Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road Atlanta

Contributing Member
    Liked: 862

Default Road Atlanta

Well, teams are on their way to Road Atlanta for the first race of the season. The entry list is still slightly a work in progress and can be seen here: http://www.f1600series.com/drivers.html

We expect 24 for what should be very competitive field.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Liked: 3

Any idea what the track will charge for a spectator fee for Saturday?
    "The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose." - Dale Earnhardt Sr.

Liked: 3787

Probably nothing if you are a "guest of the Series".

You would probably qualify.

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

I'm jealous. One day, I'll have the money and the time off from work to try the "Series" and see how slow I really am.

Default Thanks Mike

But this guest is also bringing another guest.

Give me a shout if you have a moment before load in gets crazy. I'll PM you my phone number.

Cheers,
    RD
    "The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose." - Dale Earnhardt Sr.

sent you a PM for with all the secret passwords you need to get in free.

Lots of great looking cars. New cars, new paint sceams, new faces. Great opening for the season!
    Ski Motorsports with Anze shocks did a complete rebuild on Goughary's VD. Jim may not recognize it when he gets here.
    Come to think of it...I didn't see any Swifts in the field now that Scanlan is in a Spectrum.

Liked: 140

Was wondering about ticket prices too. Wanted to drag the wife out, but don't need her balking at ticket prices as yet another excuse to not go to the race track! Odd that the Road Atlanta website doesn't even have the event listed...I guess it's not a priority for them?

Thanks again Mike.

Purple Frog for the win

you did not read this here.
    But... the word is if you race a formula car, would like to race a formula car, or just like to watch the greatest small bore formula car show in the US, you can get in free.

You have to show up at the registration building out in the dirt parking lot at these times:

Friday - 730 to1130 or 230 to 6.
    Saturday - 700 to 1100 or 1200 to 200
    Sunday - 730 to 1130

Speak to Lenore really nicely. Sign all the waivers. Show SCCA credentials if you have them.
    And... if you are nice, you become a guest of the Series, and in you go. But drive to the pro pits on the inside of the track, not the old original paddock.

But, you didn't read that here.

I don't know what you're talking about Mike.

Liked: 157

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post

Come to think of it...I didn't see any Swifts in the field now that Scanlan is in a Spectrum.
    Mike, hopefully you will see at least one Swift at a race this year, not sure which one(s) yet though.

We see that Bill's #83 was "stolen" this year by someone else. Nice to see it is still a fast number.

Liked: 42

F1600 field is stacked this year! Top five cars for today's race within a tenth in qualifying. Race coming up shortly.

Some photos are here: http://f1600series.com/photos/catego...tlanta-q1.html

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Wild wild wild first race. Big lead pack the whole race. I took this video in Turn 10 right before some contact that ended the race. (You can probably figure it out from watching the video, it happens just off frame)

I assume it will be in HD eventually once youtube processes it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSSDZxDuFXo

All we want to know is how #83 did.

A little slow with the photos, I apologize. I lost track of which photos I had already done between the three series and then dinner called my name!

Liked: 52

[QUOTE=Dennis Valet;428570]A little slow with the photos, I apologize. I lost track of which photos I had already done between the three series and then dinner called my name!

Dennis great photos as always!!! Love seeing your work after each pro race weekend!

Thanks Ryan. Wish I had more time this weekend to shoot. Only showing up for qualifying and the races just isn't enough! Having withdrawals...

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Wow!

I went up to the track yesterday afternoon to catch the races and lemme tell you, just in case you might have been told, and or think that F1600 cars are slow, or the racing is not close or exciting - HOGWASH!
    The lead pack was proverbial "covered by a postage stamp" for quite some time, and the duels throughout the field were many.

You'd think that after 30+ years I would have spectated from every conceivable location, but yesterday was a treat as F2000 driver Beau Borders turned me onto a spot on the inside of T 12, just past the apex, where all that stood between us and the F16's (OMG-I just did it again - F16's, what can I say - I'm just that good! ;o) was a 1 meter tall jersey barrier... and physics obviously, but I still kept an eye uptrack - It wuz skeery!!

Congrats to my old buddy Jim Goughary for proving that even though we are closer to wearing diapers than some of the kids coming up are AWAY from them - the 50+ crowd can Get 'er done!

GREAT racing.

(On edit, JG may not have hit the magic Five-O just yet)

Liked: 1397

This is what FF racing is all about. These F1600 races are as good as there ever has been for these cars.

The organizers should be proud. Keep up the great work.

Liked: 0

I have a long way to go until 50, Coop! Great close racing all weekend and some of the young guys have real serious talent. On a side note I have to give a call out to Williams for all their help this weekend. We broke the diff on Friday and had it not been for Williams being there to support us I would have ended up going home. Also same goes to Primus for being there with parts. Thank you both for everything!

Jim Goughary

Senior Member Franklin Futrelle's Avatar
    Liked: 6

Jim should have won both days. He had probably a 3-4 scond lead when the 2 full course cautions came out. The racing was absolutely amazing. I cant imagine what it was like in 10a and b.
    Franklin

Finally got around to finishing off the Sunday afternoon photos. They are up on the website and facebook.

The spin that lost the lead on the last lap

Art also had some last lap contact but limped the car home over the line with a broken left front suspension

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

I guess the yellow Mygale was in a SNAP spin.
    Great photography, and looks like a great field. I have VIR on my schedule, but it looks like I'll be even more out-classed than before. Man, all those beautiful new cars!
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Default Come on out

Jim, and others,

I think a bunch of us are at a crossroads: Look over the fence at the Pro series with envy and then drag the car to a mixed class regional with only two or three other FF's or jump into the deep end and swim! See you in the pool. I am planning on running as many of these as I can starting with the Glen. Come and have a go at beating me and the newly rebodied Wyvern!!

I have to get to the garage to finish up the work before testing next week at Limerock.

cheers

Steve

Glad to know I won't be the only minnow in the shark tank. I can't get to Watkins [money / impending divorce if I tow that far, little things like that] but I wish I could. It looks like a great track on rFactor.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Here is race 2's video from my view.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=e...&v=nGXwMqlIUFw

Fast forward to the 4 min mark for the start of the race.
    Steve Bamford

Super race! Thanks for posting the video. I like your data acquisition display. Is that AIM or what?
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

That's the AIM Smartycam.
    Steve Bamford

Man, forget Formula 1, they should just show this stuff on TV every weekend

I agree. best race I've seen this year. It would take a year of F1 to see that much action.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Senior Member Franklin Futrelle's Avatar
    Liked: 6

Nice video steve...great race except for the orange car getting put out in 10 b.

That one is stored in the memory banks dor future use

Franklin Futrelle

Liked: 96

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    I guess the yellow Mygale was in a SNAP spin.
    Nice!
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Valet View Post
    Man, forget Formula 1, they should just show this stuff on TV every weekend
    The engines sound better too.

Steve thanks for posting the video, nice drive. You need a rear facing camera since there were so many cars behind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Valet View Post
    The engines sound better too.

Steve thanks for posting the video, nice drive. You need a rear facing camera since there were so many cars behind you.
    Sometimes we have the rear camera which can be pretty entertaining...I was driving in my mirrors most of the race & trying not to get caught up in the fight to not let the leaders get away. It was a pretty good train going there for a while.
    Last edited by Steve Bamford; 04.16.14 at 11:54 AM.
    Steve Bamford

Liked: 127

Awesome video. Couldn't ask for more action in a race than that.
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

Liked: 61

Default thinking about the Pro Series?

This is an interesting thread and since it seems there were quite a few fellow F racers watching this event, or reading the thread, I thought I would speak from your perspective; what’s it like jumping into the ‘deep end’. What was it really like?

Here’s my experience, so you can compare. I ran an ’84 Reynard in CENDIV 88-92. I essentially bought a vintage non-club Ford when the DB1 arrived. Consequently, in a tough division I had a Hell of a time qualifying for the Runoffs. More innate talent would have gotten the car there but it is me we are discussing. Just couldn't beat enough of the pointy cars at the time.

After a 20 year hiatus, I returned last year with a ’93 VD mono-shocker. After a winter rebuild we luckily found some issues with shocks, etc. which accounted for some of my handling feedback last year (which was terrible frankly as the car was trying to kill me). With the odd Majors pathway last year, I went to my first Runoffs. Q 25 finished 15th. I was barely in the hunt. I had a blast. After a pretty full season I felt I had my ‘chops’ back and was ready for a really decent 2014. I can still do this, I was pretty sure.

I now race out of Denver and all my past experience was Mid-West tracks. So, with the exception of Road America I was on new tracks all last season. That’s a challenge while trying a ‘comeback’. Our team, Front Range MotorSports has run the Pro Series for several years. I was planning to attend the M-O pro race since I know the track well. Better to get into a tough mix at a place I’m comfortable-- was the plan. Then, one of our scheduled FF drivers had a conflict and a spot on the truck opened up they really wanted filled (expenses). So, I agreed to go to RA, a track I've never had the pleasure to run (or even see in person).

So, there’s the setup. A bit boring but I think you understand where I am and can judge where you are personally and equipment wise. We get to RA with my ’93 VD, a Zetec and an FA. Nice mix but I don’t have a teammate with data to overlay with mine. Did I mention this is my first event with data and radio?

We practice on Thursday. Four sessions. Never having been on track, the first turn, up the hill 2-5 are quite challenging when you consider besides the lift in 1, you are flat almost entirely. My speed into 1 was a bit low but it was my line (pinching, too tight) that was the issue (scrubbing speed). Staying flat up the hill through 2-5 was tough. You are either flat or you lost 2.5 seconds to this field.
    The run through 10a/b was critical to get down the hill and onto the front straight. The G load I saw on Steve’s vid is certainly true. You just pound into the last turn. Awesome. It took me a while to commit to flat under the Petronas bridge and into the last turn. Flat from 10b into 1 was worth 1.5 seconds.

The draft down the backstraight was critical. The multi car teams used this brilliantly the entire time we were there aligning themselves (radios) for runs down into 10. My car would pull 300 more revs with a slight tow. No tow? Add two seconds. (side note. Every time I ran down this straight I had a chuckle about those crazy Whittington Bros….)

With the above being said, you have a feeling that I was pedaling as fast as I could. Boy was I ever. The cars entered in this event (26 I believe) were all first rate. Names like Rubenzer, Bamford, etc. plus the young and fast from around the World. Yes, for more than half the field money was apparently no object. Same old same old we are all used to right? Just drive the damn car. Extremely foremost in my mind however was this. And I am very serious. I was intent not to have my picture on anyone’s trailer wall this weekend. I was absolutely going to keep my head down and stay out of the way. Maybe not the charge to the front at all costs attitude needed in this venue but I have a huge amount of respect for folks with innate talent who are on a mission. Stay out of the way and learn their lines was the idea. Use the point by liberally.

We ran four sessions on Thursday. Every session I was too slow but improved in each. Official practice began on Friday and we improved every session again. Driving with the cars in this group was both thrilling and very educational based upon my SCCA racing experience. A few things I observed/learned very quickly. One, when you leave the false grid in any session the group will go flat out- on the out lap. Flat immediately or you are gone. Two, yellow flags mean nothing. Three, you will be challenged for a turn in places and at speeds that took my breath away (nearly). I saw passes made at speeds and in turns like 2, 3 and 4 that involved not only immense skill, trust of fellow racers but balls of brass. Oh, and I was blown off by a fine young lady every day.

Since flat out ruled every session there were cars buried everywhere in every session. High centered on blind apexs, stuffed nose first in, and one unfortunately burned a bit. There was a fair amount of parts torn off cars. For the most part these were individual incidents while exploring the limits of adhesion. The VD paddocked next to us tore the entire left front off back to the rack. And the rack. The car was ready the next morning. Four, double yellows, waving yellows all mean go 99% and no less. Any slower and you will be left behind again. Finally, starting in the back, the green was thrown while I was exiting 10a. “Green, green, green.” into my ears and I’m backing off due to the chain in 10a/b. Didn't see that one coming. But then I never started in the 12th row before…….Lesson learned.

The lesson about the all out ‘pro’ driving? Watch your mirrors, hold your line and constantly revisit your race craft. Do that and you will be fine. As a ‘better’ club racer when you get there, you will leave a pro event with a whole new appreciation of what a FF car can do. You will be a better driver as well. Consider that after running in a pro field you will have tested yourself and car against some of the very best in the World. That truly is a rare opportunity.

It seems the cost is a factor when racers think about trying a few of the pro events. However, consider the six tire rule. Many of the Majors I’ve run have had drivers using two sets of Hoosier 35s. Two tires less is about $550 less. The entry fees for pro at $1,100 vs. $550 for a Major are pretty similar. The track time, with all FF is extensive. We didn’t even take our two additional tires for Sunday because frankly I was racing for the last ten spots and no more. Sometimes rational thinking prevails.

The organization was fine. First event of the year things only. Rand was there holding anyone’s hand. Chip Robinson seems determined to run a professional event. The steward at our Sunday Driver’s Meeting seriously, and I mean seriously lectured those amongst us who needed to consider some boneheaded moves on Saturday. The field took this serious warning to heart and as you can see from Steve’s video, produced a fine race on Sunday.
    I had a feeling going in I was going to have a tough time not qualifying as Last Guy. Never been LG. Really didn’t want to be LG. Well, I qualified last on Saturday. I was never so proud of myself ever in a race car.

If you come and race in this series you too will leave with a feeling of extreme accomplishment. I was the only Kent in the field. Comparatively, my chassis looked like I was the only vintage car to run. For my purposes and goals, none of this mattered. This is one determined and talented field of FF racers. Kids, ladies, and some of us more experienced club racers. Do it. This season. See you at the Glen.

Bob Melvin

Default Nice Writeup!

Bob, thanks for telling your story. I hope to see you at the next event and give you some company at the blunt end. I am working really hard on my one off car to be there at the Glen. Last time I ran the Glen with this series I had my Royale Club Ford and still had fun fighting all race long with Sean Maisey. Lets see how many NE'eners make this race. Ed Callo perhaps? Jim MacNicholl put together a nice RF98 FIT. The level of competition is truly amazing. The same thing I said when first saw the F BMW guys run Limerock. All within a second and really fast.

Cheers, Steve
    Last edited by Roux; 04.20.14 at 1:24 AM.

Bob, great writeup. I'm really happy to hear that you are coming to the Glen.

My hope for the F1600 series is that it is not only a great series for the absolute fastest in FF, but also a great series for club racers who want to run single formula races with 25+ car fields. The F2000 series has racing for every single person that shows up. No matter where you are in the field you are going to be running with someone. F1600 seems a little deeper than F2000 at the moment, and to be just mid pack in F1600 you need to national race winning speed.

I hope that there's room for big teams running aspiring professionals as well as club racers who want to reach their potential, whatever level that may be. I really love that you are coming to the Glen, and I think that if more and more club level guys show up the series will only get better and better.

Of the years I've been involved with the F1600 series, I think my favorite year is still the inaugural year. That's when it was all SCCA club guys who wanted to do the runoffs type racing each and every race weekend. The landscape has changed, and there is less club guys, but I hope they come back. There's nothing like single class racing in a huge field. It's just such a better experience than a normal club race.

Bob,

As others have said, great write up! I believe you have my old 93 VD which I did my first ever FF race in back here in Canada, my first National event at Road Atlanta 2011 & my first Pro Series race back in April 2011 at VIR. I was very slow back then & it wasn't the cars fault, that was just me.

Entering the Pro Series back then was one of the things that helped our team & myself develop & learn from others around us. Everyone around was really good at offering out information as I was learning & helped me continue to improve as a driver.

I am pretty sure without the great events put on by the Pro Series I would have likely moved onto some other hobby by now or found another single class some where to compete in.

Everyone should make the effort at least once to see what it is all about & make their decisions from there.
    Steve Bamford

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information