Liked: 43

Default Stealth, Bravo, or Diamond Enclosed Trailer -- Opinions

I am looking at purchasing an enclosed trailer to replace my open trailer in the next few weeks. I'd appreciate any input on quality or any other general recommendations people may have. I've found shopping for trailers very confusing. There is a huge number of manufactures and lots of junk on the market.

I am really looking the best "value for money" trailer in a 7 x 16 (V front) or 7 x 18 flat front.

I have basically narrowed down my search to the following 7 x 16 (v-front) trailers;

1) Stealth Liberty Special Edition @ $7100 CAD (with Torsion Axle)
    (http://www.stealthtrailer.com/produc...N-SERIES--SLLE)

2) Diamond Cargo @ $6650 CAD (without Torsion) or $7000 (with torsion)
    (http://diamondcargo.com/)

3) Bravo Star @ $7300 (without Torsion) -- (Shipping really kills the price of these - otherwise nice)
    (http://bravotrailers.com/products/star#section-content)

All the best!

Alex
    1972 Mallock MK12 F3 (ex-Ray Mallock / Alf Zeller)

https://www.facebook.com/ZellerRacing

Liked: 96

Did you happen to notice this thread from December?

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61571

If you look deeper in the Trailer & Towing section, there are more of these helpful discussions.
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Liked: 174

Alex,

I'm in same boat as you but I'm looking at 24' or 26' trailers. There are so many manufacturers or dealers that sell obscure brands it can really confuse someone.
    I would recommend that you don't get the 3500 lb axles, but rather the 5200 lb axles
    listed as options. Also, for the money they're asking for those 16' footers, you should
    get vinyl walls and ceilings included based on what I've seen for sale elsewhere. Also
    make sure the roof is flat and is of one piece which will lower the chance of leakage.
    I Have a narrower trailer, but would get the wider 8' (?) trailer if available and add the
    weight distribution bars and sway bar to your package when purchasing!

Good luck with your purchase and let us know what you ended up buying!

Mark

88' Citation 002'
    02' Citation 002'

Quote Originally Posted by Beartrax View Post
    Did you happen to notice this thread from December?

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61571

If you look deeper in the Trailer & Towing section, there are more of these helpful discussions.
    Yes, that's how I got clued into Bravo Trailers.

I was really trying to get opinions on Stealth and Diamond Trailers. Diamond trailers in particular. Not much useful information on the web about these.

Cheers

Contributing Member northarrowracing's Avatar
    Liked: 36

Default Shopping for a trailer caution

Can I just add something? When you are looking at trailers from a company (not a local dealer) that is maybe not well known, beware. I was looking for a lightweight open aluminum trailer a couple years ago and almost bought one from a firm in Virginia. Really nice looking trailers at a good price but they wanted a good size deposit and a waiting period I wasn't comfortable with. Lucky for me I found a nice model at a local dealer in stock for a fair price. Turned out the Virginia operation went belly up and skipped town with a lot of peoples money and never really got around to building many trailers. Unless you want something custom most dealers have plenty to choose from in stock. There are a couple dealers near us who have over a hundred models in stock on the ground. Just saying!
    Good luck
    Ric

Liked: 803

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    ...was really trying to get opinions on Stealth and Diamond Trailers. Diamond trailers in particular. Not much useful information on the web about theseā€¦
    that alone might be part of the answer you are looking for :-)

I've bought a few brands, and been associated with several others, and cannot stress enough that cheaping out on a trailer is not going to make you happy in the long run.

Liked: 3292

Default Back in the day...

I bought my current special-order Wells Cargo trailer in 1989 through a dealer near Akron, OH.

Back then there was no Internet, so I just called around and looked at ads. I went with the only make I knew anything about that I could afford.

The trailer has not been perfect, and I've had to fix some stuff, but considering it is now 25 years old and still in pretty good shape, I can't complain.

Guess I was lucky.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 174

Dave,

Did you get it from Majestic near the blimp hanger? I've paid them a visit but have
    continued to look.

So who knows?

Mark

88' Citation 002
    02' Citation 002

Liked: 530

www.freedomtrailerllc.com

rednecks in GA sure can build a good trailer! I paid 60% of what you're saying it's going to cost in the original post! 16x8 dual axle, custom height reduced 6" no extra charge, slant v-nose no extra charge dual torsion axles, electric brakes, recessed e-track in the floor.

it took about 2 weeks from order to pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    www.freedomtrailerllc.com

rednecks in GA sure can build a good trailer! I paid 60% of what you're saying it's going to cost in the original post! 16x8 dual axle, custom height reduced 6" no extra charge, slant v-nose no extra charge dual torsion axles, electric brakes, recessed e-track in the floor.

it took about 2 weeks from order to pickup.
    That's the frustrating part about all this!!! It's the shipping that really hurts. Shipping of the Diamond Trailer is around $2000 from Georgia, plus the exchange rate penalty. They seem fairly comparable to Freedom Trailers you quoted.

road trip! or resort to buying one used closer to you.. it's ridiculous to pay 50% more for something just to get it to your door..

one word of caution, do not splurge extra for diamond plate covering on walls or floor or ramp.. the stuff these budget trailer places use is so thin it will be wavy and unappealing in short time.

Liked: 8

Default Repeating myself

I absolutely agree with the road trip. I drove to Arkansas to pick up my 34 footer. It was a great trip, lots to see, and saved me about $5Grand after all my expenses. No problem getting back across the border with a bill of sale. I just hauled it home with my plate off the other trailer.

You can't have it all, great pricing, super construction, and close to Ottawa....there is just so little demand in Canada for enclosed trailers (we are 10% of US sales)...there is just no economy of scale, let alone the increased tax burden and costs of heating throughout the winter.

I bought my 34 foot Pace with all the toys. Freshly painted in urethane, extra height, beavertail, triple axles, extended ramp door, 110V and 12V lighting kits, external lighting, cabinets, long tongue, 40 inch side door, even a couple of pit pal products.....paid a third of its value. Oh ya, it had new trailer tires (all 6) and new hub bearings. Drove to Ar, picked up the trailer, drove to Texas, picked up a car and drove to Milwaukee...about 1,800 miles with no problems. Then home to Canada. Three years later still not one problem (well, actually one flat tire)

34 feet is a lot of trailer and I am not suggesting that is right for you, but if you are willing to travel to pick up your purchase (highly recommended), then you can cut a great deal. Good used trailers from the southwest where there is little precipitation, no winter hauling and a still depressed economy (IMO) constitutes a perfect storm for purchases of this kind.

Take a look through racingjunk.com and keep looking...it might take a little time (took me 6 weeks) but the right deal will show.

And Dave proves that a good trailer, treated right, will last a long time.

Best of luck and if you need any help with importing into Canada just PM me; I import things most every couple of weeks. A word to the wise; DO NOT LIE to CBSA.....unless you enjoy cavity searches the rest of your life

Best of luck!
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Liked: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    That's the frustrating part about all this!!! It's the shipping that really hurts. Shipping of the Diamond Trailer is around $2000 from Georgia, plus the exchange rate penalty. They seem fairly comparable to Freedom Trailers you quoted.

Alex, drive down there and pick it up yourself and save half the shipping costs....and you will meet the trailer guys, have a tour, they'll help you hook up, and then have a nice comfortable drive home.

Or pay lots more for an unknown quality trailer from a small builder closer to home.
    These things are NOT commodities; quality in construction materials, techniques and methods vary widely; I have only purchased Pace or Haulmark in all my 30 years of trailer ownership for that reason. Never buy from an unknown builder unless they are recommended by someone who owns one of their products.

Caveat Emptor truly applies in trailer purchases.

Best of luck, Tom
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4353

I'm in the Buffalo area and shopped quite extensively and explored various options.
    It was the same or cheaper to buy from a high volume dealer in Buffalo than to go get a trailer from Indiana or South Georgia .... BEFORE factoring in my time and wear-n-tear on a tow vehicle. The super cheap E-bay trailers were comparably priced to what I could buy locally, once I factored in the transport.

As I posted on another thread, I just did not see any difference in quality between economy brands of trailers. They are just thrown together with the same crappy parts from the same suppliers. My name brand trailer with Dexter axles was a POS. I would prefer to buy trailers off a lot so that I can check out which way the axles are pointed.

Keep in mind that my comments are directed at the small economy trailers such as Alex is shopping for. I would not have the same approach for buying a bigger more serious trailer.
    I am quite happy with a 18 X 7 Vee-nose Cross trailer I purchased.

My local trailer dealers sell a lot of trailers to Canadians and are quite helpful with required paperwork, etc. If I was Alex, I would be exploring trailer dealers just south of the St Lawrence. A couple hour drive may be all that's required.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Default Thanks for the input!

Thanks for the input guys. It is appreciated!

I wish I did had the time to drive down to Georgia (or other US state) to pick up a trailer. I with a crazy busy work schedule and a 8 month old baby I barely have enough time to eat lunch most days. I am normally the type to put in the sweat equity vs pay more money for something -- This is probably why I find this so frustrating.

However, reading between the lines, those off-brand Georgia trailers are often not too bad, and perhaps worth serious consideration.

Greg: good advice on checking wheel/axle alignment. I'll be sure to do that before any money changes hands!

I go have a closer look at the Stealth and Diamond trailers this Saturday. I've already dedicated too much brain power to this exercise and I'm keen to cross this off my to-do list. I have a feeling that when all said and done I'll be happy with ether option.

I hope to emulate Dave...by a decent trailer once, take care of it, and use it for years!!

Thanks again guys.

Cheers, Alex

Liked: 3292

Quote Originally Posted by Amon View Post
    Did you get it from Majestic near the blimp hanger? I've paid them a visit but have continued to look.
    So who knows?
    I ordered it in 1988 from a place called

Cargo Carriers
    5600 Akron-Cleveland Road
    Hudson, OH 44236

IIRC, it was ~$5300 with the aero aid "nose cone." That was the same as the price directly from W.C. in Elkhart, IN, and I only had to drive to the local lot to pick it up.

The phone #'s are so old they are 216 area code. In this location, area codes are now 330.
    Office: 216-928-8003
    Lot: 216-650-2229

I doubt they are still in business.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Contributing Member
    Liked: 26

Look for a company called INTECH Trailers, the are in Indiana. I have dealt with them on a 28' custom stacker... sort of. Anyway, very good quality, attention to detail, Aluminum trailer and they have a guy who can deliver in the USA or Canada. ask for a chap by the name of Casey if you call them. their agent in Ontario is a guy named Ron at The Trailer Shop. nice guy, knows a ton about trailers, he may even have a good used intech on his lot.

link

http://www.intechtrailers.com/motorsports-trailers.php

Trailer shop link

http://www.thetrailershop.net/
    Last edited by Blair Robertshaw; 02.04.14 at 4:01 PM.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

My Wells is a 1985 model, sits outside and is still in excellent condition. Some wear items like brake shoes and magnets have been replaced, but everything still works great and no leaks, Would not consider another brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Blair Robertshaw View Post
    Look for a company called INTECH Trailers, the are in Indiana. I have dealt with them on a 28' custom stacker... sort of. Anyway, very good quality, attention to detail, Aluminum trailer and they have a guy who can deliver in the USA or Canada. ask for a chap by the name of Casey if you call them. their agent in Ontario is a guy named Ron at The Trailer Shop. nice guy, knows a ton about trailers, he may even have a good used intech on his lot.

link

http://www.intechtrailers.com/motorsports-trailers.php

Trailer shop link

http://www.thetrailershop.net/

I have trailer envy now.. one day I'll be able to afford such luxury!

Liked: 1

Default Trailer

Alex...you have a PM

Dan

Thread Information