Liked: 5

Default How can I install a brake light ... for use only HPDE events

There is a local club that puts on several HPDE events and I am considering doing a few just for extra seat time. The catch is you need a working brake light. Any one have a good / easy way I could wire one up to use at these events? I am fairly good with electrical, just not sure whats out there for switches to use on the brake pedal. Thanks for any and all help.

Liked: 254

Quick and dirty......put a micro switch at the brake pedal and run it to a separate light at the rear of the car. Therefore, when you press the brake it activates the pedal and consequently the light.

If you want something more permanent you can buy a pressure switch and plumb it into either of the brake circuits (just don't mount it at the brake corner as it will melt). I think they sell banjo bolt cycle pressure switches. Replace the bolt on the rear master cylinder, bleed the rear circuit, then go have fun.

Liked: 1875

Almost any "normally closed" plunger-type switch will work, though I'd probably go for a roller lever type actuater. It can then be mounted to have the side of the brake pedal push the roller.

Or you can just grab the switch out of just about any car at a junkyard. they are usually mounted in-line with the pedal, but have a long enough throw after engagement to make it easy to adjust so that the switch isn't bottomed out hard when the pedal is released.

In either case, the light is wired in series with the switch.

Classifieds Super License teamwisconsin's Avatar
    Liked: 565

Quote Originally Posted by 2BWise View Post
    I think they sell banjo bolt cycle pressure switches. Replace the bolt on the rear master cylinder, bleed the rear circuit, then go have fun.
    The banjo switches are very reliable and dont require fabricating a mount like a micro switch. We use them on all the vintage stuff at work and haven't had one go bad yet after 8 years.
    Last edited by teamwisconsin; 07.25.14 at 3:11 AM.
    Ethan Shippert
    http://shippertracingservices.com
    https://www.norwestff.com

"l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!"

Liked: 210

AND if you only want it for HPDE's put a switch on the wire after the Banjo Bolt to turn it on and off.
    Last edited by rickb99; 04.06.14 at 7:23 PM.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Another option if you MC uses 3/8-24 banjo bolt is this.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-r40505/overview/

and this.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-890002/overview/

$20 plus shipping gets you a working switch. You can then run wires from the pigtail to your existing rain light in parallel with your existing rain light wiring. Then it is just a matter of unplugging the pigtail from the switch to enable or disable the brake light function. Just double check with Summit what the pressure rating of the switch is to make sure it is compatible with the pressures of your brakes. Summit sells a dozen different kinds of these switches so I'm sure you can get one that is compatible. If your MC's use a different size banjo bolt then you can install a tee on one of your brake lines and install the switch there instead.

EDIT: Ethan beat me too it!
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Thanks guys! Got it taken care of with a micro switch at the pedal, my existing rain light, and a 3 way switch on the dash.

Thread Information