Liked: 1

Default March Indy Lights

There is a March Wildcat Indy Lights car for sale on Ebay, it has been listed several times. I have looked at several of these cars in the past but was advised that they were extremely difficult to set-up, (front to rear balance or?). All of the Vintage Indy Lights Cars are Lolas.. Could any advise about the March based Indy light cars that were used in the first pro series about the set-up problem? I have access to a correct Buick V6 to replace the Chevrolet V8 that is currently in the car. Thanks for any information and insight. Jerry

Liked: 27

I had one , built it from a basket case, but never got to drive it. I talked to guys that used to race em, they told me they are tail happy (loose). I was told to put 50# in the nose of the car. The Buick V-6 while very strong is also very heavy. The FGA ring and pinion for sure wouldn't last long with small block power. They have an FGB gearbox with FT200 gears. I still have a few pieces from the car laying around. I think I still have a computer, harness, injection unit.
    God is my pilot, I'm just the loose nut behind the wheel !

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 270

Default March

They were a lot better on the 15" wheels for the last couple of years before the lola. Probably not bad as a historic car
    P

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1486

Thee was certainly some strange aero going on if this is a Mark I (Wildcat) Lights. Similar to an FC car in that they were flatbottom but with a blown diffuser. I've heard people say that some of the loose problem comes from losing the exhaust help if you don't keep you foot in it.

There was something not quite right in the original design of those cars - they looked cool in the introductory photos but when they showed up at the track the rear wing was waaaaaay out back and up - like there was some kind of problem with the wing not getting enough clean air and that was the easy fix.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

hunt up somebody who was on the Arciero Bros. team and see how they tweaked their dominating machine way back then

Liked: 141

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    I've heard people say that some of the loose problem comes from losing the exhaust help if you don't keep you foot in it.
    I know nothing about the March Wildcat but that loss of ground effects was a concern to me when I started running my 1991 Lola F3000 in vintage races (same design of flat bottom + exhaust blown diffuser). After several years running it now all I can say is there was no need to be concerned. It was a problem with young aggressive drivers on ovals in the early Indy Lights series but not on road courses and not with 'normal' amateur drivers in recent years.

YMMV

Liked: 1878

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Poole View Post
    There is a March Wildcat Indy Lights car for sale on Ebay, it has been listed several times. I have looked at several of these cars in the past but was advised that they were extremely difficult to set-up, (front to rear balance or?). All of the Vintage Indy Lights Cars are Lolas.. Could any advise about the March based Indy light cars that were used in the first pro series about the set-up problem? I have access to a correct Buick V6 to replace the Chevrolet V8 that is currently in the car. Thanks for any information and insight. Jerry

I was the March parts rep for these cars back then. Can't give you very much about the setup, other than that we had to make some monster diameter front sway bars, and cone-shaped blades. Also, when using the salisbury diff, you wanted to set the ramps up as 80x45 - the heavy locking under braking to help keep the car from going way loose.

If the car you are talking about is the one listed as Buhls car, run by Leading Edge, you want to talk with Mark Weida since he was the team owner and engineer. Not positive who he works for right now (Sarah Fisher, I think), but can make some calls to locate him for you. You could also talk with Claude Rouelle ( Optimum G seminars) - he engineered Frank Freon out of the back of our shop for a couple years.

And, if I remember correctly, the March did not have a blown diffuser - that started with the first Lola.

somewhere I have pics from the Tamiami Grand Prix in 86-ish, and i remember the mk-1 diffuser had exhaust outlets in it. I'll see if I can dig them up.

However, the car he's looking at is a 2nd gen car (with the big airbox behind the rollbar)

Liked: 1878

I seem to remember being able to see the mufflers sitting atop the diffuser, as well as the outlets. I have some assembly pictures somewhere around here & will try to find them. Could easily be wrong!

You are right Richard, that's how mine was.

Liked: 80

Desire Wilson Phoenix 1986

In those days it was called the ARS (American Racing Series).

I have no further info for this pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DesireWilsonARST4PanPhx86apex.jpg 
Views:	572 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	44628  

I have a couple, one of Billy Boat and another unknown, but alas, none showing the back of the car in detail.

Liked: 268

Default Indy Lights

The March chassis all had exhaust exiting above the diffuser. It's correct that the Lola's had the "blown diffusers".

Liked: 309

What and with whom are you running these days, Jerry? I always loved your Ralt with the Mercedes V-12.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Contributing Member
    Liked: 93

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    What and with whom are you running these days, Jerry? I always loved your Ralt with the Mercedes V-12.
    Stan, I believe that was a BMW V12.

You could be right, Ted.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 141

Pics -

Yes, guys it is a BMW V12 but it has been installed in a March 87B F3000 chassis which is quite a bit different than the Indy Lights chassis. BMW's magazine "Roundel" featured it a few months ago.It's to big to submit but if anybody is interested I would be glad to send the file to you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	race car motor.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	44756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	March full front-20121026-053417.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	44757  

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Kehoe View Post
    Yes, guys it is a BMW V12 but it has been installed in a March 87B F3000 chassis which is quite a bit different than the Indy Lights chassis. BMW's magazine "Roundel" featured it a few months ago.It's to big to submit but if anybody is interested I would be glad to send the file to you.
    PM sent...
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

The March Indy Lights car derived from the 85B F3000 car.

I recall talking to Sandy Dells when he had the march Lights cars and in his opinion the handling was mostly the results of the iron lump combined with a short wheelbase that made them so spooky. The later Lolas had a much longer wheelbase and even though the motor was basically the same and far superior downforce than the March which is why I never heard anyone complain about these cars. This is probably the only car I would consider replacing mine with considering my budget.

Thread Information