Liked: 1

Default Will P2 actually lower costs?

Given that there seem to be a number of Stohr WF-1's being converted to P2, will P2 actually reduce the cost of fielding a Nationally competitive car?

Liked: 285

"Lower Costs" implies compared to something. What are you using as a reference?

Compared to DSR, I believe the operating costs will be substantially less for a competitive effort, primarily due to the engine restrictions -- stock engines with restrictors, will cost less and last longer than "unlimited development displacement limits" that were in DSR. The restrictors will limit the RPM required to make the maximum power, and as a side benefit this will increase the engine life.

The 2L automotive engines promise even greater longevity than the bike engines and will certainly be understressed relative to their performance potential. While larger in displacement than the DSR 1300cc, (which no one has run for a LONG time, primarily due to the high cost per potential HP), that can allow heavier cars (converted Sports 2000s, and CN cars) to be competitive.

Will the cost be lower than Sports 2000? The running cost may be lower (again engine life), but there is an upfront conversion cost that is much more expensive than most of the existing bike-engined DSRs will require to be P2 compliant.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Grintch View Post
    Given that there seem to be a number of Stohr WF-1's being converted to P2, will P2 actually reduce the cost of fielding a Nationally competitive car?
    To make my first generation Stohr legal for P2, I have to purchase a new floor. At a minimum that's $4,500 for fiberglass and $6,200 for carbon fiber. Not so inexpensive so far.

Feff
    Last edited by Feffman; 03.02.14 at 12:22 PM.

Liked: 285

Wait a minute -- the first generation stohr floor is exactly legal for P2. Has your car be upgraded to tunnel floors?

I'm sure you could have a local fiberglass craftsman modify your existing floor for 1/4th of that cost. Or you could just cut the tunnels out yourself, and run no floor. That would probably require only your time, and a couple of reinforced cutoff wheels.

Have you considered making your own block-offs by riveting on some stiff fiberglass sheets, such as these 3x4' sheets from McMaster-Carr:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8667k32/=qx6lbi
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferguson View Post
    Wait a minute -- the first generation stohr floor is exactly legal for P2. Has your car be upgraded to tunnel floors?
    Yes, the car I bought back in June has the tunneled floor. Stan at Dauntless post on the DSR forum they are doing tunnel blocks.

Feff

Contributing Member
    Liked: 89

Or you could just lay up a couple layers of glass or carbon on a flat surface, and then bond those cured sheets over the tunnels. I just saved you 4500 dollars minus a few sheets of cloth and resin/epoxy.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 270

Default Ist gen floor

I have a first gen floor - really 1st gen off one of the first cars so Its 3/4 " thick and needs a couple of repairs but its useable and might be a cheap deal for someone. I can't see shipping it though - pretty big.

Thread Information