Liked: 5

Default Which Sheet Metal Brake

I'm looking hard at getting a small (24" or maybe up to 36") box brake for bending aluminum. I can't seem to find a good option. All the 24" brakes I have found are only rated at 20 gauge for mild steel and I need to bend up to 1/16" aluminum. From what I have read a brake designed for 20 gauge steel probably won't be up to the task of 1/16" aluminum, not to mention being able to set it up to a reasonable bend radius for 1/16" aluminum. Seems like the only option is to jump up to a 48" which also dramatically increases the costs not to mention my lack of floor space for a 48" brake. Anyone know of a good option for a smaller brake that will do 1/16" aluminum?
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1475

I alway figure those ratings assume that you intend to use the item in a shop environment, where wear plays a significant role in the economics. I've used some pretty small bench brakes to bend pretty thick aluminum. I figure if it's just occasional use that's OK. Most brakes out there in shops are older than the owner.....

Have you considered a press brake?

The only press brakes I have seen are those 3 in 1 machines and most the the reviews have been less than stellar. Northern tool has one that would work in my manual hydraulic press, but it is a straight brake and only has one set of dies for 90 degrees. I did manage to find one option from Baileigh. It is the size and capacity (16 gauge steel) I want, but it is double the cost of the various 20 gauge machines. I'm struggling to understand how the step from 20 gauge to 16 gauge doubles the price. It does come with a stand which the other machines did not. I was hoping to that there would be at least one other comparable machine from a different manufacture to compare against.

http://metal.baileighindustrial.com/box-brake-bb-2416e
    Chris Ross
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Contributing Member
    Liked: 4

When it comes to breaks and slip rolls you really get what you pay for. the three in one machines dont work very well. If you get a machine rated at 20 gauge it might bend 26 gauge at maximum length if you try to bend 20 at maximum length you will get deflection in the middle. press breaks are difficult to use. get yourself a good quality finger break that will bend at least 16 gauge

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Have you considered any of the tools that master-genius-metalsmith Dave Williams manufacturers and sells to the racer?

My fabrication skills are quite limited, but I have seen Mr. Williams' finished products first hand all done with his own tools. His work is incredible. Don't know how much his tools have to do with it but here you go:

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/0711sr_cool_tools/
    http://www.lowbucktools.com/index.html

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Pexto and Tennsmith.

I looked at low buck tools and while some of that stuff is pretty neat, it isn't what I'm looking for.

Pexto (Roper Whitney) does make a 24", but I'm seeing prices between $4-8K! That is way out of my budget. Tennsmith doesn't make anything smaller than a 4' and even then prices are over $1K for their bench mount 48" box brake.

I reviewed the specs on the Baileigh unit further and it is limited to only 1.1" for the box depth. That is going to be too shallow for a few of the items I'm looking at. I guess I just need to keep hunting for a used bigger brake and see if I can get lucky and find one in my price range.
    Chris Ross

Liked: 40

Default Mittler Bros.

I bought Mittler Bros Ultimate Box & Pan Brake several years ago. It's one of the best tooling purchases I've made. It is very versatile for many varied bending operations. The removable upper fingers and removable apron fingers make this a very useful tool. Anyhow they have other types of brakes also. Checkem out. Very helpful on the phone also. Take a look at the videos for the Ultimate Brake and you'll be able to see how this versatile tool works. http://http://www.mittlerbros.com/mi...pan-brake.html

They also have many other tools they manufacture also.
    I would rather be making racing news than reading it. Living the dream out here in the middle of farm country

Liked: 302

Chris,

I'm sure you know this but just in case: if you are looking just for a single project and the bends are not too complex or precise, some square tubing, 2x4's, and a hammer are pretty darn effective. I find the 2" square tubing corner radius to be about what I want when bending aluminum. I clamp this stuff in a vise and make small "adjustments" with a hammer. 6061T6 might be a bit difficult. I made a container out of some, 14 gauge, and the cheap Chinese vise broke while wacking it with the hammer...

For lighter gauge there are cheap brakes that work well enough to use.

Regards,
    Barry

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by lancer360 View Post
    I looked at low buck tools and while some of that stuff is pretty neat, it isn't what I'm looking for.
    Fair enough. Like I said, I'm no fabricator. I just know the quality of the finished products he pumps out on his own tools.

For the DIY'r on a budget looking for American Made metal fab tools it's worth a bookmark.

Liked: 121

Check to see if there are any school auctions in your general area. I've heard of super killer deals being had on shop equipment.

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

Search your local Craigslist every day, you'll find something. http://charlotte.craigslist.org/
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

I have checked Craigslist the past few days, but I'll have to remember to keep checking it. Thanks for all the tips.
    Chris Ross

Liked: 49

I have one of those big 40" Chinese 3-in-1 things.. It's fairly old and seems to have been poorly maintained before I got it, but it just isn't very nice. I've never used a proper finger brake either, but a proper tool has to be better than this. Made a little project recently out of 22g Stainless and it was a struggle. Shearing more than a few inches of metal was a challenge. The bends didn't come out nearly as nice as I would expect even on 12" long pieces. The entire thing bends and deflects on all the wrong places even though it's absurdly heavy.

Anyway, it was worth the $200 I paid for it, but if I had a lot of sheet metal work to do, I'd definitely save up a bit more for something better. I guess there's a reason the good stuff costs so much!

Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

I looked at Grizzly too, but all their small ones are 20 gauge. You have to step up to the 48" to bend anything heavier and I just don't have the room for a 4' brake.
    Chris Ross

We have what's called a 422 brake: 4' x 22ga. I bend all kinds of things over 22ga. with it. Up to 1/8 x 2 hot rolled flat bar. Aluminum up to .080 x 18" wide, etc. Since it isn't a finger brake we have to be "creative" when bending boxes...
    Finding a smaller, heavy ga. brake is going to be tough as there is almost no "industrial" demand and that's what most of the older versions were geared toward.
    You might call around to sign, heating contractor and sheet metal shops that have been around your area for a while, they almost always have some unwanted equipment hiding in a dusty corner...that's where our sheet shear came from.

Good luck,
    Lawrence
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Liked: 1397

Northern Tool: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...8477_200418477

This is probably the best you will find.

I have a 4 foot, double cheep something from some where in Asia. I hate the thing but with care I can bend most of what I need to. It was rated as 22 guage for the full width. I have done 18 gage steel but I increase the radius ands I have not done full width for that thickness.

You need a machine that you can set adjust the set back of the fingers and the clamping pressure/thickness you clamp.. Most machines I have seen allow you to do this.

With a 4 foot brake, you might have better luck bending 24 inches in .060 aluminum. When you bend heavy stuff always bent near the edge of the brake. And increase the set back to allow for a larger radius bend.

You should be able to find something for under $500. The machine I have was well under that.

Liked: 102

The break that is rated for 20 ga steel will also bend 18 ga Al on a regular basis. If you want to bend 16 ga. Al, the break should be able to do it if you adjust the clamping force to a lesser amount, that will increase the bend radius enough. You may need to put an extension on the handle of the break to get enough leverage. Also, when bending, don't try to do it in one heave ho, rather, rock the handle back and forth and bend in small increments. That is how we bend 10 ga steel on our break that is rated for 12 ga. steel.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ch=426412-1456

Only $899 delivered to your front door

Bends 18 ga steel, so .060 Al will be no problem

Don't have room for a 48".
    Chris Ross

I think you said that in your first post. Wasn't it something like, "I don't have room for a 48" brake"?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BERKROY-24-B...52447315&rt=nc
    Last edited by HayesCages; 03.21.14 at 11:20 AM.
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Liked: 49

I ran out of room for tools long ago.. In the meantime, I've added a 12x48 lathe, a large CNC mill, a 42" sheet metal 3-in-1 contraption and a few smaller bits.. There's always room for tools! Think vertical

Contributing Member
    Liked: 20

I've been having similar thoughts about a brake, as I'm pounding panels over the corner of my bench It's just hard to justify $900 for the limited number of pieces I need to make. I have some plans I found online to build one, but I that time seems better spent getting the car together.

Default Home Depot brake...or something

Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
    I've been having similar thoughts about a brake, as I'm pounding panels over the corner of my bench It's just hard to justify $900 for the limited number of pieces I need to make...
    I agree with you. But I also know every time that I have bought the tool in question despite the logic to the contrary, I always comment later that it was worth every penny. The parts come out right the first time and in 1/3 of the time that it took without the right tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiago Santos View Post
    I ran out of room for tools long ago.. In the meantime, I've added a 12x48 lathe, a large CNC mill, a 42" sheet metal 3-in-1 contraption and a few smaller bits.. There's always room for tools! Think vertical
    I love the Think Vertical… that was funny….

I built a second floor storage area in my shop to make room for more tools. You just need to be more creative in arranging the shop to fit that next new tool….

Liked: 942

Default RE: Home Depot brake

That's how I made my fuel cell cover, used a B&D Workmate. Ron Hickman would have been proud!
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 96

If you really want to purchase a brake, DO NOT buy a 24" version. Although you think that it will be wide enough, I guarantee that the second time you want to bend some thing, it will be too narrow. The slight increase in room required will be forgotten about long before the bitching because it isn't wide enough for what you want to bend. Trying to design around the tool is not the way to make things. A 48" version will also be a lot easier to sell down the road than a 24" one also. Just my $0.02.

john f

Liked: 1397

Here is a picture of a home made press brake. I built this to bend the nose radius on wings. But the brake can be used to make sharp bends as well. There is a 3/16 slot in the top plate to hold the die. For sharp bends, I use a piece of 3/16 x 1 inch bar stock with the radius of the bend I want.

The picture shows a 5/16 radius bending die in the brake. The press is 42" so I can bend 37" wings.

This design can easily be made to use standard production type bending dies.

Liked: 114

Default Brake

I agree with the no 2' brake. Ebay, craigslist and school auctions are the place to look. I found a nice 4' finger brake on Ebay for $180. that will bend 16ga mild steel. I also have, from a school, a 36" slip roll that will do 18ga mild steel for $75. and a corner notcher that will do up to 16ga for $62. None of those items needed anything other that a little paint. You may want to check surplus machinery sales companies. They buy out old industrial plants. They make their money on the big equipment and the smaller items (to them) go fairly cheap. I just picked up a used 40ton ironworker for $275. without the cutters, but I found the cutters and a punch and die set for less than $500. on ebay So the deals are out there, you just need to search a bit... .

Contributing Member
    Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C in Az View Post
    I agree with you. But I also know every time that I have bought the tool in question despite the logic to the contrary, I always comment later that it was worth every penny. The parts come out right the first time and in 1/3 of the time that it took without the right tool.
    You do have a point, I've definately had similar "why didn't I buy this sooner" experiences. Woodward has a decent looking 48" finger brake for $800 shipped. (for me, not Chris)

Liked: 0

Default Cheap 36" Brake

I have this cheap Harbor Freight 36" brake for ~$234
    It's paid for itself, but it is chintzy and really is only good for half of what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by lancer360 View Post
    The only press brakes I have seen are those 3 in 1 machines and most the the reviews have been less than stellar.
    Harbor Freight has a 30" machine that is 3 in 1. I saw it at a friend's house the other day. His has bent 16 gauge sheet metal and it actually works quite well. Well made fingers and thick castings. He paid $399 for his, but he forgot to use the 25% off coupon that is always floating around.

Thread Information