Thread: Worth the tow

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Default Worth the tow

If this does become a reality I would urge any of you that can make it to venture down for this event. There will be Formula Atlantics, F2000, 2 different F1600 groups, & now FV all running this weekend. It would be a great event & could lead to possibly a few Pro FV events in the future if enough FV's actually show up.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61178

I decided to run in the Pro Series last year full time & miss most of the Canadian events to run different tracks & try to challenge different drivers. Although this will not be a Pro event, it is running the same weekend as the Pro Series. Looks like a lot of people are considering attending this event.

Mid Ohio is one of the best tracks in North America, very technical. I always enjoy Mid Ohio weekends.

The drive is about 5-6 hours from Toronto & well worth it. There is no CACS race scheduled this weekend that I can see.
    Steve Bamford

Liked: 105

This might be a great event for anyone that wants the knock the US race of their "Bucket List". Close enough to S. Ontario that it is not a long haul.

Checking the schedule;

Mosport is June 21-22

Mosport again July 26-27

So the time is perfect for a US race. It would be great to get a strong FV/F1200 showing..I understand that the Pro events are also well organized.
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

Liked: 22

Noel,

Has the F1200 2014 calendar been finalised?

Guy.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Any of the Autumn Challenge races would be worth the tow.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by G.B. View Post
    Noel,

Has the F1200 2014 calendar been finalised?

Guy.
    It is tentative, shannonville was the only question mark. This is the first draft.

April 25/26. Fling
    May 3/4. Bemc
    May 24/25. Shannonville
    June 21/22. Ctmp
    July 26/27. Ctmp
    August 23/24 calabogie
    Sept 27/28. Ctmp
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar
    Liked: 4

I understand DAC could not get a suitable date so their is no Regional there in 2014.
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

Liked: 36

Any news on CTMP tracks?is 2014 same track as 2013?or is main track going to be for Pro Racing only and regional/club racing on new track?

Liked: 22

Noel,

Thank you for posting the tentative schedule.

If as Jonathan Hirst points out, if Shannoville is not going to happen, it would mean adding the September BEMC weekend Mosport to make up the Six F1200 weekends. That would make 15 of the 18 races at Mosport.

It reminds me of the Monty Python Spam sketch.

Would the FTDA consider running a weekend in the US, in conjunction with the Autumn Challenge; whilst Autumn Challenge reciprocates, having a round at Mosport (CTMP)?

Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Stone View Post
    Any news on CTMP tracks?is 2014 same track as 2013?or is main track going to be for Pro Racing only and regional/club racing on new track?
    All races at CTMP will be held on the "big" Grand Prix track
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

Liked: 18

Cough, cough. Calabogie.

Noel,

If as Jonathan Hirst points out, if Shannoville is not going to happen, it would mean adding the September BEMC weekend Mosport to make up the Six F1200 weekends. That would make 15 of the 18 races at Mosport.

Would the FTDA consider running a weekend in the US, in conjunction with the Autumn Challenge; whilst Autumn Challenge reciprocates, having a round at Mosport (CTMP)?

Guy.
    Ground Hog Day
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

Noel,

Guy.
    There was talk of doing 2 US and 2 Can race in a mini Cam-Am series. Harry would probably be best to Confirm details. Shane maybe able to shed some light?

But seeing as there is a couple of Large gaps between Race weekends, there may be an opportunity to gather some support from some of the F1200 drivers to attend some races.

Don't know what the US schedules look like, as far as dates go?

But looking at some of the distances to a couple of tracks (from Toronto), but all are reasonable distances.

Watkins Glen -4 Hours
    Mid-Ohio - 6 hours
    Nelson Ledges - 4.5 hours

Don't know what other tracks should be included.
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

Liked: 15

If the FTDA makes a race or two in the US for points. Some Canadian cars would not be eligable to race in the states. Some cars don't have fire systems. Now your forcing people to put out money to upgrade cars to be able to run in the series.

From what I got out of the meeting alot of people are resistant to changing or upgrading our cars due to to the cost factor. (we don't want to change anything ever) Thats the feeling I got. But now it is ok to make a points race in the states where some people are not eligable to run. I guess that makes sense....

As fun as it would be to race on some other tracks I don't think it is in our series best interest. For every "one" person you gain on the grid in the states you will probaly loose one canadian entrant.

If Calabogies entrant numbers are any indication. Calabogie and Shannonville I believe had the lowest number of entries this year. What do you think is going to happen if we say were going to run once or twice in the states?
    Kapelke Tuned

RF93 Van Diemen FF1600

Liked: 200

Quote Originally Posted by nbrigido View Post
    There was talk of doing 2 US and 2 Can race in a mini Cam-Am series. Harry would probably be best to Confirm details. Shane maybe able to shed some light?

But seeing as there is a couple of Large gaps between Race weekends, there may be an opportunity to gather some support from some of the F1200 drivers to attend some races.

Don't know what the US schedules look like, as far as dates go?

But looking at some of the distances to a couple of tracks (from Toronto), but all are reasonable distances.

Watkins Glen -4 Hours
    Mid-Ohio - 6 hours
    Nelson Ledges - 4.5 hours

Don't know what other tracks should be included.
    The current plan of this CAN-AM series would be separate from the F1200 series. F1200 would maintain a 6 race series with the regional CASC calender. Then there would be an additional series which would combine two Mosport races and two races at the Glen. All the races would be run at F1200 spec. Our American friends have agreed to conform to our rules for the wheels/tires and intake manifold. The only thing that we would have to do (if not already done) is to add in a fire suppression system. Again, this will not effect the F1200 6 weekend series.

Also, Jon is correct, from what I have been told there will not be a Shannonville race this year, and there will not be a "short" course race at Mosport this year...only the big track. I guess none of the clubs are interested in taking that risk yet.
    Shane Viccary
    #27 Citation-Zink Z-16

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Quote Originally Posted by AVR_Shane View Post
    The current plan of this CAN-AM series would be separate from the F1200 series. F1200 would maintain a 6 race series with the regional CASC calender. Then there would be an additional series which would combine two Mosport races and two races at the Glen. All the races would be run at F1200 spec. Our American friends have agreed to conform to our rules for the wheels/tires and intake manifold. The only thing that we would have to do (if not already done) is to add in a fire suppression system. Again, this will not effect the F1200 6 weekend series.
    Good for FTDA for trying something different. It hopefully will continue to grow interest in the series. Smart not to include it in the points for the US races.
    Steve Bamford

Liked: 36

I bought my Mysterian in the States so it had a fire system already,what sort of money are we talking for a fire-system complete for you guys?I agree that there are to many races at CTMP,I always thought that.Whats the input/problems etc with running a race or two in Quebec?

Liked: 47

Don't mean to be a wet blanket on this subject, but I feel I need to step in here.

As far as the potential schedule for the Challenge Cup is concerned, there has been nothing definitive set yet, so speculation on a four race "Can-Am" type series is conjecture at this point. We are waiting for the full SCCA schedule to be made public before analyzing the dates and moving forward with a schedule.

If we run at Mosport (and I personally would like to) we would want to have our drivers run your tires, but that is also up for internal discussion at this point.

All this is also dependent on finding a series sponsor for 2014. We are in discussion with several individuals, but nothing is firm yet.

I appreciate all your enthusiasm for trying to do something together across borders, but we need to maybe throttle back a bit here. I will be posting something as soon as decisions are made and appreciate your patience until then.

Greg Davis

Thread Information