Thread: Scuttlebutt

Contributing Member crowe motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 34

Default Scuttlebutt

F1000 Championship East West scuttle butt.

The East Series starts in less than 60 days.

East: Road Atlanta March 22
    West: Thunderhill April 12

So who wants to announce their plans?

JR Osborn in his Citation was blistering quick at the ARRC in November and also set a new track record at the Sebring winter nationals in John Paul's borrowed Citation.

Jason Bell purchased John Paul's Citation after Sebring. Brandon and Wren (the Citation guru's) rebuilt this car for Brandon to drive at the Runoffs so it should be on pace.

Jason Bell has very new Stohr that may be for sale and he has a teammate (Dore) coming on board with his Stohr as well.

Is Alex Mayer and dad Nick coming back after selling their car that did very well in 2013.

Thielmann came out of Go Karts and now has the taste of F1000 with his Van Diemen debut in 2013. I think he is in a new JDR for this year. His Van Diemen is for sale at a steal. Jeremy Hill has put his Van Diemen on the front row qualifying for the Runoffs the last 2 or 3 years and is always quick. Marchand is installing BMW power in his VD. Us Van Diemen guys will hopefully show what we can do in 2014.

Cooper will probably have the latest and greatest Firman stuff since he basically wrote his car off at the Runoffs. Glen is always quick.

I hear Lavertys Citation recently went to Virginia. It was in F1000 trim so we may have a new entry???

Loshack will surely have an incentive to make some appearances or do the whole season after an incredible debut into F1000 last year by winning it all.

Jake Latham in his Stohr may have new Kawasaki power and all the Stohr developments. Wayne Felch of Stohr I am sure has been making a lot of new go fast stuff for the Stohr. Lucian was quick at the Runoffs in his Stohr with some new development pieces. I drove Stohr WF-1's for several years and Wayne Felch builds incredible cars and aero pieces. Stohrs will only get quicker with his developments.

Dan Robinson has been on medical leave and we hope he gets back in the seat of his Van Diemen in 2014. I have some of his development aero parts on my car that we hope will take the Van Diemen to a new level.

Jason Slahor and dad Gary found new speed secrets at the ARRC in November in their Van Diemen. With the Mike Devins HRP Van Diemen aero package they are on pace.

Alastair in his Phoenix won at the Winter Palm Beach National and Brett Lane in his Van Diemen showed up after taking over a year off and won as well.

I hear Jerry Hodges may have sold 5 or more JDR's after the Runoffs. I know Roger Cook ran his new JDR at the Fontana nationals in California recently. Thielmann's are in. Who else?

I think their are a few Citations under some percentage of construction? We have JRO, Bell. Who else?

I hear a Mygale F1000 conversion is coming.

Phoenix builds a great car and have a new car? Who is in?

RFR has a new improved car with several cars already on track. Nicholas has some nice cars that are available for sale.

What other cars are coming out and who will be new to F1000?

Then we have the engine war which looks to be the tried and true GSXR and the Kawasaki package. The BMW rumor mill is always there and a few capable people have tried to outsmart the stock ECU. Past efforts were all abandoned. But someone may get lucky.

There are many drivers in different chassis that are capable of winning in any event in 2014.
    Last edited by crowe motorsports; 01.27.14 at 7:40 PM.

Liked: 702

I know the answer to some of those questions but I'm not sure if I can divulge...

Anyway, don't forget about both the Carbir and Galmer F1000 cars that were announced at the Runoffs.

I'm a little surprised that only one car is registered for the Road Atlanta races so far.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Liked: 8

Default Registered ATL

Registered Tonight That Makes 2
    Last edited by Jasonrmbell; 01.04.15 at 9:12 PM.
    Jason Bell
    STOHR 2013
    F1000
    f1000bwracing@highwaysystemsinc.com

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Michael, good job on the report.
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Default Scuttle butt in F1000

More scuttle butt

The Novak Piper is reported sold. Who?

Steve Lathrop had reported they were or have built a new chassis for FF, F2 and FB. I think I recall Brandon telling me at the Runoffs that they have a new chassis that is stiffer and he showed me some rear bodywork that was a piece of art for the Citation. Could Brandon change his plans and come back to F1000 versus going F2000?

Charles Livingston registered for Road Atlanta from St. Louis will be in a JDR. Who else?

I will be at Road Atlanta. Last years F1000 series event at Road Atlanta was a great event. We all had fun, the series party was great and we even had F1000 pit girls roaming the pits and the podium celebration courtesy of Alastair. The more the merrier.

Mike B. are you back this year in your Van Diemen?

So keep the scuttle butt going. What's in your wallet.....I mean trailer?
    Last edited by crowe motorsports; 01.28.14 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Changed JDR Hamilton name to Livingston

Liked: 80

I'll include some west coast scuttlebutt.

Spent a lot of time this winter trying to get my car on pace with the other cars - addressed almost every area of the car, we'll see if it pays off or not. Hoping to run as much of the pro series as I can this year, funds depending.

Jose is in for another round of the west coast series, and I believe JRO will be staying on the west coast to prepare for the Laguna Runoffs.

Luci has reportedly sold his car and is out. Rod Rice will be back with yet more updates/improvements from Jesse Brittsan/BRD. Larry should be back after a season-ending crash last year, in what we suspect will be his new Phoenix-Chassis-Vollum-Body car.

I suspect the Astra folks will be back with some improvements to their reliability, and I'd guess they will be very quick on short/tight tracks. With Steve Ott driving, it could be a skateboard and he'd still go fast.

LaBrie will be out in his spankin' new car, and, I would assume Gary Hickman as well, to see what the new Phoenix can show.

Going to be an exciting year!

-Jake
    Last edited by JakeL; 01.31.14 at 3:42 PM. Reason: Clarification

Liked: 66

Hey guys.

As usual, Mr. Latham is spot-on. Bummer to hear that Lucian is out, though. Perhaps he will surprise us and come back to play...

We're looking to run the entire USF1000 West Coast Series in our new Phoenix, which we'll be taking delivery of sometime soon.

Nice write-up, Michael. Sounds like everyone's been quite active this winter.

It's going to be a heck of a year!

John

Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

I could be in for 2 or 3 races this year on the West Coast (Seattle, Ridge, maybe Portland) plus the runoffs in a dusted off RFR. Depends on if I can put the right deal/support package in place. Spent the off season working out losing some weight and getting back into shape for the season. Could be my last one ever driving.

Nice write up Michael.

Liked: 84

So.....I sold my perfect Citation to Jason Bell (still on the fence about that move) and bought (sight unseen, don't ever do that) "Yoda", Laverty's (god ugly bodywork) Citation. Yoda requires work to get up to speed (what a mess , thanks Rob!). So I decided to just build a brand new Citation/Kawi with the latest and greatest 2014 Chassis and probably just scavenge Yoda as spares or maybe slowly put it back together "properly". In the meantime I'm secured a nice race ready Stohr WF1 and will run P1 until the new Citation is done. Hopefully I'll have it completed in time for the runoffs and can bring both cars to Leguna.......maybe have someone hustle it to the top of the podium.....
    Oh, some more scuttlebutt (ridiculous word!).... just went on DLBracing.com to register for the Sebring regional next week and came across one Joel Haas registered in FB with a 2010 Red Nova/Piper........One more Florida FB! Welcome Bud, that's one sick car.
    Edit, more scuttlebutt:
    I predict that there will be someone from the past rejoining FB ......
    Last edited by JohnPaul; 02.02.14 at 2:11 PM. Reason: more scuttlebutt
    "If you're not driving on the edge you're taking up too much space.... "

Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
    just went on DLBracing.com to register for the Sebring regional next week and came across one Joel Haas registered in FB with a 2010 Red Nova/Piper........One more Florida FB! Welcome Bud, that's one sick car.
    Nice detective work!

Liked: 279

Quote Originally Posted by Brian.Novak View Post
    Nice detective work!
    Yes, nice detective work.

Deposit paid. Jay Novak was nice enough to commit to bringing the car down to the Sebring race. If everything checks out (from everything I hear it’s a great car…….and Jay seems like a great guy) on Friday I will complete the purchase and do the race on the weekend.

Since I’m old and slow, you guys will have another FB to pass on a regular basis…..I will try to stay out of your way.
    Ciao,

Joel
    Piper DF-5 F1000

Liked: 444

Joel, good to hear another FB is in the south. I'm sure you will be more than happy with Jay and Brian's work. We should have Bills FB ready for Sebring. Look forward to seeing you.

Liked: 14

Joel, welcome to FB, that is one hell of a car, best thing is that Jay is always available to go over any questions, enjoy.

@ JP, Yoda is a diamond in the rough after all? I was always interested in that car since it was an affordable price of admission to the Citation Fraternitycult I'm starting to not like Kawi so much lol, its gonna be a nice engine war, no sandbagging allowed ok, okay

Default Scuttlebutt

Wow another great car just came on the market. See the Phoenix post and it is in the Southeast.

There are several great cars available. So anyone on the sidelines of F1000 could make Road Atlanta March 21 in a new car for the first F1000 series event of the season. It is a Majors event as well. All the right F1000 people will be there to help you in so many ways. Car prep suggestions, maintenance tips, set-up, tools you may not have, driving tips, track familiarization if you have not driven RA ect ect. If you need full support Young Racing is based in Atlanta and Chris Young knows these cars well. He has room for 6 cars under his canopy.

Joel, with the Sebring tune up in your new car we hope you can make Road Atlanta. Jay/Brian will probably be there as well.

Liked: 23

Going to the Sebring regional. Would like to do the Road Atlanta event, but my truck and trailer are going through a lot of maintenance that needs to be addressed. Anyone headed up there from Florida that has room for my car?

After a long discussion, and a certain amount of risk by trying something new, Greg Pizzo is fabricating a set of side pods for my car. Not only do these things look great and are functional with the VD raised nose, but they simply are able to carry larger oil and water coolers than the stock Van Diemen's side pods can. The inlets are larger as well, and I feel pretty confident that they will work.

Liked: 84

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Lane View Post
    Going to the Sebring regional. Would like to do the Road Atlanta event, but my truck and trailer are going through a lot of maintenance that needs to be addressed. Anyone headed up there from Florida that has room for my car?

After a long discussion, and a certain amount of risk by trying something new, Greg Pizzo is fabricating a set of side pods for my car. Not only do these things look great and are functional with the VD raised nose, but they simply are able to carry larger oil and water coolers than the stock Van Diemen's side pods can. The inlets are larger as well, and I feel pretty confident that they will work.
    Scuttlebutt

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    Look up scuttlebutt in Wiktionary, the free dictionary. Scuttlebutt in slang usage means rumor or gossip, deriving from the nautical term for the cask used to serve water (or, later, a water fountain).[1][2]
    The term corresponds to the colloquial concept of a water cooler in an office setting, which at times becomes the focus of congregation and casual discussion. Water for immediate consumption on a sailing ship was conventionally stored in a scuttled butt: a butt (cask) which had been scuttled by making a hole in it so the water could be withdrawn. Since sailors exchanged gossip when they gathered at the scuttlebutt for a drink of water, scuttlebutt became Navy slang for gossip or rumours.[2]

lol, I may have room for ya as*
    "If you're not driving on the edge you're taking up too much space.... "

Default Scuttlebutt

Sounds like there is a lot going on for everyone and the first pro series race should be a great event and I hope at least 20 FB deep. We are still going steady on the my Citation refresh. The Citation family is great so many have went out of there way to help me get the parts I needed to complete the rebuild. Brandon , Steve , John and Mike thank you for your help to this point.

A little of what we are doing -
    New updated Citation body work panels
    All remaining new Body Work
    Body seam fill
    New MoTech Data And Wiring
    New Fuel Cell
    New Side Pods and Trays
    New Bearings
    Diff Rebuild
    New Brake Discs
    Under Tray modifications
    Paint on New body work

A lot to do but the Car should be one bad ass machine when were done. Look forward to RA.

Snap Shot

Attachment 44155
    Last edited by Jasonrmbell; 01.04.15 at 9:12 PM.
    Jason Bell
    STOHR 2013
    F1000

Liked: 702

Quote Originally Posted by crowe motorsports View Post

Is Alex Mayer and dad Nick coming back after selling their car that did very well in 2013.

I hear Jerry Hodges may have sold 5 or more JDR's after the Runoffs. I know Roger Cook ran his new JDR at the Fontana nationals in California recently. Thielmann's are in. Who else?
    Check the Road Atlanta entry list.

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...7#.UuszKbStzKc
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Default Scuttlebutt

Looks like we need to pick up the pace on the entries !
    Jason Bell
    STOHR 2013
    F1000

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonrmbell View Post
    Sounds like there is a lot going on for everyone and the first pro series race should be a great event and I hope at least 20 FB deep. We are still going steady on the my Citation refresh. The Citation family is great so many have went out of there way to help me get the parts I needed to complete the rebuild. Brandon , Steve , John and Mike thank you for your help to this point.

A little of what we are doing -
    New updated Citation body work panels
    All remaining new Body Work
    Body seam fill
    New MoTech Data And Wiring
    New Fuel Cell
    New Side Pods and Trays
    New Bearings
    Diff Rebuild
    New Brake Discs
    Under Tray modifications
    Paint on New body work

A lot to do but the Car should be one bad ass machine when were done. Look forward to RA.

Snap Shot

Attachment 44155
    Jason, what is the weight of the bare frame in the pic?
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Default Scuttlebutt

Great to see Alex Mayer and his dad Nick are in. Alex came out of go karts and did very well last year and I think he is still in his teens. Alex in a JDR will be something to see. This guy is quick and he loves the rain.

We have a many new cars and drivers coming into F1000. It will be a very interesting season.

Liked: 43

Alex has already had a bit of time in a JDR. He was the first to race one two years ago. The prototype car I believe.

Liked: 0

Default Stohr F1000

At Stohr Cars we are very excited for 2014. As you may know we developed many new parts for our F1000 car last year. With Lucian Pancea driving, we captured the West Coast Championship for the second year in a row and nearly won at Road America. Our speeds in the Runoffs charts were second fastest all weekend at 150mph. We feel we have found a great balance between speed and downforce with our new package.

Lucian had to take some time off due to a personal setback. He is still very much a part of our team and in fact will be at Pacific Raceway this weekend assisting F1000 owner Ross Wolf.

Right now we are finishing up a new upright design with Lee. This is a very exciting upgrade for all existing cars.

We now have all of the composite aero parts available which we developed throughout last season. This includes a new FB floor design. Also tire kickers that will fit any Formula car. The new side pod is a great improvement on drag reduction.

Wayne

Liked: 1432

Quote Originally Posted by WFelch View Post

Lucian had to take some time off due to a personal setback.

Wayne
    I hope it is nothing he can't overcome. I had the pleasure of pitting next to him at the Runoffs. Very nice guy with a great sense of humor.

Please give him my best.

RH

Default Scuttlebutt

Wayne sounds good. I'll want some of these parts for my Stohr what's the lead time
    Jason Bell
    STOHR 2013
    F1000

Liked: 17

Quote Originally Posted by crowe motorsports View Post
    Great to see Alex Mayer and his dad Nick are in. Alex came out of go karts and did very well last year and I think he is still in his teens. Alex in a JDR will be something to see. This guy is quick and he loves the rain.

We have a many new cars and drivers coming into F1000. It will be a very interesting season.
    Yea, Mike you caught us, we are really pumped to come out to play with you guys again, especially in our new JDR.
    Great thread Michael, its cool to see what everybody is up to.

Thanks
    Nick and Alex

Liked: 23

Default Sebring

So....Four FB's registered for the Sebring event. 32 cars in the run group with groups 4 and 5 being combined(FV's, 500 running with FA's and FB's. That's a subject for another thread, but Sebring long course is.... long). Joel Haas in Brian Novak's Piper. Welcome to the show! No pressure.

John Paul, you said you went to DLB racing to register, but I don't see your name there. You need to register that Stohr in P1. You'd be the only one there. Just think- you can come in first and last at the same time!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 60

Default New schuttlebutt?

Anything new to report? Is Brandon Dixon planning a comeback? Is the new Firman going to dominate this year? Will the restrictors help or hurt the class?

Also: Are there those out there that will buy/build a car now that there are restrictors?
    Last edited by Mike Holland; 11.19.14 at 4:01 PM. Reason: Added more

Liked: 896

I believe Brandon is moving to F2000 with a new Citation Zetec.

I think the Firman will be very competitive on the high Df tracks.

The restrictors will not change the competitive situation wrt engines. New engines need to take over the class.

The above are simply my opinions and nothing else.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Thread Information