Contributing Member a. pettipas's Avatar
    Liked: 84

Default Canadian F2000 Championship

aaron

Liked: 442

Maybe ontario f2000 championship would be a more accurate name.

Senior Member Jean-Sebastien Stoezel's Avatar
    Liked: 15

Indeed.

I've also heard people calling Ontario F1200 Champions "National F1200 Champions", which is somehow true since they only run F1200 in Ontario. Anywhere else (Western Canada for instance) it's referred to as FV. A bit like Monster Jam World Finals...

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    Maybe ontario f2000 championship would be a more accurate name.
    ----------------------------
    Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
    Western Canada Motorsport Association (WCMA)
    FV #0

Face it fellas, you live in road racing hinterland, as do I, no sense complaining... you travel to race in a series with good competition or you don't.
    aaron

Well when we all want to have a real Canadian Championship race we can meet you all in Gimli. With a promise of free beer we could probably scratch together 10-12 F2000s from our end of the country.

And after reading the article again its not called the Canadian F2000 Championship so I have no idea what we are talking about.
    Last edited by RSS; 02.08.14 at 7:44 PM.

Liked: 145

R.....save me a spot in the potato for a day truck if we are going to gimli to kick A ....... Nothing like an merican in a French car to add some flavo

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    And after reading the article again its not called the Canadian F2000 Championship so I have no idea what we are talking about.
    No one said it was called the Canadian f2 championship... my heading in the OP was meant as a reference to the f2 championship that will take place on Canadian soil in 2014; I have not heard what the the series will be officially named yet.
    aaron

Greg I think we have enough trouble with the french we already have here. (Checks over shoulder for francohone wife)

Well if we are ever in Ontario with the car on a race weekend count us in.

Liked: 3

I'd go buy another for a Gimli run-off

Ever seen this Roger?

Think how many cars are around now..........

http://www.autocourse.ca/index.php?file=results.html
    later Gord
    BTW...only toilets need doors
    www.blurredvisionracing.com

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 53

Does anybody know where I can go or who to call to get more information such as entry fee's, what the tire rule etc. Thanks.
    Group-A Racing
    Blue Marble Cocktails Radical Cup & Exclusive North East Radical Sports Car Dealer
    (631) 974-4379
    www.GroupARacingTeam.com

Contributing Member
    Liked: 19

Default Great link

Thanks for posting the link Gord. Brought bunch of great memories.

BTW, do you know the Canadian driver Doug Titus (raced in the 70 and 80s) - from the Toronto area I think.

Jeff W

Liked: 7

Default FF2000

Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    Does anybody know where I can go or who to call to get more information such as entry fee's, what the tire rule etc. Thanks.

jasons@movemotorsports.com
    J-Guy

Claude Bourbonnais won a fairly astonishing $96,500 on his way to the 1989 Export A Canadian FF2000 Championship… the good old days when smokes money was flowing liberally… and that has to be the top-grossing 87SF - and most likely F2000 in general - ever!
    aaron

Contributing Member

Default Export A series

Bourbonnais and Vandal were sponsored by Export A - the series sponsor - so liberal amounts of cash and a cast of thousands. Very professional team. And obviously the Reynards were the cars to have. The team also had a geeky guy who wore Stetson and collected........data. Who knew?

JeffW

Liked: 3787

The Captain and I were sitting here in the swamp thinking...

What if the Canadian Series and the F2KCS were to have an agreement where one race in the 'other' series would count for points in the competitor's home series.

That way the Maple Leafs could enter one of the WGI events (so every one of their races doesn't have to be at Mosport), and US competitors without drunk driving convictions could go to Mosport and drive one of the greatest tracks in North America.

just saying... YMMV

Not to say the Reynard was not a great car....they are....but lets not forget that after the 85 year of domination by some old guy in a Swift.....the rules got changed to mandate different body work on the rear of the Swift taking away a bit of the advantage and paving the way for the Reynard years.....when they got changed back the 89 Db3 was disallowed due to front axel relative to foot position......maybe by the same person.....and thus was born the DB-6 which dominated.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Quote Originally Posted by gcoffin View Post
    Not to say the Reynard was not a great car....they are....but lets not forget that after the 85 year of domination by some old guy in a Swift.....the rules got changed to mandate different body work on the rear of the Swift taking away a bit of the advantage and paving the way for the Reynard years.....when they got changed back the 89 Db3 was disallowed due to front axel relative to foot position......maybe by the same person.....and thus was born the DB-6 which dominated.
    The biggest advantage that DB3 had was the old guy driving. After Bob Smith conquered all in 85, he found other things to do instead. He was a "shoe".
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

You were there mate.....I have the car.... And my mate just purchased what we think is the second Esso car.....back together after 28 years, what were the odds

Quote Originally Posted by gcoffin View Post
    You were there mate.....I have the car.... And my mate just purchased what we think is the second Esso car.....back together after 28 years, what were the odds
    The ESSO-Powell team made a deal to run RK Smith in a second car so they could get the new Swift for Peter Lockhart, one of the top drivers in the Series. Little did they know. By the time Peter got it figured out, Smith was coasting to the championship.
    He was just as fast in the Corvettes that Powell ran him in later, but struggled in the enduros after dark. Nice guy too. Still looked good at the 40th BP.

The late-80s was a cool time to be involved in that Series. Much like the Formula Atlantic days before, there were a lot of people moving through who would make it, and were having a good time getting there.

Here you go memory-lane-tripping oldsters… conveniently came up on FB this morning

1985?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    aaron

Liked: 2

Default 85 Reynard

Wow those 85 Reynards were so bad that one is qualified 7th out of at least 25 granted there are some at the back but so is a DB3.

Quote Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
    Wow those 85 Reynards were so bad that one is qualified 7th out of at least 25 granted there are some at the back but so is a DB3.
    The DB3 at the back was Smith, who qualified on pole, had a problem on the grid, started last, then won by 16 seconds.

The only reason there were any 85 Reynards out there, were that the works Reynard team could not find any older cars to use. That was Race 1, and they had already parked some 85s in favor of whatever 84(and 83s) they could dig up. Spenard was always entered as an 85 but I don't remember if he ever raced one.
    Last edited by problemchild; 02.11.14 at 10:40 AM.

Liked: 160

Default 85 Reynards

I don't remember exactly, but I think you will find the 85 Reynard was driven by Betrand Fabi, he would have qualified about there in a 10 year old Crossle 33F. He was special, and such a tragedy when he lost his life. He should have made the big time.

Quote Originally Posted by David Clubine View Post
    I don't remember exactly, but I think you will find the 85 Reynard was driven by Betrand Fabi, he would have qualified about there in a 10 year old Crossle 33F. He was special, and such a tragedy when he lost his life. He should have made the big time.
    Fabi was in England by then. He had endured the 84 VD, as the David racing team were good at choosing the wrong car. The 85 shown was Sylvain Perigny who did two races and quit.

Liked: 302

Neat picture with the big eyes on the billboard looking from behind.

Liked: 160

Fabi was in England by then. He had endured the 84 VD, as the David racing team were good at choosing the wrong car. The 85 shown was Sylvain Perigny who did two races and quit.

Ah yes, you are correct Greg, I was a year out. I remember Bertrand using a less than stellar car for the year, and then moving to a 84 Reynard for the runoffs and doing very well with it.

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Quote Originally Posted by BLS View Post
    Neat picture with the big eyes on the billboard looking from behind.

Liked: 3

Any chance of Rice Racing participating in the Canadian version of F2000 ?

John B.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B View Post
    Any chance of Rice Racing participating in the Canadian version of F2000 ?

John B.
    Too soon to tell. The great part about our border location is having two dozen good events to choose from every year. Narrowing it down to a dozen is tough!

I'm sure I'm not the only one waiting to find out the tire rule.

BTW .... that Honda billboard has been there since atleast 1984 and usually gets modified with bloodshot features by the first night of a Pro weekend.

Liked: 8

Default Doug Titus and RK

Both ran out of our shop. RK was a great guy; quick and tidy driver. He was engineered by John Hayes, a super guy. He and his brother Rick were super smart and I learned a lot about them

Titus ran out of our shop as well. I lost track of him; last I knew he was counsel for DeHavilland aircraft prior to their sale to Boeing. I remember "installing" toilet paper on the cockpit handles Doug had on his March Atlantic....on the grid for Trois Riviers.....

AND, if you remove the letters "U" from Doug's first and last name, you will know what his car was lettered for the GP one year.....he was soooo easily upset!

John Hayes was one of the smartest guys I have ever met in motor racing. And a PRINCE of a guy! Does anybody know where he ended up? I know Rick was running Lites a few years ago.

And RK had a team mate in the first two years. A fellow from Florida. Nice dude, tore up a LOT of race car parts and just LOVED LIFE!!! He used to pay each week in cash.....turns out he was the "Gentleman Bandit" from Florida....his name escapes me right now.

Ahhh memories!
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Liked: 977

I ran into John at Daytona 24 he was engineering for PR1 on the spec car.

Quote Originally Posted by brownslane View Post
    Both ran out of our shop. RK was a great guy; quick and tidy driver. He was engineered by John Hayes, a super guy. He and his brother Rick were super smart and I learned a lot about them

Titus ran out of our shop as well. I lost track of him; last I knew he was counsel for DeHavilland aircraft prior to their sale to Boeing. I remember "installing" toilet paper on the cockpit handles Doug had on his March Atlantic....on the grid for Trois Riviers.....

AND, if you remove the letters "U" from Doug's first and last name, you will know what his car was lettered for the GP one year.....he was soooo easily upset!

John Hayes was one of the smartest guys I have ever met in motor racing. And a PRINCE of a guy! Does anybody know where he ended up? I know Rick was running Lites a few years ago.

And RK had a team mate in the first two years. A fellow from Florida. Nice dude, tore up a LOT of race car parts and just LOVED LIFE!!! He used to pay each week in cash.....turns out he was the "Gentleman Bandit" from Florida....his name escapes me right now.

Ahhh memories!
    You are confusing RK Smith with John Dekker.

Liked: 3787

I lost track of Hayes after the season ended in 2005 with John turning the wrenches on Jay Howard's car under the Aiken Racing tent. They basically swept the F2000 series that year.
    On my way to the 05 Runoffs, I stopped in Cumming GA and John spent a few hours with my Tatuus on the scale pad. Wow!
    I heard he was maybe in Colorado. A setup genius.

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    You are confusing RK Smith with John Dekker.

My Bad. Absolutely correct. It was Dekker. Their sponsor was a bar in Colorado "after the gold rush" as I remember..... Dekker was a good driver!
    Tom Owen

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    I lost track of Hayes after the season ended in 2005 with John turning the wrenches on Jay Howard's car under the Aiken Racing tent. They basically swept the F2000 series that year.
    On my way to the 05 Runoffs, I stopped in Cumming GA and John spent a few hours with my Tatuus on the scale pad. Wow!
    I heard he was maybe in Colorado. A setup genius.
    Colorado was home for John. You are right about his skills/knowledge. Super detailed, super smart! And a cut-throat when it comes to the rule book
    Tom Owen

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Bourbonnais and Vandal were sponsored by Export A - the series sponsor - so liberal amounts of cash and a cast of thousands. Very professional team. And obviously the Reynards were the cars to have. The team also had a geeky guy who wore Stetson and collected........data. Who knew?

JeffW
    I did not wear a stetson and did a lot more than "collect data"
    What a season to remember. We won every pole, led every lap, and won every race.
    A season never to be duplicated!

Contributing Member

Default data collecting and more

Well CDS (or whoever you are) clearly you did more than collect data - the results speak for themselves. Back then, having someone on a team collecting and interpreting data was, in my perspective at the time - pretty radical. As your logo says get results not just collect data. I think I need you on my team.

JeffW

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Well CDS (or whoever you are) clearly you did more than collect data - the results speak for themselves. Back then, having someone on a team collecting and interpreting data was, in my perspective at the time - pretty radical. As your logo says get results not just collect data. I think I need you on my team.

JeffW
    We had a lot of fun in that series. The level of competition in 89 was unbelievable thanks to all the Export Eh money. I believe there were 62 entries for the season opener at Shannonville. With the standing start there were several rows of cars that started in the hairpin!.

Not only was every race televised across Canada, the final qual on Saturday was also live.
    Truly the "gilded age" of F2000.

-Peter Kelly

Thread Information