Thread: Game Changers

Contributing Member
    Liked: 10

Default Game Changers

Information from the latest (May) issue of SportsCar. "Game Changers - Meet the classes and categories, and some cars, that changed SCCA competition". Game changers have been defined as a "disruptive development that fundamentally alters the nature of competition".

A number of classes are mentioned in the articule but I thought I'd point out the one that affects F500/600, namely the inclusion of motorcycle engines into the SCCA class F500. Quoting from SportsCar:

F600 allows for the installation of 600cc motorcycle motors paired to sequential transmissions in the Formula 500 chassis. A group of enthusiastic Club members have been working hard over the last few years to get this class off the ground, building several cars under the Regional "F600" moniker, and even creating an F600 series with contingency offerings for 2013. (editorial note - contingency offerings continue bigger and better in 2014). Staring this year, the motorcycle engine and transmission allowance has been integrated into the GCR, allowing the motorcycle powerplants to compete directly against Rotax-powered F500s. This could change everything for a class that is already enjoying a second life.

My experience of a race weekend has been changed for the better after I converted my F500 chassis to accept the 600cc MC engine. I can focus on things I understand instead of worrying about "clutch setups" I had very little understanding of. Not everyone will agree with my position but it's my race weekend and I'm enjoying myself again.

Liked: 0

I would have to agree. We recently sold our F500 car for the same reasons. With clutches, springs, jets, and hard to find rotax engines and the expensive cost to have someone help show you the ropes its killing the F500 sport. 9000.00 to convert are old F500, the only problem going with a new roller chassis is 22000-24000. Might look at FE complete car with parts 25,000-30,000

Liked: 72

The only thing I miss about the two-stroke setup is the smell and the ability to say "you just got beat by something you can pull start". I raced the two-stroke drive-train for 9 years and hit the clutch setup two or three times. When I hit the clutch setup the car was super fast. The other 99% of the time I struggled with either acceleration or top speed. It was rewarding and frustrating.............mostly frustrating. I prefer the motorcycle setup, some prefer the two stroke setup, its all the same class now so it doesn't matter which one you prefer as you can race either .

Liked: 896

I love the 2 strokes, however unless you really understand the clutches, the engine and how they interact with the weather etc it is very difficult to run at the front.

Now the advantage of the MC engines is that they are always running properly and always giving you max power.

I still have the first F600 NovaKar in my shop that I built in 2009. The engine has NEVER been out of the car and has been raced at least 50 times. Now this is not to say that the owner has never had a problem. Once he had a voltage regulator fail.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    The only thing I miss about the two-stroke setup is the smell and the ability to say "you just got beat by something you can pull start". I raced the two-stroke drive-train for 9 years and hit the clutch setup two or three times. When I hit the clutch setup the car was super fast. The other 99% of the time I struggled with either acceleration or top speed. It was rewarding and frustrating.............mostly frustrating. I prefer the motorcycle setup, some prefer the two stroke setup, its all the same class now so it doesn't matter which one you prefer as you can race either .
    "I raced the two-stroke drive-train for 9 years and hit the clutch setup two or three times."

How great it is to read these words coming from one of the all time fastest F500 racers! I also raced in the F500 class for about 10 yrs & had the same exact experience, hitting the perfect CVT clutch setup maybe 2 or 3 times & then being able to run at the front, even setting a couple of track records. However 99% of the time it wasn't perfect: center distance, spring weights, spring settings, belt width or length, shims, etc. The belt wear would change everything & no two belts were ever exactly the same width & length! Eventually I left the class in the late 90's for that reason when it looked like there was not going to be any chance of getting bike engines approved as a replacement for the 2 strokers. Good on Clint & the others for all the years of hard work & expense that eventually made it happen! Light weight modern bike engines are definitely the best power & durability for the buck!
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by jrohde View Post
    I would have to agree. We recently sold our F500 car for the same reasons. With clutches, springs, jets, and hard to find rotax engines and the expensive cost to have someone help show you the ropes its killing the F500 sport. 9000.00 to convert are old F500, the only problem going with a new roller chassis is 22000-24000. Might look at FE complete car with parts 25,000-30,000
    I am sorry to hear this. Dan & Clint McMahan have been converting cars for about $5,000 + MC drivetrain (about $1,000) for several years now. True that we are too far from you down here in metro Atlanta. With any other faster formula class, you are going to find out that it is MUCH more expensive than you initially thought. And yet, there are several used F600's selling in the range around $15K. Check out the classified section in www.formula500.org/forum.php . This way you buy an already set up F600 ready to race in the pro series (www.theformula600challenge.com) where $4K of the $5K purse goes toward the tow fund. This makes it really inepensive to race. BTW, the 2nd round of the series will be at the June Sprints so please come hang out with us and learn all you can about F600 - the best bang for the buck in club racing. And you can tell us where the best place to stay for the June Sprints.

Jim

Thread Information