Thread: Air Box

Liked: 0

Default Air Box

My buddy has a FB. Had a Yamaha in it and he just converted it to GXR power. The chassis itself is a clone of some kind, I don't remember of what.
    With the Yamaha the air intake comes in through the roll bar opening, looking similar to a Formula 1 car. It just dumped in to the engine compartment.

Right now he's using the stock GXR air box. The air comes in and dumps into the engine compartment. The air comes into the engine through the stock air box openings and through the air filter and to the engine.
    He kind of likes this because, being in the North West and our rainy weather, the rain can't get to the intakes. At least not easily.
    I think the motor would run better if we basically took the top off the stock air box, glassed a 'scoop' to catch the incoming air from the roll hoop opening and ram it into the motor.
    His concern is the rain water getting into the intakes

Is that a concern?
    If so how do you get around the problem.

Thanks in advance !
    Dark Cobalt
    aka Paul

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

You pretty much described the RFR Suzuki airbox.
    I have switched to Kawi power and have it for sale in the FB F/S section - check it out.

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

motorcycle engine air ram question: can too much air be rammed into a mc engine or do all the sensors automatically adjust for it?
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Contributing Member
    Liked: 94

I supposed the obvious answer is yes might be able to cram so much air into it that you would encounter way lean conditions, but in practical situations, no. The bike electronics have an airbox pressure sensor, so as long as you aren't exceeding the values in the fueling tables you should be Ok.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Cobalt View Post
    My buddy has a FB. Had a Yamaha in it and he just converted it to GXR power. The chassis itself is a clone of some kind, I don't remember of what.
    With the Yamaha the air intake comes in through the roll bar opening, looking similar to a Formula 1 car. It just dumped in to the engine compartment.

Right now he's using the stock GXR air box. The air comes in and dumps into the engine compartment. The air comes into the engine through the stock air box openings and through the air filter and to the engine.
    He kind of likes this because, being in the North West and our rainy weather, the rain can't get to the intakes. At least not easily.
    I think the motor would run better if we basically took the top off the stock air box, glassed a 'scoop' to catch the incoming air from the roll hoop opening and ram it into the motor.
    His concern is the rain water getting into the intakes

Is that a concern?
    If so how do you get around the problem.

Thanks in advance !
    Dark Cobalt
    aka Paul
    I reread my reply and it wasn't quite clear - so I bolded the part that "Essentially describes the RFR airbox".
    What he's got right now is super heated or at a minimum MUCH hotter, "underhood" air that is coming into the airbox.
    I have run my car in atrocious conditions which the type rain you guys get there doesn't even come close too.

You could also possibly get cool air from the sidepod area, ahead of the coolers, and route that to the stock GSXR airbox openings...

Liked: 23

I hope everyone is enjoying their Christmas holiday.

I can't recall exactly what the stock airbox looks like inside, but like most applications doesn't the air filter block all this moisture? I didn't even consider this an issue.

Like Coop's air box, the Elan DP-04 that I'm thinking of has the intake connected to a "snorkel" that was fabricated directing cool air straight into the stock airbox.

Liked: 49

The GSXR airbox picks up air from two ports on the front bottom. This works for a motorcycle but not so great for a car. I have a DP04 and just picked up a spare airbox with the idea of converting it to take air directly from the "snorkel" not just pulling from the hot engine compartment. If anyone has already done this, would you be willing to share some photos?

Liked: 126

Try using two intakes, one each side of the rollhoop. 2 2.5" diameter hoses ought to about do it.

The current JDM looks like they use this method, and I did it that way on my first Kawi build, but it was somewhat ruined at LRP. Have not yet decided how I will handle the air intake this time around.

Liked: 6

Quote Originally Posted by sprocketmensch View Post
    The GSXR airbox picks up air from two ports on the front bottom. This works for a motorcycle but not so great for a car. I have a DP04 and just picked up a spare airbox with the idea of converting it to take air directly from the "snorkel" not just pulling from the hot engine compartment. If anyone has already done this, would you be willing to share some photos?

I made a "snorkle" between the stock airbox and intake by opening up the entire bottom front ( between the two intakes) of the stock airbox, maintaining the airflow up through the stock filter and into the plenum.. Had to make it in two pieces to be able to fuel car. It made a huge difference from sucking the hot air from the engine compartment.

I can email a few more pictures if you like.

Thanks,

Tom

Attachment 43262

Liked: 757

This was my solution to feed the stock Suzuki air box on what is now Alex Mayer's car (currently for sale in the classifieds section). It was a pretty effective.
    Last edited by SEComposites; 05.28.15 at 5:55 PM.

UPDATE:
    Spent the past couple weekends building the air box. Decided to build a design similar to Toms. We bought a sheet of pink builders foam, 1 1/2 thick 2ft X 8ft from Home Depot.
    Sliced, diced and shaped to fit. Covered it it with mylar to protect it from the fiberglass resign. Ended up using an epoxy product instead of fiberglass for the first time. Great results. The resin didn't stink!! which was a plus, in some ways. Though I do enjoy a good snort of fiberglass.
    Did a two piece lay up. Top half, bottom half.
    Real happy with the results and thanks Tom for the idea

Liked: 17

Here is a better pic of my air intakes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	43775  

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Cobalt View Post
    UPDATE:
    Spent the past couple weekends building the air box. Decided to build a design similar to Toms. We bought a sheet of pink builders foam, 1 1/2 thick 2ft X 8ft from Home Depot.
    Sliced, diced and shaped to fit. Covered it it with mylar to protect it from the fiberglass resign. Ended up using an epoxy product instead of fiberglass for the first time. Great results. The resin didn't stink!! which was a plus, in some ways. Though I do enjoy a good snort of fiberglass.
    Did a two piece lay up. Top half, bottom half.
    Real happy with the results and thanks Tom for the idea
    (One note: even though epoxy resin doesn't give off noticeable fumes it is still dangerously harmfull & should not be used without a good chemical respirator. Even breathing the dust while sanding cured epoxy is harmful. Lengthy headaches, congestion, etc.)
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

You mean I was supposed to follow the directions and pay attention to the Caution Label? What fun is that?

With 'fiberglass' the room smells and the project 'gasses off' for a few days.
    With the epoxy, we didn't have any of that.
    The ladies in the office portion of the shop we cohabit, I'm sure appreciated that.

Liked: 8

Default Brake ducts

I made a pair of intakes for a customer car out of a pair of roundy-round brake intake ducts. About 4 X 2 inches each, mounted on either side of the head rest. They fit directly into the stock Gixxer air box.
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Thread Information