Classifieds Super License GT-Subject's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default Drummond Sealed FM Engines

Can someone tell me the location of the Drummond engine seals? I am looking to buy a sealed motor and I would like to make sure I verify the seal locations via photo before I pay for it.

Thanks for your help....
    All the best in the spirit of the sport,Paul "G.T." Subject
    CASC Formula Libre Champion - 2021, 2017 & 2012,
    VARAC Club Champion, Formula Classic & F90 Champion, 2022, 2021
    Skip Barber Grand Master Open Wheel Champion - 2008

Liked: 3

Hi GT., I still have the old style seals on my engine ( probably do for a refresh )so that won't be much help to you. I am going to Road Atlanta as a spectator/crew next weekend so I can ask and take some picks for you. If you have any questions on the engine I can ask the Mazda drivers there.

John B.

Liked: 27

Record the serial number and call Darryl. He can give you the history of the motor and verify that it is one of his.

Thanks Darryl, I will do that. John, if you could get some pictures of some sealed engines at Road Atlanta, that would be a big help.

Cheers!!

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

The two main seals are modified bolts that hold the 5 housings together. They have a cylindrical red anodized top instead of a normal hex-head. One is on the lower right (exhaust) side of the engine. The second one is on the upper left, just inside the bellhousing adapter. If the engine is in the car it tends to get dirty, and some cars have a dust cover over the "window" in the adapter (which is usually easily removed).

There is also a wire seal that runs across the top, starting just underneath the air filter and running to just under the distributor. It's got a lead medallion with "DDR" stamped on it.

Drummond usually stamped a 3-digit number on the aluminum rotor housings, located under the air filter (they are visible without removing the filter). On all of my cars they are "FM" with a 3-digit #, although I've been told that some older engines might not necessarily have been numbered. Checking the serial #'s is a good idea but it won't tell you if the engine has been tampered with or not since Drummond shipped it out.
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks Sam - that helps a lot!!!!

so my motor has stamps that say CCR xxx

who the heck is that?

i know its an oooooooold motor but still runs well. i would just like more history on it...

also i emailed drummond and he said he started putting the tension bolt caps as seals as of 2002

Thread Information