Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Amon View Post
    I found a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab with a 395 hp Hemi and wondered if it could tow a 24- 26' enclosed trailer without wearing out in a few years. I've worn out my 07' Grand Cherokee LTD. (Hemi) towing my 16' enclosed trailer and would like to keep the vehicle 8-10 years if possible. The Ram's rear coil springs are a concern as I believe most 3/4 ton vehicles have the leaf springs and I'm not sure they'll hold up? Anyone have a 1500 Ram and towed with it??

Thanks!

Mark

88' Citation 002'
    02' Citation 001'
    check out http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/tow_chart/ - it goes back to '13 but I can't imagine the 12 & 13 are going to be worlds different.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towi...wing.Specs.pdf also breaks down with some more information.

depending on your options it looks like max tow for those ends up around 8800lbs. a 24-26 (unless you buy aluminum$$$) runs around 4-4500lbs empty with a lot of frontal area (dodge doesn't publish frontal area limits but it plays big into towing near your max.) by the time you're done with a car, spares and tools you're right near that max tow number.

It will certainly tow at it's limit but it's a matter of how often you're going to tow heavy vs longevity. You'll be fine from a power perspective - it will be stopping and making sure your weight distribution hitch is setup just right to spread the load over the truck axles.

Liked: 5

Once you get into the 24'+ trailer your better off going to a gooseneck and getting a 3/4 ton. A 32' gooseneck will have an 8'attic and 24' on the floor. Gooseneck will typically get better gas mileage too compared to a similar bumper pull on flat land. The overall truck/trailer length will be about the same as a 24' bumper pull also. The only down side to a gooseneck trailer is it will be a little bit more expensive than a bumper pull. Once you drive a gooseneck rig you will wonder why you ever even thought of a bumper pull. They are so easy to hook up by yourself and they are much more stable going down the highway. None of that porpising effect that you get hitting a bump with a bumper pull.

A fully loaded 24' is going to be pretty taxing to a 1/2 ton truck. A 32' gooseneck will be a fair bit under the limit of a 3/4 ton in both weight and frontal area so your vehicle life will be better. When you start looking at the size of bearings and suspension components on 3/4 ton vs. 1/2 ton trucks you will realize the duty cycle that 3/4 tons are designed for is much higher.
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked: 174

Chris,

I'm not ready for a Gooseneck, but understand your thoughts on the use of one! If the 24'
    is around 4300lbs, and I add two Vee's (1700lbs.), tires, fuel, tools and spares would push
    the weight close to 7500lbs., which is only 1000 lbs. under the recommended limit and most
    likely pushing it too much. The search continues!!

Thanks everyone!

Mark

88' Citation 002'
    02' Citation 001'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information