Liked: 190

Default Formula First NZ Action

New video posted on the FST Facebook page a few day ago by Robert Clark.

Onboard with Rowan Shepard at Hampton Downs in New Zealand

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q1pMDKpwhM
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 302

Nice race.

Bill, noticed what appeared to be a link pin front beam on the winner. Curious, I went to the NZ first website but could find no link to rules. Search comes up only with an article written by you, but no date, which seems to imply the NZ cars have link pin front beams, and are allowed to cut them for camber. It also implies the brakes are drums. Is this correct? Link pin beams and drum brakes? Is the article old and changes have occurred?

Looking at the pics and from your article, I do see wide five bolt pattern with the custom wheels from your article. It appears these cars are Z bar cars with two shock/springs.

However, there is a bastard or two that appears in the pics. Different wheels and what appears to be zero roll. Are there two classes?

Last question, at the time you wrote the article, any manifold and 2 solex 28 or 2 brazillian 30 carbs were allowed. Do they / were they using the 1200cc engine?

Edit: I went to the website referenced in your article, Sabre. At least now it is zero roll but what appears to be the drum brakes. Interesting, <$4000 USD for a kit including chassis, body, and suspension for the "Sabre Vee 1200".

Thanks,
    Barry

Barry,

Article was written right after my trip to NZ in 2000, so it's 14 years old.

They still use the LP beam, but they have allowed many mods. Disc brakes on all (4) wheels with alloy 13" wheels. Twin carbs, open intake manifolds and dry sump.

Here is the web site for Formula First NZ: http://www.formulafirst.co.nz/

Your right, can't find a link to specific rules
    Bill Bonow

Bill,

OK, thanks for the info. I notice most cars in the gallery pictures have wide 5 wheels, but not VW wheels. Then you see just a few cars with what like a spoked 4 bolt wheel. Since they still use the link pin beam I'm really curious* if they are using aftermarket spindles and what they are using for brakes.

*which killed the cat. maybe I should just not be so curious.

Barry,

Think there are still a number of cars using drums. In a few of those photos, you can clearly see disc brakes. Remember, they are using really crappy (read extremely long life) street radials that simply have no grip. That means nowhere close to the g-loading seen here in the US with sticky slicks. It also means the difference in braking performance (disc to drum) is pretty much zero.

Watch/listen to some of those videos. Those engines are making good power. Those guys are running fans as well. I'd bet they are north of 80 hp with 1200 (40 hp) engines
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 530

nice drive! man the draft sure make a difference, great timing and use of it

Barry,

Found a couple of photos that explains a little about our Kiwi FV mates.

The first is a car with 4 lug wheels and disc brakes (looks pretty nice)
    Second is a set of custom link pin spindle assemblies that look to be pretty heavy duty
    Third is a NZ First with body removed to show they are allowing rack steering and drum brakes.
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 08.01.16 at 12:39 PM.
    Bill Bonow

Bill,

Pretty interesting. I know I read somewhere about the dual carb and unrestricted manifold which is interesting. And I think I read something about 70+hp.

It does seem odd that with everything else they have freed up they stay with the 1200.

I believe I have seen spindles like those advertised for the off road dudes, that prefer KP's over BJ's for strength reasons. I know you can get CM torsion arms, but they are longer than the standard VW.

You are right, the 4 bolt wheels on that car really look nice. The whole car looks nice.

More than one way to skin a cat.

Thanks, much appreciated,
    Barry

Oh, they can keep the left hand shifting down under...

They have both left and right hand shifting cars. The Kestrel that I drove in 2000 had right hand shift.
    Bill Bonow

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 432

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    They have both left and right hand shifting cars. The Kestrel that I drove in 2000 had right hand shift.
    Plus they shift with their left hand in their street cars

Graham.

Plus they shift with their left hand in their street cars
    Been there, done that, driving through Ireland about 30 years ago.
    No problem, except when there is an emergency situation your instincts are backwards...

Good looking car Bill. I really like that rear paint

Liked: 830

If these guys are still using 1200 cc VW engines .. what are they using for Pistons and Cylinders ??
    Steve, FV80

Default NZ P & C's

Steve,

I got no clue, but my bet is that they are using whatever they can get. I do know they have been using modified or custom 1200 parts for the past decade or so.

Here is a new chassis from NZ that I had not seen before
    Bill Bonow

Given the modifications to everything else, I would imagine they have no problem using the Chinese made piston/cylinders.

Pretty neat use of the original FV VW parts group I think.

Thread Information