Liked: 247

Default Is adhesive necessary?

I'm in the process of rebuilding my citation and I've been been doing some research on the best way to attach the pan. For other classes it seems that adhesive is necessary to get extra stiffness, but with FV's some have said that there isn't any benefit from using it due to the zero roll.

My question is do you think its necessary and if so why?

Thanks,
    Brian

Liked: 7

No question. YES. Rivets can and will wear away and break. Using a quality adhesive is not difficult nor very time consuming. I would not skimp on the quality of rivets either.

SteveO

Liked: 1403

If you use a good structural adhesive, you question should be are rivets necessary. The adhesive does the real work of attaching the belly pan to the frame. The rivets are there to add peal strength the adhesive does not have.

In short a "rivets only" attachemnt is probably 25% or less of a bonded joint of adhesive and rivets.

Liked: 391

I highly suggest gluing the belly pan on as well. I tried rivets only and they all came loose during the first season. I was constantly drilling and installing new rivets.

The next season I made a new pan that I glued and riveted. After many seasons the rivets are still solid.

I would also highly suggest a second inner tray in the foot box. I made a duplicate belly pan from the front bulkhead, notched to clear the pedals, back to the cross member under the front roll hoop. It has upturned edges so it's riveted to the inside of the frame rails. This way, if the belly pan ever gets peeled back from the underside, the inner tray is independant and should hopefully keep my feet from falling out. I had a belly pan peel back about 3 inches behind the pedals once when I got airborn and sheered it off on the roll hoop of another car. I wasn't too far from having my feet fall out.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 15

I did my Citation about 4 years ago and it was very easy. There are plenty of posts here on Apex. I did use an adhesive that was a 2 part mix from McMaster Carr, search and you can find the name. Also used steel rivets not aluminum.

What made it a lot easier was purchasing Clecos from Pegasus and also purchased a pneumatic rivet gun from Harbor Freight.

4 years later and I have managed to knock the heads off about 1/4 of the rivets but the pan is still secured to the frame. Be sure to prep the frame rail by cleaning and scuffing up to provide adhesion.

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Aluminum pop rivets are ok for screen doors, however Cherrymax rivets are better for structural use.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4353

Quote Originally Posted by B Farnham View Post
    I'm in the process of rebuilding my citation and I've been been doing some research on the best way to attach the pan. For other classes it seems that adhesive is necessary to get extra stiffness, but with FV's some have said that there isn't any benefit from using it due to the zero roll.

My question is do you think its necessary and if so why?

Thanks,
    Brian
    To answer your question .... for performance of the zero-roll suspension, not necessary. It is desirable though, for all the reasons noted.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

from Speed Sport Engineering........

"I would also highly suggest a second inner tray in the foot box."

i like this idea

Liked: 247

Thanks for all of the replies, I really appreciate all of the advise. I'm going to go ahead and order some Hysol adhesive later today.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Sport Engineering View Post
    I would also highly suggest a second inner tray in the foot box. I made a duplicate belly pan from the front bulkhead, notched to clear the pedals, back to the cross member under the front roll hoop. It has upturned edges so it's riveted to the inside of the frame rails. This way, if the belly pan ever gets peeled back from the underside, the inner tray is independant and should hopefully keep my feet from falling out. I had a belly pan peel back about 3 inches behind the pedals once when I got airborn and sheered it off on the roll hoop of another car. I wasn't too far from having my feet fall out.
    That's a very good idea, I'll have to look into adding something like this.

Thanks,
    Brian

Thread Information