Liked: 21

Default Phoenix Head Surround

The Phoenix F1000 has a fully functional head surround manufactured with the same materials as used in the highest levels of racing.
    The full Kevlar body is filled with the same SFI/FIA approved foam used in F1 head surrounds. I thought you guys might like to see one before it is painted.
    Dustin Wright
    Phoenix Race Works L.L.C.
    www.phoenixraceworks.com

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

VERY tidy, and ultra important.

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Dustin,
    Would and could you be able to make one of these for my car? The car is local , Phoenix, AZ
    Marshall
    Last edited by marshall9; 04.18.14 at 5:44 PM.

We can make a head surround for anything. However; I designed the Phoenix chassis and body work from the beginning to have adequate structure to support the surround. There also must be good clearance between the steel substructure and the drivers helmet to fit the 3+ inches of the energy absorbing foam. Much attention has been given to making this part both functional from a safety stand point and from an instalation and removal standpoint.
    Dustin Wright
    www.phoenixraceworks.com

Contributing Member quartzracer's Avatar
    Liked: 5

Default Foam

Nice work! Can you elaborate on the foam? Is the outside of the surround firm while the inside is filled with the energy absorbing material.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 20

I assume the whole surround has an Al backing plate, how thick is it ? How is the rear of the surround retained ? I'll be building my own soon, and could use some advice.
    Thanks
    Steve

Default Flexible

The outer and inner faces are 100% Kevlar, no aluminum backing plate. The part is made with a flexible resin and the foam is just a touch flexible too. The final product has about the same flexiblity as an automotive arm rest, dashboard, or steering wheel. Firm, but kinda gooshy...
    It took tons of research to find the correct foam type and where to buy it. If interested in building your own, then you can buy the foam through us so that you won't have to buy two drums worth. We also built several small trial parts to get all of the process for manufacturing with these products down pat before building head surrounds.

Mounting of the back of the surround is done with two bullets that slide into recpticals on the chassis.
    Dustin Wright
    www.phoenixraceworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    VERY tidy, and ultra important.
    I won't ever design a car without a functional head surround.
    Dustin Wright
    www.phoenixraceworks.com

Contributing Member a. pettipas's Avatar
    Liked: 84

Nice piece Dustin.
    aaron

Liked: 273

Default Yes we built that

It took us about 200 hours to build all the tooling involved to replicate these in quantity.

I researched this for weeks going thru FIA (F1) specs and experimenting with different layups.

I had to bring the technology down to a level that we could work with.....we don't have an unlimited F1 budget writing checks at will.

The only step closer would be certification by the FIA.

Fairly certain this is the only US Built Formula car with a head surround that has something as close to FIA spec as you can get.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

nice work gentleman!

Thanks!!
    Gary and I are way excited about the 2014 season.
    Dustin Wright
    www.phoenixraceworks.com

Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Phoenix Race Works has advanced their levels of technology, design, and concept.

So good to see this, especially the head surround compared to previous MY Phoenix F1000's.

They are constantly in an advancement stage of design and production from the inception of their first F1000 to present.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

Liked: 9

Default early 90's van diemens

if you do start to make these for early 90's van diemens, I am certain there would be alot of interest from Ontario Can, as there are a couple dozen of these in Ontario, and as many as 12 running regularly. The one in pic is nice.
    Dave

Contributing Member
    Liked: 131

+1 for early Van Diemens. David G is right, probably some interest in Ontario, Canada as there are quite a few of this style car (RF90-92) running.
    Stephen Adams
    RF92 Van Diemen FFord
    1980 Lola T540 FFord

Default Other Chassis

As stated above, Gary and I can build a head surround for any car. However; if the car was not designed to have a FUNCTIONAL head surround from it's inception, then getting good results for both safety and use will be all but impossible. It is possible to insert a token head surround with a thin crossection that won't dissipate adequate energy without huge spikes in g's.
    Dustin Wright
    www.phoenixraceworks.com

Liked: 66

Default It is just like F1

When I saw this head surround in the shop, I immediately pictured the Red Bull F1 chassis - this piece of equipment looks exactly like the ones they use.

As Ringo says, "It don't come easy." Dustin, Gary and Tony spent a lot of time and effort to get this head surround right, and get it right they did.

These guys don't mess around...

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wright D View Post
    As stated above, Gary and I can build a head surround for any car. However; if the car was not designed to have a FUNCTIONAL head surround from it's inception, then getting good results for both safety and use will be all but impossible. It is possible to insert a token head surround with a thin crossection that won't dissipate adequate energy without huge spikes in g's.
    So if you can only fit 2" or 2.5" of foam in an existing chassis, wouldn't that be better than leaving no lateral support/protection? I assume you leave ~ 1" gap between the helmet and bolster?

Obviously something is better then nothing.... It will be impossible to match the performance in energy absorption tho. attaching and latching the surround to the chassis can also be tuff if not thought out well.
    Dustin Wright
    www.phoenixraceworks.com

Contributing Member

Yes, on many chassis the frame members are too low to support a bolster of sufficient height, so structure would have to be added. Do you have any pictures of the "bullets" and front retention hardware you are using?

Default Radical Head Restraint

Guys with older cars should look at the head restraint that "Radical" offers. We are using one in a DSR and the shop is going to install one on a McLaren M8 for safety. Very universal and a nice piece. There's a photo of one in the link below. NASCAR and Butler Racing have done extensive studies on driver's safety in regard to "sideways" head protection, utilizing top medical doctors who study head trauma (sports related) from around the world and engineers, I'm sure they used budgets that even F1 would be amazed at. The result can be seen in the seats the driver's now use which include built in head restraints. Dwight is correct in everything that he is advising. We re-engineered an Atlantic tub (carbon fiber) that the designer had originally intended to have a removable head collar, but never got around to it. I had Jeff Freeman out of Sacramento design and fabricate a removable head collar and it took a lot of work and a lot of money. The end result is fantastic and with the help of Dwight and his well researched foam we will have a finished and safe piece.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...=sideways+head
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nascar head restraint.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	43422  
    Last edited by quartzracer; 01.05.14 at 8:03 AM.

Liked: 29

Default Raical Head Restraint

Guys with older cars should look at the head restraint that "Radical" offers. We are using one in a DSR and the shop is going to install one on a McLaren M8 for safety. Very universal and a nice piece. There's a photo of one in the link below. NASCAR and Butler Racing have done extensive studies on driver's safety in regard to "sideways" head protection, utilizing medical doctors and engineers, I'm sure they used budgets that even F1 would be amazed at. The result can be seen in the seats the driver's now use which include built in head restraints.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56274&page=2&highlight=sideways+h ead

I saw this when you first posted it. Where in the Radical web site can I find more info on it?

If you go to the "Spring Mountain Raceway" website and go to the Radical section. I don't remember exactly but get to the parts section and it is pictured there. The piece is well made and light weight. It fastens with three bolts in the main headrest portion. When bolted in I am sure it is as effective as anything.

Liked: 29

Default Radical Head Restraint

I found the Radical Head Restraint on the Radical UK website.

http://secure2.cyberware.co.uk/~rad-...estraints.html

AH0054 - Head Restraint

£349.54

Thread Information