Liked: 1417

Default Indianapolis Motor Speedway To Host SCCA Runoffs in 2017

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (Oct. 14, 2015) – The Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Sports Car Club of America announced today that the IMS road course will be the site of the 2017 SCCA National Championship Runoffs, with race days Sept. 29-Oct. 1.

The event is unprecedented for both the Club and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, pitting the amateur National Championship event on the 14turn, 2.439-mile road course that hosted the Formula One World Championship (in a similar configuration) and the Verizon IndyCar Series' Angie's List Grand Prix of Indianapolis. The road course, of course, utilizes part of the famed oval that hosts the Indianapolis 500.

"In 2013, we announced that the Runoffs would go on an annual rotation, moving around the country with the goal of hitting bucket list tracks," Eric Prill, SCCA Vice President/COO said. "We've done that, having gone from Road America to Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca to Daytona International Speedway, and will be at Mid-Ohio in 2016. But the visit to Indianapolis in 2017, a track that no other SafeRacer Club Racer will have a chance to compete on prior to the Runoffs, is truly unique and a dream come true for many of our racers."

Indianapolis history and SCCA history are intrinsically linked. Countless SCCA graduates have competed in "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing," with Mark Donohue and Bobby Rahal earning both a Runoffs title and an Indy 500 win in their careers. Indy 500 winner Buddy Rice drank the milk but couldn't collect a Runoffs win; current competitor Graham Rahal is the youngest Runoffs champion, but still has a chance to add his name to the Borg-Warner Trophy.

"As a racer, I know that the American dream of being a racecar driver starts with the Indianapolis 500," Lisa Noble, SCCA President & CEO and Formula Vee racer, said. "IMS is an integral part of our history as we are a part of theirs. Many of the Speedway's crew, workers, drivers and Indy 500 winners have their roots in the SCCA. Drivers such as Bobby and Graham Rahal, Jimmy Vasser, Mark Donohue, Buddy Rice, Michael Andretti and Lyn St. James are just a few that raced in the SCCA Runoffs before reaching the Indy 500.

"I'm very moved by this significant moment in SCCA history as I am by the Speedway every time I enter the gate. Each of our Champions will have an incredibly special honor – to be crowned on the most hallowed ground in American motorsports. Racers will tell stories for decades about this first Runoffs at Indy. It will become legendary, and I cannot wait for our members to experience that in 2017."

Doug Boles is now the President of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but has roots in SCCA competition as a driver as well.

"Many Indianapolis 500 veterans have their racing roots in SCCA competition, so hosting the SCCA national championships at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is a natural fit," Boles said. "The Runoffs will provide drivers who have dreamed of competing at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway an opportunity to do so and will hopefully motivate some participants to continue on the path to compete in the Indianapolis 500 someday. It is going to be a tremendous event showcasing the talent and passion that makes SCCA racing so exciting."

The SCCA National Championship Runoffs has crowned Club Racing National Champions in a winner-take-all, single race format since 1964. Through 27 separate races over three days, the 2015 edition recently crowned champions in 27 classes in the pinnacle event of amateur racing.

Prior to Indianapolis, the 2016 SCCA National Championship Runoffs presented by Garmin VIRB is at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Sept. 19-25, 2016. Though a venue has not yet been announced, SCCA plans to hold the Runoffs at a west coast venue again in 2018.

Founded in 1944, Sports Car Club of America, Inc. is a 67,500-member motorsports organization that incorporates all facets of autocross, rally and road racing at both amateur and professional levels. It annually sanctions more than 2,000 events through its 115 regions and professional subsidiary. Landmark events and series for the Club include the SafeRacer SCCA Club Racing program, which includes the U.S. Majors Tour; the Club Racing National Championship Runoffs® and The Tire Rack® SCCA Solo National Championships and ProSolo Championship at Lincoln, Neb.; the annual SCCA National Convention and Hall of Fame Induction; and experiential programs including the Tire Rack Starting Line School and Track Night in America driven by Tire Rack. For more information, please visit www.scca.com.

2. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 490

For this announcement to be correct, they must be planning to run on a different configuration for the Run-Off's than SVRA will use.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 146

Quote Originally Posted by Roland V. Johnson View Post
    For this announcement to be correct, they must be planning to run on a different configuration for the Run-Off's than SVRA will use.
    I don't think so. I wouldn't take the "no other SCCA racer will have a chance to compete" part that rigidly. The SVRA/IndyCar course is established and shouldn't change.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Liked: 8

Default Indy 2017

I think that this will draw alot of competitors out from both coasts to participate.
    For us in FF it will take on the air of the 40th at RA.
    SVRA did learn in its first year that more competitors is not necessarily better in terms of racing or servicing the event.
    SCCA may want to consider a similar cap for all its better subscribed groups.
    One thing that I will predict is that drivers planning on going should be prepared for sticker shock.
    Renting the track will not come cheap and as a result you can likely expect higher then usual entry and test day fees.
    I never bothered to check the cost for garage space because I knew I couldn't afford it on top of everything else.
    If you look at this as a once in a lifetime event at a world famous track, then cost becomes relative.

Liked: 27

You would think they would use a better pic of the track. That doesn't even show the road course as it is now. And there are diff configurations. It is a fun, challenging track however not blindingly fast like Daytona.
    God is my pilot, I'm just the loose nut behind the wheel !

Liked: 53

Default Great video

Here is an Indy car video of a bunch of re-starts at the road course. Interesting Views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDpSjrdPlxc

G.
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Liked: 757

I hope they run the track in Moto GP format. At least you go the right way down the start/finish straight.

Some pretty fool hardy officials in that Indycar video with one foot on the pit wall at the start.

Liked: 9

Default Runoff rotation

What SCCA should remember is the SCCA active racing members in the Southwest, Northwest and West who were promised a runoff race in the West every three years. SCCA is too busy patting itself on the back to remember those of us who do not see the difference between a 26-34 hour drive and a 24-32 hour drive for a trophy for 2015, 2016 and 2017. The majority of SCCA members are no longer 18-30 but longtime members who have seen many regions like Arizona decimated thanks to the SCCA and its total disregard to their divisions, drivers and volunteers, I represent all three.

It is time for SCCA corporate to stop chasing each other around their desks and focus on what we want as drivers, not what corporate THINKS we want. It is hard to grow membership when corporate robs regions of their right to National racing currently called Majors. Who ever is in charge needs to start taking a look at the damage and hire personnel who are qualified in running a company focused on growth and supporting its members who pay their salary.

There are many old programs being promoted as new programs being offered when the answer is not possible with one solution, it is a demographic solution, hire professionals who understand this concept, bring back our Majors and support the livelihood of individual regions. Many in charge were not around when we had 24 hour racing every year at Nelson Ledges or night racing in Arizona or when Laguna Seca was 9 turns.

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 175

Quote Originally Posted by dougnelson View Post
    What SCCA should remember is the SCCA active racing members in the Southwest, Northwest and West who were promised a runoff race in the West every three years.
    No, that isn't what the SCCA promised. In its June 2013 meeting, the Board of Directors supported "an annual move of Runoffs and a West Coast visit every 3-4 years.” (http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files...pdf?1422395292) Thereafter, the Runoffs were held at Laguna Seca in 2014, followed by Daytona in 2015, Mid-Ohio in 2016, and Indianapolis in 2017. And, consistent with the announcement in 2013, the Club plans to hold the Runoffs on the West Coast again in 2018: "Though a venue has not yet been announced, SCCA plans to hold the Runoffs at a west coast venue again in 2018." (http://www.scca.com/articles/1998236...unoffs-in-2017)

Default Final decision

Yes, after first agreeing to finally provide representation every three years to the West the SCCA did finally decide on the current rotation. If you take into account the many years we have not enjoyed the advantage of runoffs in the West, Nothwest and Southwest we should have the runoffs every year for the next 10-12 years.

Default Tracks with history

SCCA wants to hold events at tracks with history. From memory you need to run events at a track to create history, this open minded approach would take into consideration all tracks, including Auto Club Speedway, Sears Point (Sonoma Receway), Portland and new tracks under development.

We used to race in the streets and held Nationals at abandoned airports, wherever we could run. We were not concerned about history, we were racing and having fun. Sponsors came to us and were at every race. Today requires funding your own program, costs have skyrocketed due to the many classes, rules and the elimination of Showroom Stock due to insurance liability and safety concerns. Those of us who have been racing since the 60's and 70's can relate to the changes. The runoffs used to be a stepping stone to pro racing. Those of us who have been around long enough to know better, choose to run on our terms. We will wait to see if SCCA actually holds a runoffs race in the WEST for the WEST dues paying members in 2018.

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 39

Quote Originally Posted by Roland V. Johnson View Post
    Let's hope. The SVRA course isn't very technical.

The two-wheel and four-wheel courses are established; we shouldn't expect them to change. the motorcycle sections are very tight and wouldn't be a good fit for cars. We are certain to be racing on the course you see the Indycars using for the Indy Grand Prix in early May. Those guys say the course is fun and has its challenges, I'd be inclined to take them at their word.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Liked: 2

The SVRA course at Indy will be good for the run-offs. It is easy to learn and has lots of passing opportunities. The racing should be great!

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 8

Default Indy

To the previous author.
    I won't disagree with either of your first 2 points, but as a track the Indy road course is as flat and uninspired as running at Pocono using the north/south track clockwise configuration and no bowl.
    I will say that driving through the Gasoline Alley portal onto pitlane for the first time is a memorable moment.

Oh I understand that oval infield RCs have their limitations. I would love to roar through the oval turn 1 like the original F1 course, but I can see why that isn't in the cards.

I'm just incredulous that we have the only opportunity we will ever have to compete at the most famous race track in the world, and a lot of folks around here are scoffing at it. I think that there are many bitter beer faces here from the fractured OW racing era--more than will admit it--and they will never think of the Speedway and its management in a positive light again, which is sad and pathetic. Of course their just SCCA hardcores that will not be happy that the coffee at registration is not as good as at Blackhawk Farms, or other such trivial comfort-zone stuff. As for me I will revel in this once-in-a lifetime fortune with great enthusiasm, and remember it forever.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

22. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

There is nothing like a lap at IMS. No matter what you are driving.

In my case it was a USAC van hauling folding chairs to the observers posts.

Did manage a lap or two after all the chairs were dropped off.

Still makes my spine tingle.

24. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 218

So Dale, how many classes are you going to run at Indy?
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Funny you should inquire Steve, right now I'd call it very undetermined. My sig line is one clue. It will be my racing swansong.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Liked: 2

Hopefully SCCA can arrange for the runoffs entrants to do an "Indy experience" session on the oval like the SVRA did. It was awesome!

28. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 32

Default I can't wait!!!

"Indy '17" is my motto for the next year and a half. Even driving thru the tunnel to the infield was exciting! I have only visited the museum and did the bus lap on the track, but I can't wait to drive there. I will probably pee my pants... It's not the 500, but for me - it will be. 1,000 entries???

Thread Information