Liked: 14

Default BMW NovaDiemen engine transplant

I am doing the mockup of the BMW S1000RR engine in my conversion FB, so far no problems, no cutting or welding. It is almost as if Novak build the chassis to accept a wide array of engines.
    The engine is 2 full inches shorter than the 05 GSXR that came out of the car today, the bimmer engine drops right in and centers perfectly in the bay, the output sprocket lines up with the rear sprocket, no problem. I weighed the bmw engine and it is 12 pounds heavier than the gixxer. There is extra weight above the head due to the electric throttle bodies, the airbox is super complicated with velocity stacks that move up and down and has injectors built into it.
    The next step is to make engine mounts, that will be hard since I've never done that. In theory the engine mounts very similar to the gixxer so it won't be really hard to figure that out.
    By the time I'm done with the engine mounts and exhaust, I am hoping that the SCCA Fastrack finally states what the ECU rule will be for the future. I have seen a lot recently about the ECU, anybody knows whats going to happen there?? Any ideas.

Regards

Marchand Juan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG3994.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	43720   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG3999.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	43721  

Liked: 84

not for nothing (and not saying it's right or wrong) but for years the Philly car has been running the stock ECU as (from what I understand) and on/off switch and having an aftermarket unit control the Honda engine. No one has challenged him yet and I don't see anyone doing it anytime soon. If I were you I'd do the same. Get the car out on the track with the BMW. I think a lot of people would like to see that happen.
    "If you're not driving on the edge you're taking up too much space.... "

JP that is the plan, to get the car on the track(at least here at GingerMan). It is going to take a while because I am doing this by myself and i also have to build two spec miatas from the ground up and a Porsche 356 outlaw, not to mention i'm raising my six month old boy all day everyday. yesterday was huge relief for me, seeing the engine in the bay was just the beginning of this journey, I hope to learn a lot and not give up. There are a many hurdles and unknowns but that is what makes life interesting and I need that.
    As for what Philly does with their engine program, it goes to show that the FB community is super tight and as TonyAve stated in a post "there are no secrets", to me, secrets create separation.
    you are right in saying that people would like to see the BMW engine, here are a few more pictures.

later
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG4000.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	43727   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG4002.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	43728  

Liked: 159

Default shorter?

When you say "shorter" is that fore and aft or vertically?

Liked: 23

Looks great Juan. As for the Fastrack news, I am hoping for a change as well, but so far haven't heard anything. Not very promising. I also heard a rumor from a reliable source that restrictor plates are coming. Not if, but when. Sorry to bring that up...

GPS monitors on 3"x 4" steel plates...

I've heard black helicopters flying around at night, but couldn't see them.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

Default Fooling the ECU...

With a state-of-the-art motorcycle engine like this, what are the major integration hurdles relative to the ECU and achieving full performance (and avoiding a limp-home mode)?

Liked: 30

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Lane View Post
    I've heard black helicopters flying around at night, but couldn't see them.
    Thats cause they are (rev) limited and restricted.

@ JerryH , in a vertical manner.

@Jon, I have no idea yet, I think that if the bike can do 100% closed loop runs on a dyno and not go into limp mode, that there must be a way to make the engine work on a dyno in a car, there has to be a way, I don't know exactly what the answer is, but at least i have the car, the DynoJet, a handful of engines and all the factory electronics. I am not experienced enough to know what is going to happen.

@Brett, thanks for the heads up and comment. Lets just hope the class keep growing and that everyone lives in harmony.

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by JRMarchand View Post
    <snip> ... i have the car, the DynoJet, a handful of engines and all the factory electronics.
    A handful of engines!? Wow. Cool. I was wondering how much the BMW engines cost, but I guess they must be pretty cheap. :-)

low demand i guess, until scca racers start clearing the shelves, then the prices will go up, the first 3 engines santa brought were only $5100 with shipping for all three, yes low demand.

I lose sleep over the fact that i have $6400 invested on a zero time K5 that was later rebuilt last august by Moon's, that engine makes all of 153whp and i'll be lucky to sell it as it is.

so yes, the engines are cheap, all of mine are 2012 and barely broken in, no carbon traces on the valves, what i call a "hollywood" engine, lol they might've crashed on the set of a movie or some stunt gone real bad.

no secrets here

Liked: 8

Default BMW NovaDiemen engine transplant

Put a BMW together for my Citation while your at it.
    Jason Bell
    STOHR 2013
    F1000
    f1000bwracing@highwaysystemsinc.com

Liked: 896

Great work Juan, call me we can help.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Juan,

contact JR osbourne, he knows what it takes to successfully run these engines in a car. he might even have a low mile BMW for you as well.

see you trackside in 2014 !

Thanks,

Nicholas
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Nicholas, I'll probably be trackside all year here at the shop if I don't get a good plan down.
    We'll see

Jay you know I call you btw if you need to dyno the one of the Blades, you could do it here and see whats shaking with this project. Cool

I know this is probably not the best start to a race season, figuring a German engine for a racecar with dual citizenship lol, my girlfriend doesn't know that I'm up to my neck with thoughts about this exercise of mental drainage..
    I have no idea what I'm doing, Mr Jason Bell, I respect your offer but at this time I would be a fool to lay my hands on your Citation, I'm not worthy lol. But let's keep the hopes that this works and then some.
    Last edited by JRMarchand; 01.16.14 at 1:55 AM.

Thread Information