Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New FV motor?

Liked: 49

Default New FV motor?

We all know the 1200cc is on it's way out, so I'm keeping my eyes open for options. I think this would be great - good on gas, smaller than our motors, a lot lighter which makes engine changes easier, and built for reliability and long life. Also has a little more power, but maybe a restrictor would help?

http://jalopnik.com/nissans-new-le-m...n-y-1509734976

Liked: 17

Quote Originally Posted by Tiago Santos View Post
    We all know the 1200cc is on it's way out, so I'm keeping my eyes open for options. I think this would be great - good on gas, smaller than our motors, a lot lighter which makes engine changes easier, and built for reliability and long life. Also has a little more power, but maybe a restrictor would help?

http://jalopnik.com/nissans-new-le-m...n-y-1509734976

Hmmm ....Let's see, decision time,
    the entire 401K retirement ... or this new motor....???
    John Ferreira
    FV 15

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Come on Tiago.

We don't want to "dumb down the class" with modern technology.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 355

Ya know.... for the current prices of the 'big' National engines right now, maybe a sealed version of this would be plausable now.
    And think of the sound we'd make!

http://blogs.motorcyclistonline.com/...ine-32467.html
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

Liked: 302

180hp - We're going to need some bigger tires...
    And brakes.
    FB, FC, FE, FM, FF, F500, get out of the way

Just need an inlet restricter like FF. lol.

Liked: 72

While we're dreaming, look at the Chevrolet Spark engine. 1.2 liters, 84 hp. and looks small enough to fit in a vee.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Before this gets toooo out of hand, please keep in mind the original post was meant to be funny

That said, this is all a pipe dream, but the Chevy spark motor would be a fun experiment. There are tons of engines in Europe that could be used and are even closer to what we have currently - the Fiat FIRE engines, like the 1108cc they use in the UK in the Formula 750 class - 60hp, cheap as dirt, pretty reliable..

Other brands also have cool little two and three cylinder motors that make as much power as our National motors, cost a fraction and would last much longer. I can't think of any similar motors easily available on this side of the Atlantic, other than bike motors. Maybe the Smart car engine..

Liked: 830

If anyone wants to start getting serious about something like this, I'd suggest you focus on AIR COOLED. We don't need no stinkin' WATER all over our garage (and trailer) floors and we don't need any broken blocks from leavin' it in the trailer . That is a major joy for me when it's time to change engines.

Steve, FV80

I honestly am not sure what AC'd engines are around anymore, outside VW & some bike engines. That being said, I seriously like the 1600 VW options.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Harley - such a a natural fit. Something tells me the fan bases don't overlap though - a marketing challenge!

Liked: 27

Default The Dreaded 1600

Now ya went and did it. Mentioned the dreaded 1600 the whole threads going right to hell now. LOL

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Suzuki VStrom 650 engine. Slightly more HP (66), much smaller and a 6sp trans.

Alright.. Air cooled, fits a vw tranny.... How about this?

Yeah, not a whole lot of Moto Guzzi motors around here..

Looks like there are a few companies that mate H-D motors to automotive transmissions. These things are stunning, by the way - http://cycle-car.com/specifications.htm

Liked: 2

Default Tiago-- you are on to something!

Look at where the heads are! There is no starving sump! This could work wonders on some tracks! Or maybe I should slant the engine/tranny for NHIS(NHMS? wtf? big oval thing) and not starve my poor vee engine in the banking!

Just sayin'

Oh wait... I will need a new exhaust... forget it...

Liked: 174

I know where there's two Guzzi motors 2 miles from home, so count me in!

Mark

Liked: 114

Default New motors

I vote for the Harley....they leak as much as we blow out.... same oil usage..

Would we have to wear bandanas and get lots of tattoos..?

Besides - if we went with those Moto Guzzi motors, it would obviously be a RULE that you'd have to show it off. Think of the money you'd save by not needing an engine cover!

Turns out someone does make an adapter to fit the H-D to a VW transaxle, of course they do

I'd love to give this a try, rules be damned
    Last edited by Tiago Santos; 01.29.14 at 1:16 PM.

Other brands also have cool little two and three cylinder motors that make as much power as our National motors, cost a fraction and would last much longer. I can't think of any similar motors easily available on this side of the Atlantic...
    None of those sissie engines over here!

If we're going water cooled, only a 5litre GM will do. We can call the class FV 5000

Contributing Member
    Liked: 79

Turns out someone does make an adapter to fit the H-D to a VW transaxle, of course they do

That is cool.
    Of course you can keep the "V" in Formula Vee since it's a V twin.
    What a racket 20 of those would make screaming down the straight.
    -A

Liked: 174

I wonder what kind of power they put out?

Banned

The newest 88B twin cam (1400cc+) produces less HP than a FST and less than 2/3's of what a new GSXR600 produces.

Yup. The old Evo motors are reported to be right around 59-61hp stock, the TC88B are around 70 something, I believe.

If someone finds me a motor, I'll make the adapter

Liked: 29

Default New engine

The Formula F class is on their third engine. Why can't we look at a new engine? The bottom line is "relatively" low expense racing. Yes we'll all agree to be at the pointy end of racing you have to spend some money. But if you just want to get out on the track and have fun, a good inexpensive used car can easily be found.

The Vstrom engine has similar horsepower, what else out there can we look at that is realistic? Yes the idea of throwing a HD motor would be cool and sound awesome but probably not going to happen.
    Reinventing the world, one wheel at a time.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 15

I suggested the Harley engine on the FV Interchange about 5 years ago and the response was deafening crickets....

Liked: 25

Apparently the VW Skunk-Works has been looking into the problem for a long time and rumors are they are developing a 1600CC air cooled engine that can be a drop in replacement for a 1200. Hopefully this development program will produce an affordable engine we can buy virtually off the shelf.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WV1600.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	44156  
    Sam
    Acer-MK2 FST #56
    Acer-J FST #47
    Hawke DL8 FSV

Liked: 247

I figured this thread would eventually end up with FST guys coming in advertising as usual.

The HD motor idea is neat

Banned

SamF stating the obvious.

If you really want to come up with an alternate package that produces similar performance then please pick something much smaller and lighter with an integral 6sp sequential box. Not a big ol heavy low-tech turd putting out less than 1HP per cubic inch.

Liked: 25

Quote Originally Posted by B Farnham View Post
    I figured this thread would eventually end up with FST guys coming in advertising as usual.
    Hey it is the off season and we are all part of the same ACVW family so we need to have fun.

But puting the same tires on all are car and adding HD motors could be a fun adventure.
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 01.31.14 at 2:40 PM.
    Sam
    Acer-MK2 FST #56
    Acer-J FST #47
    Hawke DL8 FSV

Contributing Member
    Liked: 15

There are HD dealerships all over the country and you would never have trouble finding parts. Spares... who needs them just take a ride to the closest dealer. Let them pay for it to sit on their shelves instead of our trailers, basements, garages, etc. Think of how much room you would make not having to hoard parts...

If it were only that simple this would be amazing to see and hear a field taking the green flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    SamF stating the obvious.

If you really want to come up with an alternate package that produces similar performance then please pick something much smaller and lighter with an integral 6sp sequential box. Not a big ol heavy low-tech turd putting out less than 1HP per cubic inch.
    Not sure if you're talking about the H-D or the 1600cc here

Anyway, I'd love to try the Harley motor for the novelty factor. I know very little about them, though, so have no idea how good or bad it could work out. We have enough trouble sorting out oiling on an automotive engine (albeit one from like the origins of motoring..), I'm not sure how well the Harley motors would last on track. The other bike engine classes seem to have trouble with oiling and require dry sumps or really fancy wet sumps, but then again they're cornering at much higher speeds than we are.

The harley motor should leave us with lots of room to add an oil tank, though! Or even make the cockpit bigger for the big boned drivers among us..

All this to say - unless someone much smarter than me actually recommends it, I'm not REALLY suggesting the Harley motor as a viable alternative for FV. It's just kinda neat and cool. And fits the theme of this thread - pipe dreams and jokes.

Daryl - yes, I'd love something newer, lighter and smaller. But given that water cooled engines are out, and bike engines have other classes to play with, maybe a generator or lawn mower engine?
    Last edited by Tiago Santos; 01.31.14 at 2:53 PM.

Anyway, I'd love to try the Harley motor for the novelty factor.
    Do it. FS allows any ICE, piston or rotary, gasoline, turbo or supercharged, unlimited displacement.

I see a dual Harley with twin turbo's in your future.

Fun thread. 1600 ACVW would be hard to beat.

Liked: 17

Come on ..... I hear that no newbies join the class because it ain't sexy .....
    Think out side the box ....
    Okay, how about, a V8, 60hp, same physical size as our 1200, that bolts up to our VW tranny ....

John Ferreira
    FV 15

Where did you find this picture?

Liked: 72

HD motors are semi dry sump but still utilize ancient designs like the siamese connecting rods on a common crank pin. HD rpm is quite low compared with other motors and don't expect to find them cheaply. A tired shovel head will still cost $5k. Judging by how many HD's is see on the side of the road, it may not be our best choice for reliability either. I've owned and ridden HD's especially when the only alternatives were Triumph and BSA, but I don't own one now. They're quite dated.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Quote Originally Posted by budawe View Post
    HD motors are semi dry sump but still utilize ancient designs like the siamese connecting rods on a common crank pin. HD rpm is quite low compared with other motors and don't expect to find them cheaply. A tired shovel head will still cost $5k. Judging by how many HD's is see on the side of the road, it may not be our best choice for reliability either. I've owned and ridden HD's especially when the only alternatives were Triumph and BSA, but I don't own one now. They're quite dated.
    I was concerned about the cost of an HD motor. While a novel idea I don't think the practicality was ever there. The Vstrom is inexpensive at under $1k where I've seen it. But is all this just idle bench racing or is anyone serious about the topic?

Liked: 27

Quote Originally Posted by jhenn4716 View Post
    I was concerned about the cost of an HD motor. While a novel idea I don't think the practicality was ever there. The Vstrom is inexpensive at under $1k where I've seen it. But is all this just idle bench racing or is anyone serious about the topic?

An EVO crate engine is about $3500 no intake or carb. You can even have it dealer rebult when its worn out.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...l?locale=en_us

Liked: 190

Default Here's three ideas

Here are three engine ideas that fit this thread perfectly.
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 08.01.16 at 12:39 PM.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    Here are three engine ideas that fit this thread perfectly.
    Leave it to an FST guy to chirp in I think the idea was a modern alternative

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information