Thread: SVRA @ Indy

Liked: 29

Default SVRA @ Indy

The Brickyard Vintage Racing Invitational

June 4 – 8, 2014
    Indianapolis Motor Speedway – Indianapolis, IN
    As the fourth race in the 2014 East Coast schedule, SVRA is proud to announce the first Vintage event ever to be held at the historic Brickyard. This one promises to be a blockbuster for competitors and spectators as it will feature a historic oval track reunion and a full slate of SVRA Sprint and Endurance races taking place on the newly configured 2.44 mile road course. Vintage competitors will also have a chance to drive the historic 2.5 mile oval.
    Spectators will be allowed to camp in the infield during this event, marking the first time in the track’s 111 year history that this has been possible. SVRA’s open access to the paddock, race cars, and drivers will make this event the most family-oriented, fan-friendly event ever held at the Speedway.

Jim Gustafson

Liked: 2

Default SVRA Indy

Kind of like playing little league in Yankee Stadium
    Jack

Liked: 27

Hey, ya gotta play somewhere ! Why not at the most famous race track in the world ?
    God is my pilot, I'm just the loose nut behind the wheel !

Liked: 309

So, are they getting ready to host the 2016 Runoffs?

*-starting the rumor early...
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 101

Will they use the old f1 road course?
    Dee
    rt41
    rt5

Liked: 309

Dave, the article says SVRA will use the "new" 2.44-mile course, which I believe is the Moto GP course, or roughly speaking...the same as the F1 course, only in reverse.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Actually they have been revamping the road course since fall. There are some videos out there showing the corner by corner changes. This is for the upcoming race in the spring.

http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway...e_sidebar=true
    Ken

Default SVRA Indy

I am entered at Indy with a 95 Van Dieman FC. There is no base line gearing for the F1 or oval course. I imagine Taylor could come up with some base line gearing. The 2.5 oval will probably be a horse power run and I most likely be the slowest in group 9 as I give up a lot of horsepower to the rest of the classes in that group. I really don't care, just being able to run the Brickyard is enough for me.
    Jack

Liked: 11

Default Direction?

Are SVRA going clockwise like the Indycar GP or counter like the Moto GP? The changes they are making to open up the slow corners should improve the flow but also make top speed critical. I have done a bunch of laps on the old Moto GP course as a medical driver, and was not too impressed, no flow and odd combinations of corners.

Liked: 67

Clockwise on the new infield circuit.

They're also going to run exhibition laps for all entered cars on the full oval!

A group of experienced instructors will run a track orientation program on Wednesday, as at COTA. Lyn St. James will be there to present! It's going to be fun.
    Last edited by Tigaman; 01.08.14 at 1:46 PM.
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

Liked: 175

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    So, are they getting ready to host the 2016 Runoffs?

*-starting the rumor early...
    http://www.scca.com/news/index.cfm?cid=51460

Contributing Member
    Liked: 19

Default Indy weekend

What we were told at the announcement regarding Indy was that there would be no overtaking in the turns on the full oval - read "exhibition laps" as Peter referred to.

Presumably, the road circuit would not have such constraints.

JeffW

Liked: 24

On the road course.... full on racing 1

Liked: 232

Quote Originally Posted by jaxssnake View Post
    I am entered at Indy with a 95 Van Dieman FC. ....
    Jack
    I would love to go - HOWEVER - I read the rules - how does a FC 95 Van Diemen get in ? - It seems to stop entry after 1979 wing cars and some pre-73/81 for FF - Advices ?

"(2/FF)
    1. Formula Ford thru 1972 (1600cc) (With approved steel wheels and tire
    restrictions)
    (2/CF)
    1. Formula Ford (1600) "Club Ford" (1973-1981) (With tire restrictions)

(7. Formula Continental (1973-79) These cars have a cut-off date of 1979)
    They must be flat-bottomed, pre-ground
    effect types"
    Last edited by Swift17; 01.08.14 at 8:25 AM.

Liked: 29

"I would love to go - HOWEVER - I read the rules - how does a FC 95 Van Diemen get in ? - It seems to stop entry after 1979 wing cars and some pre-73/81 for FF - Advices ?"

Most vintage organizations will accept every entry (fee) they can get. They will find a group for you, in the case of later model FC's it's group 9. If you are not running for points there is a provision where they may put you in Class X. Same overall group 9.

This event is an invitational, so things may be different, but it's probably costing a fortune to rent the Speedway, so they will need the revenue.

Jim Gustafson

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

I run SVRA-west with 94 VD FC. I run in F9A. Kinda blows because that classes you with the last gen of FSV and tube-frame Atlantics, but a well-driven FC can dice with guys that don't get enough seat time in their older, more expensive to run cars.

That group has the Indy cars and Indy lights though, so you gotta keep an eye on the mirrors....

I wish I would have known more FC drivers were interested in running with SVRA, I would have kept mine ! Yes, FC cars are accepted in Group 9, I think the cutoff date was 1999 but not certain. I bought a 98 Swift FA to run with them. However, Indy is an invitational and you need prior experience with SVRA. I plan on running a race this spring with them and hoping that works.

Liked: 490

SVRA apparently is in a state of flux with the rulebook, and it's enforcement. As the West is merged into the rest of SVRA the different rules are clashing. We have been assured that we can run under our existing rules. There are many entrenched interests that are clashing. May reason prevail!
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Default SVRA Indy

I have attended quite a few SVRA races and have seen newer open wheel cars in group 9 including Formula Continentals. I live within 2 hrs of Watkins Glen and always wanted to race the September Vintage. Last year I filled the forms out and sent the pictures in and the car was accepted. Even though I hold a national license the SVRA rules state that you have to attend their driver orientation program before you can race.The DOP is a combination of classroom and track time and they have instructors that watch you while you are on the track. My first event was at Watkins Glen last September. Rick is correct about the mix of open wheel cars in group 9. At the September Vintage there was a mix of F1's, FA's, SV's and F3. Of the 10 cars in group nine 7 of them were 94 or newer with three of the cars in the 2000's.
    Jack

Liked: 64

I would love to run this event. I have an Eagle formula Ford that I would have to finish the restoration on. However, would I have to run the treaded tires? I think a Club Ford should be able to run on the Hoosier R60's. If they want things to be vintage correct, this car never ran on treaded tires? Just my 2 cents. But would really like to participate!

Liked: 113

Wes,

we are in the same situation. It is my understanding that we would get "bumped up" a run group. We could race as a "club Ford" on slicks, but would run in the FA/F2 session, not in the FF/Fjr run group. ...at least that was the discussion I had with an SVRA rep. I am sure someone else who has raced with the SVRA can chime in and explain the classes/groupings. I think that that would be the same group that the RF95's would run in.

I know at that Lime Rock (a non-SVRA event) you can run with the vintage FF group, but only on treaded tires. They do not want to have treads and slicks racing together.
    Chris Robson
    Accelerated Performance Coaching
    http://APCDriving.com

I believe FF runs under Monoposto rules. Go to monoposto.com for info.

Thread Information