you to cool your jets and come back later when it will be better for you to turn hot laps?" With a little tact he'd have a better business.

There's a reason he's at his track and not our Ambassador to France. If nothing else you must recognize he was, and probably still is, very nervous with his business venture working out..........so being that high strung, he came apart on you.

I'll bet his grandkids think he's a great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    Clint - you did nothing wrong - you were out on a track that you'd paid admission to be on and you were enjoying the freedom that came with it.

The owner did and did not do something wrong - [the did not]...he was within his prerogative as the owner to throw someone out of his private business. [the did something rather wrong part]......apparently showed extreme lack of self control and essentially acted like a crazed idiot (to hear your description) as to how he addressed you thereby alienating you and maybe some others

He may very well show his lack of class to others over time as it likely is a small personality flaw he exhibited that night. Which is not a way to exactly run a small business.

You catch more flies with sugar than with salt.

If he had instead addressed you thusly..........."Dude! I see you're quite the racer and probably very experienced. Here's my problem.....I don't want you to scare the newbies so they never come back. So, for now may I ask you to cool your jets and come back later when it will be better for you to turn hot laps?" With a little tact he'd have a better business.

There's a reason he's at his track and not our Ambassador to France. If nothing else you must recognize he was, and probably still is, very nervous with his business venture working out..........so being that high strung, he came apart on you.

I'll bet his grandkids think he's a great guy.

A little known fact is that a prime prerequisite for becoming An Ambasssador to France....is to have been a wild gokart racer,prior to application. A much needed attribute for political dealings in Paris...............LOL

Liked: 5

Very well put Eyerace. I've known Clint for many years and know many of his stories which can't be told publicly. He is the first one to admit when he was doing something stupid, but fun, that had a good chance of getting him thrown out. This was not some little kiddie kart track with 10-15 mph karts. These karts were plenty fast enough to get you in plenty of trouble if you didn't have some moderate skill and restraint. You don't run a kart track to putt around doing a half speed joy ride. You are there to go fast. If the owner didn't want racing going on then you make sure it is clearly posted and mentioned at the usual quick drivers meeting before people get in the karts. Make sure everyone is clear that the session is being run like a time trial event and karts running in close proximity or touching will have the blue flag thrown to allow the faster car through or pull the kart holding the other driver up through the pits to create separation. The owner losing his temper and throwing his paying clients out is a quick way to have no clients. Hopefully the owner will learn before he has no more clients and goes belly up.
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked: 4

Default Go Kart Black Flag

That's extremely weird. I've been to plenty of different types of go kart tracks from performance karts that require the fire suit and helmet to the regular ones outside with batting cages and the only time I've gotten flagged was due to a failure with the car (computer chip in the car didn't slow it down on yellow flags like all the other cars) which they immediately apologized for and got me a new car.

This track requires a suit,helmet, and neck support also. Its not that we got thrown out as much as the mindset that run the facility. Usually when we get thrown out its because we tried to get thrown out. Thats on tracks that doesnt have karts fast enough to race one another this track has karts that were equal enough to race on, but apparently youre not supposed to be racing at anytime while on the course. Its disapointing to say the least.

Thread Information